[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tikitronic Mug # 3 : Luaahi
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tikitronic Mug # 3 : Luaahi
Tikitronic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-31 9:54 pm   Permalink

I have an experiment to share (trying out a new medium).

So - it was late January I needed to design a mug for this year's Tiki-Kon.
Seeing as
a) I was somewhat dissatisfied with my results from my first mug attempt (sculpting in mold-able resin - 2005):

and
b) was even more dissatisfied with my second attempt (carving a mug out of hard foam 2006):

and
c) I've been wanting to start learning 3d modeling for some time now, I decided to get on it and see if I could use the mug as a 3d starter project, and hopefully learn enough to sculpt this years mug. Which - in retrospect - was pushing my luck with regards to time-line.

But anyhoo - I won't show my first attempt.
My second attempt (late march) at least bore a resemblance to the design I had in my head.
But was still pretty rough, more cartoony than I wanted, and was abandoned at this point:

At that point, I stopped, took a deep breath, re-watched some tutorials, and started over.
The result* was this guy, who I'm calling Luaahi:

* with some assistance on getting the lettering on there properly - thank you Gideon!

The other organizers were satisfied with the design (and in fairness - probably a bit impatient to get the thing out of my head and into production:) - so I sent the file for digital output, and 2 weeks later received this in the mail:

** photograph courtesy of Tikimama

I have to say - its a little surreal to sculpt something on a computer, and then being able to hold it in your hands.
Next step - Melintur is working on the mold making process, and then we start experimenting with glazes.

I'd love to hear thoughts/advice on the medium/constructive criticism on the design/etc.
Has anyone else out there tried designing a mug (or any other tiki stuff) this way?

View Profile of Tikitronic Send a personal message to Tikitronic  Goto the website of Tikitronic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-05-31 10:47 pm   Permalink

Luaahi is very cool!

Nicely done.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
La Esquina Del Tiki!
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-01 02:59 am   Permalink

Very cool Tikitronic. What software did you use? I use Pro/E at work but I'm almost positive I wouldn't be able to design something like your mug with it.

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: La Esquina Del Tiki! 2007-06-01 14:06 ]

View Profile of La Esquina Del Tiki! Send a personal message to La Esquina Del Tiki!  Email La Esquina Del Tiki! Goto the website of La Esquina Del Tiki!     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 04:21 am   Permalink

I like the design, and the whole computer design process is really different and interesting too. Im not big on the white, but with a nice glaze seeping into the design I think it will look really cool. Nice

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 07:14 am   Permalink

You never disappoint with your artwork TikiTronic

You are one of the real hidden heavyweights here.

thanks for explaining the evolution to us and I really like that most recent design (but I also own the other two)

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 08:41 am   Permalink

Tikitronic!
Great mugs! All three of 'em look great!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 08:53 am   Permalink

Very impressive! I also would be interested in the software name. It's so cool to know that things like this are possible today.

Congratulations!

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 11:57 am   Permalink

We are planning to experiment with glaze techniques with some slip-molds of the 2005 mug.

We have cone 6 glazes of one white and two different browns for under/overglazes. We as well have a few colors for detail glazing work.

I hope to go into the lab soon for experimentation. I spoke with some local ceramicists who pointed me for the best glazes for layering/mixing and instructions that is is "much better to experiment and follow your own findings" than follow any other parameters, I do so like the fail/success/screw around model.

Oh, and the White of the master sculpt above is immaterial - We haven't set yet on a glaze color, but we are headed toward a traditional brown with (hopefully) some accents.

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 12:35 pm   Permalink

Very cool! Echoes of Bumatay. Body texture is scary, kinda slug/slimy looking! Brilliant!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-01 12:41 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

looks like zbrush.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-01 4:56 pm   Permalink

I wondered how long it would be before we saw the first computer created mug, was the final piece printed out in one of those 3D printers?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-01 6:11 pm   Permalink

Techno-I.T.iki?
Veeery interesting, hhhmmm... Cool Concept!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitronic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-01 11:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone!

To follow up - yes, the mug was sculpted in zBrush (which ironically took me rather longer than sculpting the clay mug - ha) - and then sent to a 3d print house.

And while its true that the mug wont be glazed white for production - I'm kind of tempted to produce some with a gloss white finish, and setting up a Futuristic Tiki/Korova Milk Bar in our new basement:)

View Profile of Tikitronic Send a personal message to Tikitronic  Goto the website of Tikitronic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 10:11 am   Permalink

We hope to get the result of the glaze tests back from our ceramicist today. I'm very excited.
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:30 pm   Permalink

Here's what happens to the sculpt after I get it.

I make a negative mold of the sculpt with which to make multiple sculpt copies. These Will be used to make plaster slip molds. The plaster slip molds will go to our ceramicist for mug creation.

Here's the first batch of pictures:

After creating a mold box " larger than the sculpt (in each direction) out of art board and hot glue. I'll pour each half of the mold separately. To masque out 3-d areas for where I don't want the polyurethane to go, I use modeling clay:

To help keep the two halves of the mold together, I make impressions for use as a key to align. Here you can see a closeup of one in the clay masque.

So, how to find out how much of the casting material you'll need? I use rice to approximate the volume.

Now it's full.

And now it's measured.

After the rice is removed the whole thing gets sprayed with
Tap Plastics Mold Release.

The Materials: Polyurethane Casting Resin system from Tap Plastics.

I mix half the measure of each of the 2-part polyurethane and mix like 'taint no mixing been done.

The trick is to scrape the sides and the bottom of the container with something square. I use chopsticks. Next, I pour evenly and slowly into a corner of the box. I let the material slowly seep around and up the sculpt. As it's pouring I notice how like a chocolate bar it looks. Here see it filling in the keys - caramel spilling into chocolate caverns surrounded by creamy white nougat:

Delicious caramel will be the last breath of this tiki mug!

Almost there:

The complete pour.

Once a day has passed, it is safe to attempt the other half. It takes a couple more than a few days to fully cure. I take off the bottom of the mold and flip 'er over. All that clay we put in has to come out.

The same process is repeated (It usually happens that the rest of the containers are the perfect amount of material) on the back. Mold release, mix half of each, pouring into the corner:

Slowly to the top it pours.

This is the End product. 2 Halves which allows us to make copies of the scupt to use and not have to suffer a meltdown if it becomes damaged. We can just make another. And another. And another.

Next update coming when I get the pics prepared!

TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation