FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Maui International Festival of Canoes 2007 (2008 pg3)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Maui International Festival of Canoes 2007 (2008 pg3)
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 04:07 am   Permalink

Aloha gang, TCers and lurkers. Today I was lucky enough to get away from the house for a while and go check out some carvers from all over the Pacific. Fortunately they are all here on Maui for Maui International Festival of Canoes. Dubbed "Maui's Signature Cultural Heritage Event." I figured I could use some cultural heritage enrichment or whatevahs and while I'm at it share it with all of you.

When I arrived I could almost feel the energy in the air(or was it the saw dust?) The first thing you see when entering the park is this huge Hale Halawai (meeting house) It's quite impressive even in this premature state. I'm not certain if it is to be finished at the end of the festival.

The Pahu carver was MIA.
When you walk past the meeting house you are greeted by roaring sounds of 2stroke engines in full swing as about a dozen chainsaws buzz away at some massive logs.

The first carvers I see are a group of Tongan men carving a Whale. They all seem quite content smiling as they work together. one worked on the barnacles and protuberances on the giant whale as another chipped away at his fluke.

Then what did I see directly behind them? It was the tallest tiki I think I've seen. It's laying down and barely started but I can already tell it will be impressive.

Then I checked out the custom old school boards. Here's Shaper Kenny Tilton with a beauty of a board. They had some killer paipos too.

The Moolele hauled out.

Then I made my way around to the New Zealand Waka area and they're are carving this cool TekoTeko

It was a lot of fun and I'll post more info about the carvers soon. I'm gonna go back to get some shots of the finished art works as well.

Aloha
E

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2007-05-17 04:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2008-06-26 16:49 ]

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 05:55 am   Permalink

WOW, How Lucky were you to be there. What an Amazing pool of talentchopping away, not to mention the Ancients who were there by the scores and who, I'm sure, got their licks in with the Adzes and chain saws.( Yes they LOVE New tools!)
Take as many pictures as you can because this is a once in a life time event that will hold great memories for Many years to come.
Here I am being Very Envious. (:-)

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 07:00 am   Permalink

THAT is very cool. Wish I could be there. Let the ancients flow thru your blood.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 07:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-17 05:55, Benzart wrote:

Take as many pictures as you can

Second that! We should get a team together and apply for this event next year!

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 07:35 am   Permalink

Does this take place every year?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 11:02 am   Permalink

Way too cool. There looks like some awesome action going on. i was lucky enough one year to be in Kona for the racing. Can't wait for the extra pics.
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-17 04:07, AlienTiki wrote:
They had some killer paipos too.

Looks like a magical event - you must get a few cool cultural/creative gatherings like this in Hawaii? I love anything to do with canoes and voyaging, especially if tikis are involved. I'll be eagerly awaiting more pics too!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 3:23 pm   Permalink

I would have loved to have been there and listened to the saws and watch them working on those huge logs. I live for that stuff! Man I bet you had the greatest time. Please post more pics of the teko and the sea life carvings if you have any more or if you go back again? If you have other pics or can take more of the rough out stages that would be great, as well as any pics of the carvings closer to completion. Pretty please? If you don't want to post them I understand, but please send them to my email??!!!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 3:38 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2007-05-17 15:39 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 8:25 pm   Permalink

Looks like a great event, can't wait to see more pictures

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-21 12:00 pm   Permalink

Aloha gang,
Sorry I have not posted sooner.

This event is ongoing until the 26th when the parade happens. It is an annual event but the carvers can vary from year to year. I'm sorry I don't have more pictures now but check
here for pics of the previous years.

Thanks for all the interest and yes I promise I will go get more pics of the finished works as I plan to go back twice this week.

Aloha
e

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-21 6:05 pm   Permalink

Alien,

This is nice stuff, would love to be there and just sit and watch under a palm. Thanks for the pics and the link!
Look forward to the next pictures!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 6:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks, Back again with some new photos.
Some more killer boards.

And check the tiki and malolo.

Then I met Male(pronounced Mal-Lay not mail)

He is the son and apprentice of the master carver Sitiveni "Steven" Fe'Ao Fehoko. Pictured in the red shirt working on the "Tu" here.

Male insisted I step over the rope dividing the carver from the gawkers and feel the muscles of the whale. Incredible is all I can say the detail that has gone into it.

Then over to the waka area but I could not find the TekoTeko. In it's place was this prow?

I don't know much about it.

then I saw this canoe waiting for the outrigger to be attached.

Oh an there's the Teko soaking up the rays.

I'll try and get some more pics Friday.

Aloha
E

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 6:50 pm   Permalink

Oh hell yes! Thanks for that Alien!!!!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 7:04 pm   Permalink

YES, What an Experience just to see the pictures, I can't imagine BEING THERE, you will feel the Power for the rest of your Life!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation