[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Backyard Tiki beginning
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Backyard Tiki beginning
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-30 7:47 pm   Permalink

This is what I have done so far. The Bora-Bora thatch should be here tomorrow and it should start to look more "Tiki" My plans are for a bar off the side and some counters around the inside. Please feel free to offer any tips or let me know what I can do to help make my backyard our Tropical paradise. I really like the idea of a fire breathing volcano with fireglass leading into a pond.
Thanks in advance for any advice

New pics. Thatch looks very cool and pretty easy to install.

[ This Message was edited by: ualpow 2007-06-03 10:51 ]

View Profile of ualpow Send a personal message to ualpow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 10:26 am   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central!

This is a great start...be sure to post more pics as this progresses.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-03 11:19 am   Permalink

I added pics but didn't know how to get the post bumped up. I guess when I update my post I will reply instead of editing.

View Profile of ualpow Send a personal message to ualpow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Den
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-03 9:06 pm   Permalink

Nice Start!
Where did you get your thatch from?

View Profile of Tiki Den Send a personal message to Tiki Den      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-04 02:48 am   Permalink

The thatch is made by palmex-international. I bought it from golden global in Florida.

tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 1:22 pm   Permalink

I was also interested in the thatch...

Here's a contact:
http://www.palmex-international.com/thatchroof_tikihut.php

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-08 07:53 am   Permalink

Well, I was not done with the roof when the big winds hit here in Chicago area. I was a little worried about the structure with the 45mph gusts. The thatch held up fine and the structure just shook a little during the strongest gusts. I opted for the "windclips" from Global and they really held down the leaves. Only the Hip cap leaves flipped up and that was because the whole roof is not installed yet. I have 5 more rows of roof to put on and then I can start the interior.

ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-11 8:12 pm   Permalink

Here are some pics with the roof done. Now for the bar and counters.
I am looking for advice on the bartop. Leaning toward a dark highly figured wood with marine varnish over some pictures and tiki items.

ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-19 10:19 pm   Permalink

This is the bar, so far. One coat of Man-o-war spar varnish, many more to go. Also need to build cabinet doors and add some trim to hide the L-Brackets.

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-19 11:02 pm   Permalink

Nice work ualpow.

Are you attending Exotica in July?

I'm currently carving for the event and will be bringing large and small tikis, masks and various other great tiki creations to just about your doorstep.

If you can't make it, let me know if you might be looking for anything... I deliver!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
karlmbar

Posted: 2007-06-20 04:50 am   Permalink

Awesome Tiki Hut!

Like the Dura Thatch Roof. I'm oscilating between Dura Thatch or Syn Thatch right now.......

Is the bar built from the Tiki Kev plan? I'm building the same one. So far so good. Would have been nice to have a measured diagram of the whole project instead of so many paragraphs.

Added the electric last night. Then to the upright poles which stick out of the middle of the bar. Using
T-111 for the front and sides. Will probably use some cedar for trim work inside the bar. The roof should be a real challenge.

View Profile of karlmbar Send a personal message to karlmbar  Email karlmbar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 7:25 pm   Permalink

Really shaping up...

What are you doing for the bar top?

May I suggest a glass tile mosaic??

ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-20 9:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments. Lakesurfer, I will try to get to exotica and yes I am looking for carvings and masks.
Tikitammy, My wife really likes your bar top but I think we are going with a pour over some tiki trinkets we found at hobby lobby. I have read some horror stories of bar top pours gone bad so we are not sure yet. Maybe lexan cut to fit inside the edge trim?

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 10:25 pm   Permalink

Ualpow,
it looks like you arrrr doing a meticulous job on your tiki tavern. Its fun to watch the magic unfold--looking swell!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-04 09:23 am   Permalink

Well, The major work is done. Now for the details like bamboo trim, Hula lamps etc. We had a party on the 30th and it was a great time. Everybody complimented me on the "hut" which made me feel pretty good. The wife and I sat under the hut while it poured down rain last night, not a drop through the dura thatch roof! Here are a couple of pics for your critiquing and ideas. Still need to put the marine varnish on everything.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation