FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » good white rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
good white rum
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 2:57 pm   Permalink

jokeiii thanks for the tip about Total Wine. I was at the Melbourne store a couple if weeks ago and did not see the Bacardi Heritage but I will certainly ask them to try and get it for me.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 14:43, Jay4 wrote:
i guess im just not that much of a rum snob because captain morgan has always been fine to me

I hope you know I was just teasing, Jay. Welcome aboard. I think you'll find that most people on here aren't rum snobs, although they do enjoy a good drink when they get one.

If millions of people didn't like Bacardi, they'd stop making it. But one of the wonderful things about rum is how much of it there is, in so many different styles and tastes. So you can spend a lifetime trying wonderful new things and never run out of material.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 14:57, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
jokeiii thanks for the tip about Total Wine. I was at the Melbourne store a couple if weeks ago and did not see the Bacardi Heritage but I will certainly ask them to try and get it for me.

It's VERY easy to miss, looks very similar to the "regular" Bacardí white rum if it's not in the "collectible tin." If the Melbourne store's website is to be trusted, it's currently in stock.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 14:57, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

OK, now I'm definitely confused. I have seen lots of tins of something labeled Bacardi Superior with a vintage style label but I assumed that was just throwback packaging and the rum inside the bottle was the regular Bacardi drek. I was looking for and never saw a big "1909" or "Heritage" designation on the label, but maybe that's the stuff and I didn't know it. I guess the easiest thing will be to look at the ABV and if it's 44.5% it's the 1909 edition and if it's 40% it's the drek.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-07-23 17:14 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-23 6:22 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I bought one of those boxed versions of Bacardi, and I thought it was only marginally better than the regular stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: KrakenHunterSteve 2014-07-23 18:24 ]

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 7:19 pm   Permalink

On 2014-07-23 17:14, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Quote:

OK, now I'm definitely confused. I have seen lots of tins of something labeled Bacardi Superior with a vintage style label but I assumed that was just throwback packaging and the rum inside the bottle was the regular Bacardi drek. I was looking for and never saw a big "1909" or "Heritage" designation on the label, but maybe that's the stuff and I didn't know it. I guess the easiest thing will be to look at the ABV and if it's 44.5% it's the 1909 edition and if it's 40% it's the drek.

Here is the one:
http://popsop.com/wp-content/uploads/BACARDI-Heritage-Gift-Pack-original.jpg in the Super Collectible Tin, and another "plain" http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5500/tpbc2s65/products/2709/images/2742/bacardi_silverheritage__19536__67799.1358534460.1280.1280.jpg

Besides the proof (86 vs 80) the Heritage version is also distilled in Mexico, not PR. It's not my favorite white, but it is my favorite Spanish Caribbean white. (YMMV)

HTH!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2014-07-23 19:22 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-23 7:25 pm   Permalink

While we're on the subject of "Bacardi," they have an interesting history. From what I've read previously online I'm not quite sure how they were positioned in pre-Castro Cuba, but they may have been one of the top rums before nationalization. There is some interesting stuff about them smuggling yeasts out of Cuba ahead of the troops and destroying what they had to leave behind. This left today's Cuba with non-original strains of yeasts. Supposedly those yeasts survive today outside of Cuba. Also, Havana Club may have been part of the Bacardi family empire before nationalization. But my "BS meter" hasn't been able to confirm or deny those reports on the web. More research is needed. Thought I'd mention it in case someone else was interested.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 3:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 19:25, AceExplorer wrote:
While we're on the subject of "Bacardi," they have an interesting history. From what I've read previously online I'm not quite sure how they were positioned in pre-Castro Cuba, but they may have been one of the top rums before nationalization. There is some interesting stuff about them smuggling yeasts out of Cuba ahead of the troops and destroying what they had to leave behind. This left today's Cuba with non-original strains of yeasts. Supposedly those yeasts survive today outside of Cuba. Also, Havana Club may have been part of the Bacardi family empire before nationalization. But my "BS meter" hasn't been able to confirm or deny those reports on the web. More research is needed. Thought I'd mention it in case someone else was interested.

There is some truth to the yeast story; members of the Bacardi family destroyed the cultures before the Communists arrived to confiscate their property. However, there was no need for smuggling, as those strains of yeast were at other Bacardi facilities (Puerto Rico, Mexico, etc.). Incidentally, most of the Bacardi rum in the US, even before the Communist revolution in Cuba, was from Puerto Rico - as US territory it didn't have the import duties, etc.

Havana Club (like Matusalem) was a competitor; unlike Bacardi its intellectual property was not registered outside Cuba which is why the Cuban regime was able to seize both the distillery and the name/trademark. After the fact, Bacardi bought the trademark from the (former) Havana Club owners who established new trademarks in the USA.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-24 9:06 pm   Permalink

Thank you, jokeiii, that's helpful. I will look into it further in the future. I wasn't clear about the Bacardi/Havana Club relationship in Cuba. This is interesting stuff.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 09:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-24 21:06, AceExplorer wrote:
Thank you, jokeiii, that's helpful. I will look into it further in the future. I wasn't clear about the Bacardi/Havana Club relationship in Cuba. This is interesting stuff.

Incidentally, SUPPOSEDLY the Bacardi Heritage uses the "Cuban yeast" instead of the (I'll assume) more generic yeast in the Bacardi Superior.

JTizzle_Swizzle

Posted: 2014-07-28 2:08 pm   Permalink

Havana Club 3yr
Flor De Cana Extra Dry 4yr
Brugal Especial Extra Dry 2yr

Those are the best I've found for original daiquiris. After a few hundred imbibes and variations, I've settled on the Morganthaler 10:3:2 version (2.5oz rum, 3/4oz lime, 1/2oz rich simple). With that ratio these rums really shine.

I use Cruzan White for anything with lots of ingredients and syrups, though. So, like Hayward's Mai-Kai Rum Barrel. Any of the premium whites get lost in there. I agree with The Bum in that Cruzan is significantly better than Bacardi.

View Profile of JTizzle_Swizzle Send a personal message to JTizzle_Swizzle      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

two of my cuban buddies and i had a comparison yesterday of Havana Club 3yo and el Dorado 3yo.

the quality was much closer than i expected. both very smooth.

I gave the slight nod to the HC3, as did one of my buddies.

to my surprise, the other cuban guy favored the ED3.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 17:14, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

the 1909 Heritage bottle is packaged in a thick cardboard cylindrical container. The regular stuff is in the collectible tins right now. total wine also had a bacardi vintage or somesuch that was about a hundred bucks (no extra packaging).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-03 12:48 pm   Permalink

I grabbed a bottle of regular Bacardi white-- very cool tin it comes in.

compared it w/the 1909 Heritage white--- blech, the basic stuff is swill!!

boosted my view of the 1909 Heritage to be sure, a good white rum (but still not one of my favorites). maybe i can side-by-side compare it w/the HC3 soon.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-20 01:16 am   Permalink

I'm hoping to jump in here with my favorites shortly. I've got some new bottles on the shelf that I need to run through some more tests -- Papa's Pilar and Plantation 3 Stars, most notably. In the meantime, I just ran across this battle royale of white rums that Inu a Kena posted back in 2012 in which 32 rums faced off. I'm afraid I own none of the Final Four, so unfortunately I'm off in search of more bottles ...
http://inuakena.com/spirit-reviews/light-rum-challenge/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation