FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Backyard Pond Progress Pix - Update
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Backyard Pond Progress Pix - Update
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 07:54 am   Permalink

Okay I'm FINALLY getting some work done to my backyard pond! A few years ago I posted something here about building my 'dream pond'. Well I started it a year and a half ago and it's been just a muddy hole sitting there. Richard says he'll kill me if I don't have it done for 4th of July.... so... LOOK!

I'm finally moving on it! It will be chlorinated.. it's meant to be a wading pond... so we'll be able to sit in it and put our cocktails on the edge. Water depth will be about 32" and the whole thing is roughly 16 feet long by about 7 feet wide. I've got the equipment hooked up to it already. It's got a pool pump, strainer basket and cartridge filter. With the pump I have, the entire water volume will be replaced about every hour or so. That fiberglass rock thing on the right will be a waterfall. My version of Schweitzer Falls! There will be another small waterfall on the left.
The concrete inside will be sculpted in very smooth rock shapes, and then the concrete above will be to look like lava rock formations. There will be lots of planter pockets hidden in the rockwork above. The rock will be black. I'll use an epoxy sealer on the underwater sections and plain paint on the top sections.
Our friend Tony is coming over later today to help me pour the back edge, and then tonight I will do the finish sculpting on the back edge section.
It's getting there!!

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: pariartspaul 2007-05-18 08:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pariartspaul 2007-05-18 08:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pariartspaul 2007-06-13 08:56 ]

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 08:47 am   Permalink

Holy Cow! This is gonna be awesome! I have year old mud hole/future pond in my backyard too that is screaming for attention. I've been toying with the idea of doing a crete pond like yours instead of a liner pond. Looks like alot of work and $$$! Feel free to post many, many progress shots. I'd love to see how this all comes together.
I'll check back soon.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 08:50 am   Permalink

Yeehaw! Looking good, Paul!! Love to see these "in process" shots. July 4th, huh?

Good Luck... will be watching for the next progress report.

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-18 08:57 am   Permalink

The wall pockets for plants is a good idea.
Be sure to make them tall enough that the fish
can't dig in there. Koi will take every bit of rocks/dirt out of your planters.
Also you should make a few underwater caves of some sort
so the fish will be able to hide from predatory animals.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 09:47 am   Permalink

Hey tikiskip... no fish! It will be chlorinated like pool water. And surf-n-turf, yes a lot of work, but not too expensive considering. Most of the metal is junk I found over time, along with some purchased rebar. The base of the big waterfall is actually... ready for this... an old shopping cart I found on the street! Solid steel! Ha! The most expensive thing so far was the actual concrete. $375 delivered from Home Depot. I had 35 80lb bags of regualar concrete and 35 bags of 60lb mortar mix. I'll be out of concrete later today already so I'll have to get another load of it. I'm using the concrete for all the poured sections and then the mortar mix for the sculpted sections. I'm adding lime to the mortar mix. It makes it stick better and thickens it up kind of like clay. The sculpting is the fun part. It's kind of like frosting a cake!

Then I bought some concrete blocks... I still need a few more. And miscellaneous pvc plumbing parts. I have the main drain/inlet to the pump all in, but I still have to do the return line and the waterfall lines. I will have valves to all the returns so I can control the waterfall volumes, or turn them off completely and just have the return into the pool itself if I want.

Oh, the pump, filter and basket were pricey. I think I spend about $300 or so on all that, but I bought them last year so the expenses have been spread out.

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 10:30 am   Permalink

That's going to be nice! Excellent job so far..

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicolemdalton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-18 11:32 am   Permalink

Wow! What a great idea, I've heard of the lined ones but never acutally seen anyone try to make a cement pond. That'd be great if you could get some bubble jets in there somewhere, like a natural, bubbling pond. But it seems awesome without it. I look forward to seeing your progress!

View Profile of nicolemdalton Send a personal message to nicolemdalton  Goto the website of nicolemdalton     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 2:13 pm   Permalink

Sweeeet. Fond memories of the mud hole. lol. It took me 12 months to manifest the serious pond off of our bar's deck as well. We can't sit in ours though. The fish would be pissed!

The waterfall is soothing though.

Very nice!

Envious of the size

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-19 08:19 am   Permalink

Tony came over yesterday and we poured most of the back wall section. It took quite a bit of concrete, but it's SOLID! Then later in the afternoon when it set up I started sculpting the lava texture. So in this picture, you can see the seat which will be underwater, and the transition to lava texture on the wall section. I'm happy with the way it looks.

I wanted to keep the lava section rather smooth and not too rough feeling since people will have contact with it, so I came up with a texture done with a whisk broom and then I put in a few cracks and lava holes. As the texture goes up the waterfall section I'll get more rough with it.

This picture shows a planter we did a few years ago using the same techniques. It looks great, but it's too rough to have in a pond.

Here's another shot of how it's coming. I really like the way this looks! I sculpted some flat spots on the back edge so we have some nice cocktail perches.

So I've used all 35 bags of my concrete now. I'll have to get some more next week.
That the latest!
Paul

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-19 12:32 pm   Permalink

Wow....that is looking awesome Paul. It will be a great place to cool off in the summer heat. Good idea about the cocktail placeholders. Will you have access to muzak....some Les Baxter would be good to the sounds of your waterfall.

Here are some
fish for your pond.

Keep those pictures coming....and love the bamboo surrounding the pond.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-19 9:17 pm   Permalink

Paul, its really nice, I like the natural flow of it, and considering how talented you are in your art, I suspect this will be just as amazing!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 5:02 pm   Permalink

We got a lot done in the last week. Yesterday some friends came over and (between martinis) we managed to get the entire back wall poured!
The picture below shows the whole thing... the big waterfall on the right has been concreted in, and we've got the form of the front wall in.

I did some sculpting today continuing the same look I had before. Up top there you can see our old kitchen sink embedded in lathe ready to be transformed into the smaller, secondary waterfall.

Cheers!

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 9:11 pm   Permalink

Wow! that looks so good. I'm interested in doing something like this once my boy's old enough to not drown himself in it. For now, I get to vicariously live through you as you complete this project.

Oh and thanks for all the information, and the progress photos, I'm sure it will all come in handy one day!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 09:09 am   Permalink

Well, lots of progress in the last couple of weeks! Yesterday we finished off the entire inside basin, and I laid all the flagstone around the edge...

This thing is built like a fortress...the entire basin and sides are SOLID reinforced concrete!! I had to keep ordering more and more concrete because my original 35 bags barely got us halfway around it. Here's how it's totalled up so far... We used 95 80lb bags of concrete mix plus 41 bags of 60 lbs mortar mix. It totals to 10,060 lbs of dry mix, or just over 5 tons! The concrete was definitely the most expensive part so far. But still the total cost for the whole thing so far is still under $1000.

So I have some black acrylic pool paint on order. I expect it this week sometime. I'm using the acrylic pool paint to color the underwater section. At this point I'm not concerned about leakage at all. So the next step is to finish off the waterfall sections and get them plumbed up. Then we have to paint it all and we'll be ready to fill it!

greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 10:33 am   Permalink

this is so cool. i too have a 3 yr old start of a pond in my backyard. tried sealing two pool liners, but the seal never held up completely. over the last two years, i keep hearing mixed pros and cons for linner vs crete. but i love the look of the old crete instalations, such as the Mai Kai and many others. after reading through yours, with the sculpting and such, my mind is made up. incredible use of found objects, Paul. this thread is a great insperation for me. thanks a lot! can't wait to see more.

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation