FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove - June 30th!! It don't cost nuthin!!
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 10:15 pm   Permalink

Ok, I'm taking Wheeler's advise and beginning, or continuing this conversation on a new thread.

So June 30th it is! We got a game...I have a very early show of hands from the following victims...

Mieko - (yes - you have to come)
Tiki Kate - (yes)
pdrake - (long drive - short flight - hope you can make it man)
Cammo - (yes)
Buzzy - (yes)
Zaya - (yes)
CheekyGirl - (yes)
4WD - (yes)
TikiDav - (yes)
Ona - (yes)
Moki - (yes)
Clysdale - (where are you man?)
Davez_Tikiz - (Not this time - have fun with the wife man!)
Tmec - (what about you - in?)

If you've never been to a So. Cal Chop Chop, now's the time...love to have you no matter what skill level, or even if you just want to come over and hang...it's all good.

Comments from/to the other thread....

Hey, we would love to see some stone stuff pdrake, bring it on for sure. I will consider, but I'm afraid those girls will really thump up on the locals if I drag um down there...it ain't pretty bro.

It's kind like this...yes, sure, Saturday night is "fight night" at the ole "Bottom's End" down the street on the corner, but those fellas are really pretty mellow the rest of the week...they all just kind of hang out drinking, nursing wounds, and looking out the front window at the street light all night long. Some of those locals (Grovers) are pretty darn smart and all, being able to name off those bugs a committing suicide in that street light like they do....and Cammo, I don't know if they would allow hook knifes or not during fight night? I do know that "box knife hour" is between 12:30 am & 1:30 am....it use to be between the hours of 10:00 pm & 11:00 pm with drink specials, but participants tended not to order many drinks after, so the owner "Tiny" moved the event back to later in the evening.

Never seen the Grover movies, but I would sure like to....I will pm directions when we get closer, I'm about 10 minutes, or so east on the 94 from downtown San Diego

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2007-06-05 22:16 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 06:06 am   Permalink

THE LEMON GROVE KIDS MEET THE MONSTERS is actually three 16mm shorts edited together, blown up to 35mm, and unleashed to kiddie matinees sometime in the late 60s. It's an obvious homage to The Bowery Boys/East Side Kids pictures of the 40s and 50s. Ray Steckler stars (under his then screen name, Cash Flagg) as comic character Gopher, and his resemblance to Huntz Hall (and imitation of him) is right on the money.

The three 16mm shorts are: THE LEMON GROVE KIDS, LEMON GROVE KIDS MEET THE GREEN GRASSHOPPER AND THE VAMPIRE LADY FROM OUTER SPACE and LEMON GROVE KIDS GO HOLLYWOOD. The first episode has Steckler's Huntz Hall clone Gopher and a bogus Leo Gorcey named Slug (Mike Cannon) and their neighborhood pals involved in a cross-country race with a rival gang. This concludes with an attack by a Lon Chaney-like mummy played none other than Bob Burns. The second episode has Gopher, Slug, some other guys and kiddies running into a vampire woman and grasshopper man who kidnap unsuspecting neighbors, putting them in a trance.

The last story has no Slug (sort of like what happened to the real Bowery Boys when Gorcey left), but Gopher, a guitar-strumming Ray Haydock, and some children trying to save a Tinseltown starlet from a duo of bumbling thugs.

Steckler shot the screwball adventures of the Lemon Grove Kids in his Californian neighborhood, mostly in his backyard and in his house, casting friends and family, including his young children. Although they tend to have a "home movie" look (at times they resemble the live action segments of the 60s Three Stooges cartoon show), the sharp editing, capable camera work and colorful antics make this interesting enough as a harmless tribute to old-time comedy, slapstick humor and monster movies. The cast also includes Steckler's then-wife and leading lady Carolyn Brandt.

The year of this title is usually given as 1965 or 1966, but some segments were shot earlier and some later (judging from Gopher's sudden elongated sideburns in the last two shows). People have reported seeing it in the theaters (with the episodes in different order) in the late 60s and early 70s, when they had ushers dressed as monsters running down the isles--namely a mummy to coincide with an added sequence shot specifically for this stunt.

(from the "Psychotronic Index of Film")

I think I know where I can rent this.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 06:35 am   Permalink

Cam,

This is very cool indeed! These are a must see for sure...thanks for posting all of this info.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 07:01 am   Permalink

I'm in suckas!!! just had to make sure all my other stuff was pushed off.....so now I'm set!...but man.....the 30th is soooo far away

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-30 07:39 am   Permalink

Can we get a head count for how many are interested in making slip-cast molds? Materials will need to be purchased. I don't have anything to do the demo on, so whoever has a piece to be molded, please speak up. If we've got more than one, I'll demo on one of them, and the others can follow along as we go. Or you can all make your own and I'll just supervise.

Pieces to be molded can be made from sealed wood, oil clay, fired ceramic, or any other material that will not melt like the Wicked Witch of the West when water hits it.

Also, be aware of undercuts.

I'd like them to be the about the size of a mug to expediate time.

I would like to see some pictures of what is to be molded to check them over first, so either post 'em here, or PM me if your the shy type.

The mold making will probably take most of the day, so whoever is going to be involved will probably not get much chopping done.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 09:17 am   Permalink

Clysdalle, You can make it bro...it's only a month.

Ok Dav, I'll put the carving on hold for now and ready something....How about a tribute "So Cal. Chop Chop" mug? We can make the mold, I'll cast and fire, glaze just enough mugs to give everyone at the Chop 2 each, then we'll take a hammer to the mold....that sounds like fun!

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 09:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 09:17, Babalu wrote:
Ok Dav, I'll put the carving on hold for now and ready something....How about a tribute "So Cal. Chop Chop" mug? We can make the mold, I'll cast and fire, glaze just enough mugs to give everyone at the Chop 2 each, then we'll take a hammer to the mold....that sounds like fun!

Best idea ever!

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 09:39 am   Permalink

I'll 2nd that! Fantastic idea! Since I missed whole mold/casting in the March Chop Chop. I'm all over this!

I've only got the finishing touches on my first tiki and plan on staining on the 30th.

Kate, I think I'm gonna name the tiki the "Leaf Me Alone Tiki", because I messed with it so much.

Can't wait!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 10:07 am   Permalink

That is a GREAT idea. Maybe the front of the mug can have a tiki, the back can have all the TC names of people who've ever attended a Chop Chop in alphabetical order!

Hey, I don't know about you folks but these Chops are way fun, there may be more booze at other events but even the worst parts (constantly getting hit by Clysdalle's flying chips, Aaron getting a sharp stick in the eye, having to drive with my trunk loosely bungy corded down) are more interesting than sitting around a bar ordering a 4th round of rum punch.

Long Live the Choppers!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 10:07, Cammo wrote:
..the back can have all the TC names of people who've ever attended a Chop Chop in alphabetical order..

Hey, that works for me!

Sadly (or not, depending how I look at it), I'll be in Maui on the 30th, so won't be able to attend. Thanks for hosting though, Babalu! Sorry too miss it.

The eye is all better now - thanks to everyone who posted their concern on the other thread. I'm hoping I can make the July Chop.

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 12:32 pm   Permalink

I say Aaron has to wear an eye patch from now on.

AARRRRon!

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 1:24 pm   Permalink

Done deal then....tribute Chop mug on the way...still have to clean up the studio some first...Dav, I will post pics as I start to rough this thing in.

Aaron, we'll save your 2 mugs for you.

Cammo they say you learn something everyday; here's today's lesson....did you know that Cheetos are highly flammable? Take your lighter to one and see what happens! Flame On! Throw another bag of Cheetos on the fire...ohhh so pretty. These are the kind of important things you'll learn at a Trailer Trash Chop.

Shell in the Pacific
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-30 6:36 pm   Permalink

Babalu,
I would like to come by and meet you all at the Trailer Trash Chop. I am not currently carving anything, but I am searching for ideas for a pendant for this year's Oasis. I was interested in how TikiDav's slip mold works. Would it be alright if I could come by for awhile? I will bring some Mojitos or Mai Tais. Could you please PM me with directions?
Mahalo,
Shelley

View Profile of Shell in the Pacific Send a personal message to Shell in the Pacific  Email Shell in the Pacific     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 6:47 pm   Permalink

The PBR and twinkies will be flowing at this Chop Chop.
My friend here may show up too.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 7:14 pm   Permalink

should i bring some stone and my diamond wheels? i know it's not a big thing to people, but if anyone want's to see how that's done i'd be happy to make some pebbles.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation