FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food good white rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
good white rum
tikitender

Posted: 2007-12-22 11:02 am   Permalink

In my bar, we have been using Barbancourt White in our mojitos for two years. The guests seem to love it. It is very flavorful and aromatic, so it takes Bacardi drinkers a little while to adjust.

View Profile of tikitender Send a personal message to tikitender  Goto the website of tikitender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 8:31 pm   Permalink

so what IS the best white rum? (esp., spanish style?)

i generally prefer the english-style white rums: Appleton, ED3, even Myers's.

but, some drinks really need a spanish-style white rum. i've enjoyed Caliche. am trying out Matusalem platino for first time- seems very nice.

not a fan of bacardi, flor de cana, or of cruzan white rums...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 8:36 pm   Permalink

For "Spanish" white rum, my current fave is Bacardi Heritage, ostensibly made to the original Cuban standards. Definitely more flavorful the Puerto Rican expression. Here in Miami it weighs in at $16/750ml.

White Rhum Barbancourt is a lower-case-a agricole (as opposed to capital-A Agricole) which goes beautifully in a Ti Punch, or similar.

I also think highly of El Dorado 3 and Doorly's White, but I can't say they taste particularly "Spanish."

YMMV.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:58 am   Permalink

A while ago I compared Flor De Cana, Cruzan, Bacardi, Havana Club Blanco, Havana Club 3 & Brugal Blanco in Mojitos.

Bacardi you all probably have an opinion on, I apply that same opinion to it & Cruzan (ie no thanks). Flor De Cana was good. Havana Club 3 had a woody edge that none of the others did so, as I have subsequently found, it can work better in certain drinks.

My favourite white rums were Havana Club & Brugal Blanco (first equals), they had the cleanest crispest taste by far with a little fruity edge - it was difficult to pick between them so I go with either based on price / availability (in the UK Havana Club Blanco usually wins).

At the moment I have 2 bottles of Brugal Blanco in stock (cheaper imports) so I'm using them

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-23 03:53 am   Permalink

I picked up a bottle of El Dorado Silver for $13 at Total Wine yesterday. I was curious and will be tasting/testing soon.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 04:55 am   Permalink

I think you will be unimpressed with the ED silver. The Ed 3 white rum on the other hand. . . Yum.

I have yet to find that Bacardi product supposedly made to historic standards that people keep telling me about. I will keep looking.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-23 05:14 am   Permalink

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case. But I've been burning through "Demerara rum" at a high rate lately making Beachcomber Punch which is a new fave among my non-rum-knowledgeable friends. Initially I burned through 80% of my $40/bottle El Do 15. Oh, it was darn good, but I quickly went out and bought a bottle of El Do 5. Then I saw the $13/bottle price on the El Do silver and thought I'd give it a try and see if it might work for my less-particular friends. There's quite a price difference, and I'm sure it's well-justified.

Has anyone tried the "new" Havana Club being made by Bacardi after Cuba was stripped of the US copyright/patent/trademark for Havana Club? I'm waiting to see some of that show up in my market.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 07:27 am   Permalink

For Spanish-style whites, I usually go with Cruzan, Flor de Cana, or Cana Brava, depending on mood. I also use Banks, Denizen, or Ron Matusalem on occasion.

Cana Brava and Banks are probably my favorite. Definitely more expensive, though.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 05:14, AceExplorer wrote:
Has anyone tried the "new" Havana Club being made by Bacardi after Cuba was stripped of the US copyright/patent/trademark for Havana Club? I'm waiting to see some of that show up in my market.

I'm scared of that variety, though I'll admit I've only ever had the legit 15 year old stuff and it was fantastic.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2014-07-23 04:55, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I have yet to find that Bacardi product supposedly made to historic standards that people keep telling me about. I will keep looking.

At our local Total Wine here in Miami it's in stock.
http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/bacardi-heritage/129442750 But other places (little liquor shops in the Little Havana area, usually) have it for $2-$3 cheaper. (The oldtimers swear this is like the old Cuban rum, as opposed to the "regular" stuff which is "rum flavored vodka.")

I recommended pretty much for those cocktails of the Spanish Caribbean -- classic daiquiris, mojitos, etc. -- and where the recipe specifically calls for a white PR/Cuban rum. ("English" and "French" Caribbean rums, to me, aren't shown to best advantage in the lighter, simpler Cuban classics, except for Doorly's 3 year old, which isn't quite everywhere.

My guess is the TW in Melbourne can order the Bacardi Heritage for you if they don't stock it.

PS If you're making daiquiris, mojitos, etc. for a CROWD (operative word there) Cruzan Light is your best bet, at $16 for a 1.75L bottle!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2014-07-23 12:16 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:28 pm   Permalink

ive always perfered captain morgan over bacardi

[ This Message was edited by: Jay4 2014-07-23 12:33 ]

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 12:28, Jay4 wrote:
ive always perfered captain morgan over bacardi

That's a little like saying you prefer getting kicked in the balls over a slap upside the head.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-23 1:37 pm   Permalink

Heheheheh, go easy on Jay4. He's new here, just joined in Feb 2014.

Jay4, stick around here and you'll learn more about why "Bacardi" and "Captain Morgan" are generally considered bottom-shelf rums. Trust us when we say that there is much better stuff out there for the same or just a little bit more (or less) cost.

Cheers!

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 1:56 pm   Permalink

I've been curious how good DonQ is, given its another white Puerto Rican rum. Its typically on equal price point with Bacardi. I typically go Cruzan for a mixable white.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-23 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 13:37, AceExplorer wrote:
Heheheheh, go easy on Jay4. He's new here, just joined in Feb 2014.

Jay4, stick around here and you'll learn more about why "Bacardi" and "Captain Morgan" are generally considered bottom-shelf rums. Trust us when we say that there is much better stuff out there for the same or just a little bit more (or less) cost.

Cheers!

i guess im just not that much of a rum snob because captain morgan has always been fine to me

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation