FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music WAITIKI - New album is here! Info on 5/23 CD release party, Tampa tour coverage
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
WAITIKI - New album is here! Info on 5/23 CD release party, Tampa tour coverage
waitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-15 11:25 am   Permalink

Okonkuluku all ye villagers!

It's finally time to announce our brand new record - literally! That's right, "Rendezvous in Okonkuluku" (RIO) is at the press and will be released on 5/23/07 (Yup, a Wednesday) at our old standby, the Milky Way in Jamaica Plain. Joining us will be the middle-eastern sounds of ZilZALA (zilzala.com) and the "Triple-S" exotic WAITIKI Wahine dancers, Shakti, Sarah, and Samarra.

The Wednesday CD Release will be followed up with a 12" vinyl release (limited edition print, including a bonus track and different artwork). Eventually, the full album will be on iTunes as well. You can PRE-ORDER the CD now ($15 coconuts) online via PayPal/Credit Card too.

PRESS RELEASE:
http://www.waitiki.com/cdrelease
CD INFO: http://waitiki.com/rendezvous-in-okonkuluku.cfm

TAMPA TOUR COVERAGE:
Tampa , FL was a blast last week. We played a great show at Skipper's Smokehouse which was off the hook - a great "down by the bayou" kinda hang. The next day, we participated in the awesome Tropical Heatwave festival put on by WMNF radio - a great community station with lots of local listener support. The southern hospitality was great (mahalo to Randy Wynne and Lindalu especially)! The entire trip was topped off with a killer feast at the newly-named "Rusty Key" tiki bar in Pablus' backyard. Delish kau-kau accompanied a great grog selection of Concubines, Planet of the Apes, and Scorpions - all served in Pablus' collection of approved containers (see photos). TikiCentral in the house!

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30459236@N00/
Bradenton Herald newspaper article: http://www.waitiki.com/press.cfm

Please come hang with us on Wednesday, 5/23/07 at 9pm and we'll see you in Okonkuluku!

Mahalo,
WAITIKI
http://waitiki.com

Exotic Tiki-tainment from Polynesia and Beyond

View Profile of waitiki Send a personal message to waitiki  Email waitiki Goto the website of waitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-15 12:15 pm   Permalink

This CD is remarkable.
Very much in a class by itself.
The songs, the musicianship and the recording itself are right on the money.

It only cost me some roasted pig meat, about 8 thousand grains of rice and some raw fish.
Oh yeah, rum.

It was worth every bit of it to be one of the first to experience it.

Drank Sumatra is my new role model.
OKONKULU!!!

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-15 6:54 pm   Permalink

I can't believe I'm actually going to be able to make the CD release party! I have a company outing in Boston and dinner following so I'll already be in the neighborhood (well at least closer than trekking from the Isle of Rhodes).

See you guys next week!!!

Pablus - nice job on the Rusty Key:)

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 03:47 am   Permalink

It's on vinyl too!!!!

Will you have some of these at the Hukilau?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 06:46 am   Permalink

Looking forward to seeing you Johnman!

If there is any way to have vinyl ready for Hukilau, we will do everything to see it through. Right now, we are just focused on having the CD ready for next week!

Stay tuned here for updates.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 09:33 am   Permalink

Sweeetness!!!

I'm on board for this one as well. Not gonna be in the area, but I took thursday off from work!

See ya there!

OKONKULU!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 7:21 pm   Permalink

Bargoyle you really have your priorities straight. Nice work man.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 06:11 am   Permalink

Bargoyle needs thursday off. Too old to play on a school night.

Found this out after going to midnight show of Spiderman3 on thursday (1st show) a few weeks back. 6 am comes at you quick! And I wasnt even drinking.....that much.

There was a time when I could drink all night, sleep for a few hours, work, and then be right back at it the next night. Those day, sadly, are long gone.

Just wait till the Tiki Tour man. I bet I'm not the only old fart who needs a nap at some point during that all day orgy of booze.

See ya in JP!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 2:29 pm   Permalink

I pitty the fool who doesnt buy the new Waitiki album!!

Now quit that jibber-jabber and go buy it.

Seriously though, the new album is friggin amazing.

Great work Waitiki!!

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 09:28 am   Permalink

I just listened to this one again yesterday while I was working at the house.

You can always tell a great album when your favorite keeps switching with every other listen.

I'm curious as to where the bar was recorded behind Drank Sumatra's voice.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brocleve

Posted: 2007-05-27 10:58 am   Permalink

it's the "Molokai Bar" at the "Hotel Okonkuluku". Where else could "Drank Sumatra" sing????

View Profile of brocleve Send a personal message to brocleve  Email brocleve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 5:43 pm   Permalink

Ahhh, of course.

Welcome to TC, Brother Cleve.
Excellent job you did with our friends. Mahalo.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 9:53 pm   Permalink

You guys are masters at what you do... "Charred Mammal Flesh" is a true gem. I'll be getting "Okonkuluku" shortly...

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 08:14 am   Permalink

The album owes so many mahalos and okonkulus to Cleve, Sam Gambino, and everyone else who helped us out. I think anyone who has yet to receive the album will find that our production values are pretty high, and Cleve sure made it clear during mixing and mastering what the standards are for true exotica. And, the artwork/illustration is truly amazing -- we all have Sam to thank for that. You might be interested to know that the photography was all done for Waitiki no stock photos here (not for the CD, and not for the vinyl) ... the model is none other than Sherry Shaoling of Don Tiki fame, and photography by Jason Goodman. I'm really proud of this release!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 10:32 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention the Lounge King! He did the artwork for the vinyl! It's gonna be killn'!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation