FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Crucial Blender Assistance/Advice Desired!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Crucial Blender Assistance/Advice Desired!
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-21 4:49 pm   Permalink

The beehive Osterizer my parents got as a wedding gift is still going strong 36 years later... GOOOOO Osterizer!

That's a strong vote for the Osterizer.

(What the heck does it mean to be Osterized, anyway? Not Ostracized - I know all about that)

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-21 7:23 pm   Permalink

i have an osterizer (chrome) that came with the wife, and it works great......but when it finally blows up, what is the best modern blender out there and how much?

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quarterto3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-23 10:19 pm   Permalink

Well, I too have been in the market for a new blender and was thrilled when I saw this post. However, after reviewing all of the subsequent posts, I was disappointed to find that there wasn't one real concensus choice. So, after a few days of online research, I stumbled upon Overstock.com where they have two different Waring Professional Bar Blenders (commercial 2 speed types) for ridiculousy low prices. I chose the 390 watt, Metallic Blue blender. It retaied for $180.00 but Overstock.com is selling them for $47.99!!! With no tax and shipping and handling at only $2.95, I got my professional Waring Bar Blender for $50.94 out the door. I have to believe this is a special deal. Once I get it hooked up, I'll report back with a review. If your interested, they also have a 350 watt for $37.99. Good luck.

View Profile of Quarterto3 Send a personal message to Quarterto3      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 12:36 am   Permalink

Dang, Quarterto3!!! Sounds like quite a Good Deal! I gotta admit... I own about 5 of the cheap plastic suckers constructed in the 70s (due to inheritance) and all of 'em work marvelously. I can't imagine buying another one of 'em since I've already got so many.
The Key, folks, is... DO NOT USE A BLENDER TO CRUSH YOUR ICE! I mean... THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE ICE CRUSHERS, isn't it? Don't rely on your freakin' Refrigerator Door to do it Either!
If you have a good Ice Crusher any good blender will blend a drink. The cheap plastic ones my Grandmothers and Great Aunts bought in 1974 are still doing wonderfully in 2003.
If, of course, you feel the need to Impress... I guess you could spend hours and hours over months and months (with an unlimited budget) searching for the perfect Retro Blender on eBay.
Good luck, though, with whatever you decide!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 9:59 pm   Permalink

Well,

Big gracias to Quarterto3, I went over and snagged a retro green Waring at overstock.com.

Unbelievable mark downs!

I think I'll watch Ebay for the Island Oasis machine too!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quarterto3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-30 09:49 am   Permalink

Just an update on my Overstock.com blender purchase. I placed the order on Wednesday the 22nd at around 8:00 p.m. PST and opted for the cheapest shipping and handling they offered which was $2.95 but they claimed it would take like 10 days to arrive. Well, much to my surprise, I discovered a large package on my doorstep from Fed Ex on Tuesday the 28th and it was my Waring PBB-217MB professional bar blender. It arrived in one piece and is working like a charm. I'm thinking of picking up a few more while the supply lasts and giving them out as Christmas gifts because nothing says Mele Kalikimaka like a new professional blender to mix the perfect drink.

View Profile of Quarterto3 Send a personal message to Quarterto3      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-30 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-25 00:36, Traitor Vic wrote:
I guess you could spend hours and hours over months and months (with an unlimited budget) searching for the perfect Retro Blender on eBay.
Good luck, though, with whatever you decide!

You can get the classic chrome beehive Oster on Ebay for $5 most of the time. The shipping might be high since they are heavy. But that's little to pay. Just be sure the spindle is not eaten up from being tortured and it should last a long time. Crushes ice like a champ!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 7:17 pm   Permalink

I'm on my 2nd KitchenAid Heavy Duty blender now and am still not impressed.

I'm looking at the Waring Mega Pro. 1hp motor and 900 watts of ice-crushing, Blue Hawaii mixing power. Has anyone tried this baby?

Aloha,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 8:10 pm   Permalink

Your'e killin me! I just checked the overstock.com site for the PDA I just replaced and found it for $50 less! Damn!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-16 10:05 pm   Permalink

I use a sunbeam the one with the big pitchers and the bigger motor when my tiki bar is indoors. I use a tail gator gas powered blender when my tiki bar is outdoors.
http://www.totallygross.com (its obnoxous and its overkill, but boy does it make smooth drinks).

Best of all the pictures are interchangable so I can make several drinks before I have to clean out one of the pitchers.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-17 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-16 19:17, vegasvic wrote:
I'm on my 2nd KitchenAid Heavy Duty blender now and am still not impressed.

I'm looking at the Waring Mega Pro. 1hp motor and 900 watts of ice-crushing, Blue Hawaii mixing power. Has anyone tried this baby?

Aloha,

Vic

Why not just crush the ice with an ice crusher and then blend the drink? I do that with a vintage Waring Blendor single speed and I have no problems with the motor. It seems to me that the drinks might be over blended or too much like a slushy if you use ice cubes in your blender drinks.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-17 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Why not just crush the ice with an ice crusher and then blend the drink? I do that with a vintage Waring Blendor single speed and I have no problems with the motor. It seems to me that the drinks might be over blended or too much like a slushy if you use ice cubes in your blender drinks.

I have a repro vintage ice crusher (hand crank) that works well for 1 or 2 drinks. However, when you need to make fifteen margaritas and you don't want to spend 30 minutes crushing ice the blender is the only answer.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-17 9:49 pm   Permalink

I was frequenting the local Goodwill, as I have been know to do on occasion, when I came across a weird shaped "harvest gold" plastic device in the appliance section. Come to find out, it was a Waring ice crusher attachment that sits on top of my blender just like the pitcher would and crushes ice like you wouldn't believe. I never knew such a thing existed and I would assume they don't make them anymore but, if you've got a Waring blender keep your eyes open for one!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation