FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Maui International Festival of Canoes 2007 (2008 pg3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Maui International Festival of Canoes 2007 (2008 pg3)
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:11 pm   Permalink

Way cool Pics!!!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:11 pm   Permalink

Wow...that whale is just unbelievably beautiful...AMAZING!!! Great pics...thanks.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:36 pm   Permalink

Really loving this, thanks for the pics

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:37 pm   Permalink

Oh hell yeah again. Nice!
Thanks for sharing and posting those.
Sperm Whale, Blue Whale, wot the hale?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 07:20 am   Permalink

These are so slick, real smooth carving. That whale looks life-size. And the 'Tu' ones are GREAT. Do these pros carve Tiki's year round? For who?

Buzzy - you should jump over there and give those guys a hand. (Et Tu, Buzzy?)

And - what kind of giant logs are those??? Anybody know?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amspuckett

Posted: 2007-06-14 3:00 pm   Permalink

It sounds as though you enjoyed the Festival of Canoes 2007. Your pictures were great.
I was fortunate be involved this year, working behind the scenes and with the carvers. What an experience! I was also able to attended the “Two on Tattoo” workshop done by Tricia Allen.
Did you get a chance to attend any workshops? Did you attended the Parade/Launch Ceremony? I got to pull the Micronesian Canoe in the parade and had a little ride after the launch....defiantly awesome!

Planning for Festival of Canoes 2008 is already full swing. Being that it is the 10th year of the Master Carvers coming to Maui, we have some exciting plans.

If you want to keep posted or get involved with the Festival for 2008 check out the website
www.mauicanoefest.com

Aloha,
Audra

View Profile of amspuckett Send a personal message to amspuckett  Email amspuckett     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 5:34 pm   Permalink

bump

The 2008 Maui Internation Festival of Canoes starts tomorrow!

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:48 am   Permalink

thanks for bumping JP - what a cool thread.

pity the above link goes to a cheap meds page??!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:54 am   Permalink

Try this one

http://www.mauifestivalofcanoes.com/home/home.htm

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rexster314

Posted: 2008-05-22 5:39 pm   Permalink

Was this at the park across from 505 Front St?

Rex

View Profile of rexster314 Send a personal message to rexster314      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 4:48 pm   Permalink

Wow missed this post tell now! COOL!!
More Pics!

thanks alien

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 12:37 am   Permalink

International Festival of Canoes: Part 1

"" Every year Maui showcases the tradition of canoe building at its International Festival of Canoes.

We take you there and visit with a respected elder from New Zealand who makes the trip every year.

The chainsaws are buzzing with life, a notably different sound from canoe building in the past. But these men from around the Pacific, in New Zealand, Samoa, Micronesia and Hawaii, are working to complete a new canoe in just two weeks.

Of the many crews and master carvers who come to the festival, only Aotearoa's Hekenukumai Busby, has made the trip for 10 years straight.

His reason for coming is the gratitude he feels for Nainoa Thompson and the Hawaiians who helped revitalize celestial navigation in Aotearoa. ""

http://tinyurl.com/3nug9j

[ This Message was edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-04 00:39 ]

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 12:41 am   Permalink

International Festival of Canoes: Part 2

"" Each year Maui's International Festival of Canoes features a different carving crew from outside Polynesia. This year, we introduce you to the team from the island of Yap in Micronesia. Chief Bruno Thamgan is doing what he normally does on his home island of Yap, carving canoes. But this time he is doing it much quicker. "What takes me two months to do back home in Yap, Micronesia only takes me two days to do here. The equipment is much faster than what we have." Bruno is here with a crew of four, including his sone who will be the first graduate of the Yap Traditional Maritime Institute. The school was founded in 2006 and strives to perserve traditional Yapese canoe building, sailing, and navigating practices. "There are not very many people that can build canoes. I am the last of a breed that knows how to build canoes in the traditional Yapese way. I want to pass it on to my kids and children of Yap." Festival coordinators look forward to seeing the different styles of canoe building each year. Mahalo to Chief Bruno and all the participants in this year's International Festival of Canoes. We can't wait to see what Maui plans for its 12th annual event. ""

http://tinyurl.com/4a6yxf

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 07:01 am   Permalink

Holy Kokonut, is that anchorwoman ever cute! Is she Tina Chau? Va-va-va-VROOOOM!

The canoe carving is pretty cool too.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 07:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-05 07:01, Cammo wrote:
Holy Kokonut, is that anchorwoman ever cute! Is she Tina Chau? Va-va-va-VROOOOM!

The canoe carving is pretty cool too.

She's pretty damned alright in my book, man! Are those authentic Hawaiian chainsaws they're using?

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation