FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » good white rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
good white rum
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-17 4:30 pm   Permalink

I compared 6 white rums Saturday night: Havana Club Anejo Blanco, Matusalem Platino, Pyrat Blanco, Cruzan Superior Light, Clement Premiere Canne, and - I had to do it - Bacardi.

I was pleasantly surprised at how the Matusalem came close - but not quite as good - as the Havana Club. The Matusalem is a very good substitute for the HC.

There was no real winner in all this - they're too different - but the Bacardi was the clear loser. It had the worst ethanol smell, and was the harshest of the bunch. However, mixed in Rum & Cokes only the HC & Bacardi tasted good - the others were OK, though the Clement was the worst (it's just not right for an R&C).

I hope to get a full write-up within the next couple days. I kept good notes during the process.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whinylittlerunt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-18 3:23 pm   Permalink

I've never had a good experience with Bacardi. In my opinion, it's just nasty stuff. I'm sure many would agree.

(though I've never tried the Bacardi 8, which i was told is good... I'll probably be safe just sticking with others that I actually like)

View Profile of whinylittlerunt Send a personal message to whinylittlerunt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 8:38 pm   Permalink

I'm fortunate enough to have Havana Club readily available,so thats what i use for a white rum.I'm yet to try Matusalem as its $50Aus compared to $30Aus for the Havana and i cant justify spending that much more just on a base mixer.
As for Bacardi 8,i have to say its one of my favourite rums to drink neat.If all Bacardi rums were that good maybe people would think differently about them.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OUDRANK12

Posted: 2007-06-18 10:19 pm   Permalink

For Mojitos I like 10 Cane for Top Shelf and Matusalem for well. I also have Myers Platnum and Cruzan White which I have not tried in a mojito, I generally use those for mixing with juices. I have been enjoying the heck out of Oronoco Brazilian rum. I bet that would make a killer mojito although a bit pricing for slammin. For a twist try Corazon Blanco Tequila in a mojito in place of rum, very yummy!

View Profile of OUDRANK12 Send a personal message to OUDRANK12      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-19 7:18 pm   Permalink

I just posted a comparison - of sorts - of 5 white rums.

http://scottesrum.com/2007/06/19/5-white-rums/

Not quite surprisingly, Bacardi lost.
But I have to admit that I didn't plan this comparison very well, so your mileage may vary...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-09 21:17, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
I'm trying to find a good white rum for making mojitos, and I just can't bring myself to use Bacardi.

I remember I liked the taste of the Tommy Bahama White Sand (as ridiculous as it is), but there's no way I'll pay that price for a whole bottle.

What is a white rum that is so good it would actually make something like a mojito taste different?

I'll probably get laughed at for this, but have you ever tried Port Royal? It's a very nice, inexpensive, Virgin Islands' rum. It's not as nice as a Cruzan, but then again, it's better than Bacardi. I picked up a Liter for around eleven dollars last week, and I have been happy with its results. There is another brand "Chesapeake" that tastes about the same, and if memory serves me, also comes from the Virgin Islands. They are pretty easy to get there in Baltimore, but then again we are home to about a dozen distilleries.

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-26 4:25 pm   Permalink

Havana Club is the best white rum I've ever tasted, but 1: I'm not an expert in whites, just to say "cool" and "sucks", and 2:Havana white it's not exactly white. It's 3 years aged and it has a (very) pale golden color. Still, it's the best I have tasted, great for daiquiris.

Anyone has tried St James white? They got it in the store where I get the Ambre, and I always look at it with desire, but never get a bottle of it, and it's 10 euro (like 14$) the fifth, not very expensive, but still a couple of bucks more than the Havana. I think I never got it because I can't remember any recipe that calls for "white Martinique rum". Any comment?

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-26 6:10 pm   Permalink

St. James white will be an agricole blanc, which is most likely going to be *very* different from any whites you've had. I would not recommend it until you get a chance to try an agricole, but if you like to try new thing you might want to try it. Agricoles are quite fruity, very floral, and won't taste much like molasses.

I had my best white rum the other night. Oronoco.
http://scottesrum.com/2007/10/24/oronoco/

Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-07 8:46 pm   Permalink

The Pegu Club, The Flat Iron Lounge and the Bemelmans Bar at the Carlyle Hotel in Manhattan (all of which are pretty much Cocktail Mecca) all pour Brugal White as their well rum, and with good reason. It's clean, reliable and ridiculously inexpensive.

I like the Ron Matusalem Platino Rum as well as the 10 Cane, but I think that they are both overpriced for use in a mojito. Cruzan White is alright, although I think it's not very clean tasting (it has a bit of a funky, peasantish aftertaste, and I love their Blackstrap Navy Rum however). Flor de Caña White (and Gold) is another nice, clean inexpensive rum. In many markets you can find 1.75 Liter bottles for a steal in many areas.

Cheers,

Craig in Cincinnati

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 07:29 am   Permalink

Blackstrap is my hero.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-26 16:25, BastardoSaffrin wrote:
2:Havana white it's not exactly white. It's 3 years aged and it has a (very) pale golden color. Still, it's the best I have tasted, great for daiquiris.

Anejo 3 Anos isn't Havana Club's "white rum." That's Anejo Blanco. You can see the full lineup here:
http://www.havana-club.com/

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 10:03 am   Permalink

At Scottes' FOM Rum Tasting, Palo Viejo was the best of the bunch, which included Cruzan and...and...man, we tasted a lot of rum! We tried it neat, which is not usually the function of a white rum, but we'll be putting it through it's paces tomorrow night. Full report will be posted first thing Monday! Well, maybe second.

Cruzan is not bad either, though; big fan of Havana Club too.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 1:41 pm   Permalink

You're having a rum tasting without me?? ?? ??

<pout>

BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-09 04:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-08 09:12, arriano wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-10-26 16:25, BastardoSaffrin wrote:
2:Havana white it's not exactly white. It's 3 years aged and it has a (very) pale golden color. Still, it's the best I have tasted, great for daiquiris.

Anejo 3 Anos isn't Havana Club's "white rum." That's Anejo Blanco. You can see the full lineup here:
http://www.havana-club.com/

Well, yes, you're right. But for some reason, here isn't available the "añejo blanco", but the three years. And this one isn't a gold rum, so I think it's just an slightly aged white rum, without being a gold one. I guess that gives it some more body and character. But just guessing. And I can't buy the "añejo blanco" one, so what else could I do?

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 08:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-09 04:12, BastardoSaffrin wrote:
Well, yes, you're right. But for some reason, here isn't available the "añejo blanco", but the three years. And this one isn't a gold rum, so I think it's just an slightly aged white rum, without being a gold one. I guess that gives it some more body and character. But just guessing. And I can't buy the "añejo blanco" one, so what else could I do?

Interesting. Well, I can't get any Havana Club rums in my country -- but I live 20 minutes from the border of Mexico where I can buy it. And the only rums that I've seen available are Anejo Blanco, Anejo Especial and Anejo 7 Anos. Haven't seen nor tasted the 3 Anos. So I guess you can consider yourself lucky in that regard. And you're probably right, the 3 Anos is probably very close to Anejo Blanco, but perhaps with a light oak flavor?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation