FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » good white rum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
good white rum
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-09 9:17 pm   Permalink

I'm trying to find a good white rum for making mojitos, and I just can't bring myself to use Bacardi.

I remember I liked the taste of the Tommy Bahama White Sand (as ridiculous as it is), but there's no way I'll pay that price for a whole bottle.

What is a white rum that is so good it would actually make something like a mojito taste different?

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-10 02:38 am   Permalink

In Intoxica, The Bum says he likes substitute a Virgin Island Rum for the Puerto Rican - like Cruzan White.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-10 05:00 am   Permalink

You might want to try Ron Matusalem Platino, which is "made in the Cuban style" and is very good for a reasonable price. I have not yet tried it in a mojito though.

This does give me an idea - I should compare Platino to Havana Club Anejo Blanco, now that I have a bottle...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevemarkoya

Posted: 2007-06-10 08:56 am   Permalink

For white rum I have been pretty happy with Appelton White, Don Q Cristal and my favorite which is Barbancourt Blanco.

View Profile of stevemarkoya Send a personal message to stevemarkoya      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-10 10:35 am   Permalink

Very good.

I was already eyeing Appleton White and Cruzan White. Thanks for the help.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ HawaiianShirt 2007-06-11 06:31 ]

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whinylittlerunt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-11 11:22 am   Permalink

I really like Appleton rums but I can't seem to find the Appleton White anywhere... None of my local marts seem to stock it.

They make a great 12-yr though, fwiw.

View Profile of whinylittlerunt Send a personal message to whinylittlerunt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-13 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-11 11:22, whinylittlerunt wrote:
I really like Appleton rums but I can't seem to find the Appleton White anywhere... None of my local marts seem to stock it.

They make a great 12-yr though, fwiw.

Can you get other Appleton rums? If so, just ask if they can get the White in. If not, Appleton may not be available in your state. In this case, you can be the impetus/hero for getting Appleton into your state by contacting Appleton's US importer. It can be a long process, but I've done it here in Kansas with Velvet Falernum (very proud of that I must say).

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-13 12:16, DemeraraDrinker wrote:
In this case, you can be the impetus/hero for getting Appleton into your state by contacting Appleton's US importer. It can be a long process, but I've done it here in Kansas with Velvet Falernum (very proud of that I must say).

Please fill me in on the "how" part. I'm going to go crazy until I can start getting some key rums into Massachusetts... I'm willing to do a bunch of leg-work...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whinylittlerunt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-13 5:37 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-06-13 12:16, DemeraraDrinker wrote:
Quote:
Can you get other Appleton rums? If so, just ask if they can get the White in. If not, Appleton may not be available in your state. In this case, you can be the impetus/hero for getting Appleton into your state by contacting Appleton's US importer. It can be a long process, but I've done it here in Kansas with Velvet Falernum (very proud of that I must say).

I just found the white rum yesterday at a a place a few towns over from me. We definately get Appleton runs, as I have the 12yr, Special, and now the White - it was just weird how none of the large liquor stores locally had it.

On that note, the Appleton White is particularly nice, probably a great mixing rum but I still drink all spirits neat or on ice. I also like the Myers white rum. Too bad I have to do my rum drinking at home seeing how none of the good bars have anything white other than Bacardi or the flavored junk.

View Profile of whinylittlerunt Send a personal message to whinylittlerunt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MobileTikiBar
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-06-13 7:17 pm   Permalink

Pyrat Blanco is a nice choice, I also enjoy Matusalem as mentioned above.

For my mojitos, I realy lik using Pyrat XO reserve... it's way off from being a light rum, but boy do those majitos taste good.

Another twist is to throw some Brinley Gold Mango rum in with light rum, to make a mango mojito.

-adrian

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 9:02 pm   Permalink

You guys are so lucky.The only white rums we have in Australia are,Bacardi,Havana Club,Matusalem,Beenleigh(which is Australian)and Santa Maria which is a caribbean white.They also have a gold and it's the cheapest of the lot.
I can get an El Dorado white,but it's not easy to find.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 07:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-13 21:02, swizzle wrote:
You guys are so lucky.The only white rums we have in Australia are,Bacardi,Havana Club,Matusalem,Beenleigh(which is Australian)and Santa Maria which is a caribbean white.They also have a gold and it's the cheapest of the lot.
I can get an El Dorado white,but it's not easy to find.

Check this out...the
rum page at Liquorstore.com.au.

They have Appleton V/X, Extra, Reserve, and 21; Coruba; as well as Mount Gay Exclipse and Extra Old.

Oh, wait. You said "white" rum. Hmmm! Sorry. I'm not really into white rum. One thing I see a lot in Australian online liquor sites are references to "Bacardi White Barbados Rum." What's up with that? Bacardi is Puerto Rican.

As far as being "so lucky," it seems as though Absinthe is readily available in your territory (Green Fairy, Pernod, and Techenné brands in particular). In the US we've been wormwood-challenged for ages. In that respect, you're kind of lucky.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-06-14 07:31 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 6:59 pm   Permalink

Your right Gnomon about the absinthe.I've seen about a dozen different brands available,including a coffee flavoured one.Not sure what it tastes like though.
As for the Bacardi,i cant say i've actually seen it mentioning it being from Barbados.You're right it's a Puerto Rican rum but the bottles still say Cuba on them.
Thanks for the website,i'll give them a try.I just hope they ship internationally.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 10:27 pm   Permalink

I just recently picked up an African rum called STARR. It comes in a weird triangular red bottle. It's a white rum, and it's actually pretty good. Kind of expensive, though, and I'm not sure it is that much better than something like Myers's Platinum. Pyrat Blanco is much better for less money.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-14 18:59, swizzle wrote:
Thanks for the website,i'll give them a try.I just hope they ship internationally.

Oh. I thought you were in Australia. It's an Australian site.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation