FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What use for Wray & Nephew Overproof rum?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What use for Wray & Nephew Overproof rum?
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 08:32 am   Permalink

Looking for an excuse to try the Wray & Nephew 126 proof rum. Anybody got a recipe that uses it? Seems to strong for sippin' rum or it might be a I'm a big wuss.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 08:38 am   Permalink

Apart from using it to burn on top of drinks, The only other way I've drunk it, is as a shot.
I wouldn't sip it.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2007-05-22 08:39 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 08:52 am   Permalink

It is great for soaking fruit. Do you skewer slices of fresh pineapple and/or other fruit to garnish your drinks? Try soaking the fruit in Overproof overnight first. The rum bleeds out into the drink, and then, if you're fool enough to eat your garnish (hee hee) you're in for yet another treat.

I also use it for cocktail fireworks. I, personally, have not found any overproof rums to be of value for mixing into drinks or drinking straight.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 08:53 am   Permalink

It makes a great base to macerate ingredients for liqueurs.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 08:52, The Gnomon wrote:
It is great for soaking fruit. Do you skewer slices of fresh pineapple and/or other fruit to garnish your drinks? Try soaking the fruit in Overproof overnight first. The rum bleeds out into the drink, and then, if you're fool enough to eat your garnish (hee hee) you're in for yet another treat.

That is brilliant, I'm totally going to soak my pineapple garnish from here on out. Thank you.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 1:22 pm   Permalink

I believe Holden uses this rum as part of the mai tai ingredients for the mai tai sparkletts dispenser at Mugoomba. He also uses some of the TV Mai Tai cocktail (already with alcohol, not mix), and then adds a few other things. You might be able to get the recipe from him. I don't think I have an ingredient list anymore. He had posted a picture that had the ratio breakdown, but the link is broken. Too bad.
Other uses for overproof, aside from flaming, include making rum swizzles and other drinks. One of the Beachbum Berry books has a recipe for a 151 swizzle.
I've used 151 to liven up a drink that was getting a little too watery. You don't add a set amount, just use enough for the amount of liquid left in the drink. For a drink that's almost gone, I use something that's probably less than 1/4 oz.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiJosh 2007-05-22 13:25 ]

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 8:44 pm   Permalink

It is used for a drink called green dragon.
I can't give you the recipe.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 01:27 am   Permalink

A St Catherine, this is Wray and Nephews signiture serve

25ml Wray & Nephew
25ml Gooseberry & Mint cordial (Belvoir)
12-16 seedless white grapes
8 mint leaves

Or with "Ting" Jamaican grapefruit drink

Or with Milk as the Jamaicans drink it

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 02:30 am   Permalink

gooseberry & mint cordial?

Thanks for the ideas, everybody!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 10:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 08:53, Haole'akamai wrote:
It makes a great base to macerate ingredients for liqueurs.

The pimento liqueur I've made was with Lemon Hart 151, because that's what I had on hand, but some claim that using Wray & Nephew Overproof plus Myers' makes for a final result that is closer to the hard-to-get commercial stuff from Jamaica.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 6:22 pm   Permalink

That stuff tastes like moonshine and makes everything it touches taste like it.

I like moonshine and get the good stuff from Kentucky on occasion, but that Wray and Nephew... blecch.

Get the Lemon Hart Demarara 151.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-24 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 20:44, tikiskip wrote:
It is used for a drink called green dragon.
I can't give you the recipe.

Do you mean a
Green Lizard?

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-24 1:16 pm   Permalink

A great drink for Wray & Nephew Overproof is a Cuba Libre. Don't go light on the lime.

W&N is quite smooth for its strength.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 4:20 pm   Permalink

Nope it's a green dragon.
You can find it on the net.
Cheech and Chong may be able to get you the stuff you need for it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 11:00 am   Permalink

I almost forgot about this.

Ever hear of Joy Spence? She's the Appleton Master Blender/Chief Blender, responsible for kicking out the likes of V/X, Extra, Legacy, and 21 (succeeding Owen Tulloch).

Quote:
Joy's favorite rum is the V/X Jamaica Rum which she drinks with soda water, and she also enjoys Wray and Nephew White Overproof Rum and Ting (a Jamaican grapefruit soda).

From the Appleton site under The Joy of Rum

I was reminded of that when I saw this...

Quote:

On 2007-05-23 01:27, cheekytiki wrote:
Or with "Ting" Jamaican grapefruit drink

Of course, Joy's indirect endorsement could be company hype to sell more OP, but the combination does sound like it has merit. Even though I'm not a big fan of mixing cocktails with any kind of overproof rum, I've been definitely planning to give this a try. Every few weeks or so the county liquor stores here have been putting W&N OP on sale, so (with Ting already in the house) I'm waiting for the OP sale price to come around (if it doesn't take too long).

Ting is expensive around here—usually $1.25 for a little 10 oz. bottle, sometimes more, and definitely more if you order one in a Jamaican restaurant. But Ting is really great, especially, if you knew and loved a soda in antiquity called Squirt. They make a soda called Squirt now (same logo, etc.), but it's not the same soda (doesn't come close). The cheapest way to get Ting around here is to go to a Jamaican/Caribbean grocery store and buy it by the case. If you just want to try it, I see it sometimes in supermarkets that require a more elaborate than average ethnic food section.

In the 50's and 60's, Coca Cola tasted like Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper tasted like Dr. Pepper, and Squirt tasted like Squirt. I think it was in the late 60's that Coke changed its formula, ruining it. I don't think Dr. Pepper was ruined until the early 70's. I have no idea when Squirt lost its identity. None of these sodas today taste anything like they were when they were great. Schweppes owns Squirt now, but it's produced in the US by Dr. Pepper/7-Up.

Anyway, while a real Coke and a real Dr. Pepper are things of the past, you can get the effect of a real Squirt because Ting tastes just like original Squirt. In fact, Squirt used to be the only soda I recall that was sold in little 10 oz. bottles, dark green, just like Ting. I think Ting copied Squirt in every way possible, but fortunately, Ting still tatses like Squirt. Now Squirt tastes awful.

Sorry. Didn't mean to rant. Getting back to the W&N OP and Ting. Ting is a strong grapefruit soda and could very well stand up to the power of an overproof. I'm particularly hopeful, considering it is supposedly a favorite of Appleton's Chief Blender, whose taste in rum I very much appreciate.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-05-30 11:12 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation