FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » good white rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
good white rum
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-21 6:22 pm   Permalink

The Banks really is excellent. A tough rum to beat. That being said, there are lots of good white rums.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-22 10:51 pm   Permalink

Here's another good list, this one a Top 10 from The Rum Howler. Some of the same suspects, and an interesting #1 ...
http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/and-then-there-was-1-brugal-titanium-rum/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-23 12:48 am   Permalink

Got a bottle of white Meyer’s at T O. What’s a good cocktail to use it in?
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-23 11:36 pm   Permalink

There aren't many drinks that specifically call for a Jamaican white, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine in a Rum Barrel along with a Jamaican dark:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/06/27/the-rum-barrel-the-rodney-dangerfield-of-tropical-drinks/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-25 9:12 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Hurc!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-26 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-23 00:48, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Got a bottle of white Meyer’s at T O. What’s a good cocktail to use it in?
Cheers

I have found that one of the best ways to try most any new rum (other than sipping neat) is to mix a simple daiquiri. This holds especially true for the whites or very light rums in my opinion.

Here is how I make mine...

2oz rum
3/4oz fresh lime juice (muy importante)
1/2oz to 3/4oz simple syrup (I use a 1:1 ratio)

Shake very well with about a half cup of crushed ice and strain into a daiquiri style glass (coupe).
You may have to modify the lime/syrup ratios as I tend to like mine a little on the tart side.

Cheers and Aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-26 3:35 pm   Permalink

I agree: the test of any good white rum is how it performs in a Daiquiri. If a rum doesn't make a good Daiquiri, you can almost guarantee it's not a good rum.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-26 4:15 pm   Permalink

Tanks Q-T, Tanks DJ

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-29 9:14 pm   Permalink

whoa- just tried out a bottle of Plantation 3 Stars. out-freaking-standing!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-30 01:44 am   Permalink

Mahalo Q-tiki and djmont for the perfect set-up for my promised list of recommended white rums. As mentioned, I'm lacking many of the top-rated rums from some of the popular review sites, but I have a decent collection of nearly 20 white rums that I've collected over the years. My bar is built on the foundation of Beachbum Berry's appendices and ingredient recommendations, but I've recently branched out and included some impressive new brands as the rum landscape continues to expand. I too use the daiquiri as a standard in evaluating mixing rums, rating them on a 1-5 scale.

Hurricane Hayward's top white mixing rums
* Havana Club Añejo Blanco (Cuba) – 3.3
* Plantation 3 Stars (Jamaica/Barbados/Trinidad) – 3.2
* Papa’s Pilar Blonde (Central America/Caribbean) – 3.0
* Flor de Cana Extra Dry (Nicaragua) – 2.9
* Cruzan Estate Light (U.S. Virgin Islands) – 2.8
* Don Q Cristal (Puerto Rico) – 2.8
* Mount Gay Special Reserve (Barbados) – 2.8
* Mount Gay Eclipse Silver (Barbados) – 2.8
* Tanduay Silver (Philippines) – 2.8
* Clement Premiere Canne (Martinique) – 2.7
* Ron Matusalem Platino (Dominican Republic) – 2.7
* Doorly’s Macaw (Barbados) – 2.7
* Tommy Bahama White Sand (Barbados) – 2.7
* Appleton White (Jamaica) – 2.6
* El Dorado Superior (Guyana) – 2.5
* Vizcaya Cristal (Dominican Republic) – 2.5
Special mention:
* Wray & Newphew White Overproof (Jamaica) – 3.0

As thePorpoise can attest, Plantation 3 Stars is indeed fantastic. It's a welcome newcomer, along with Papa's Pilar, and I look forward to working both into regular rotation. Havana Club, of course, is hard to come by in these parts so I only use it on special occasions.

I continue to stand by Flor de Cana, Cruzan and Don Q as the workhorses of the bar. They may not be as distinctive as some others, but it's hard to beat the value for the price. And often all you need is a good solid base rum, and these do the job nicely.

I consider the Mount Gay rums above average, but have not done a lot of mixing with them. Same goes for Tanduay, which is new to the Florida market and impressive in my limited experience with it.

Clement Premiere Canne is the only white agricole on my list. Its uses are limited, but I'm happy to have it as an option. The rest are solid but unspectacular. Ron Matusalem Platino is fine in drinks that call for a dry, Cuban-style rum. I'm a huge fan of El Dorado's aged rums, but the standard white rum is nothing special. The Superior White is not to be confused with the Cask Aged White, which I understand is an excellent rum that I've got on my short list of potential purchases. Others I have in my sights include Bacardi 1909, Brugal Titanium, Diplomatico Blanco Reserva, Denizen, Starr, Oronoco, Elements, Banks, Neisson, Caliche, et al.

Wray & Newphew doesn't really fit with the rest here, but I had to mention it since I consider it a crucial rum to include in your arsenal, if only to make Jasper's Rum Punch.

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 26 days ago; 9:20 pm   Permalink

wray and nephew seems pretty hard to find.or at least in my area,i thought i saw somewhere it did distribute to a couple places in my state though but i cant find a webpage to check distribution to make sure

wierd thing is,if they do make appleton rum i can find that anywhere

oh and do you really think don q white is better then appleton white? ive never had don q but i was wondering about it because i think someone said it outsold bacardi

[ This Message was edited by: Jay4 2014-09-05 21:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jay4 2014-09-05 21:29 ]

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 12:27 am   Permalink

Wray & Nephew may indeed be hard to find. I've probably had the same bottle for years. But it should be readily available via special order. It's worth seeking out to round out your collection. Not sure it's any easier to find, but Hampden Estate has a new white overproof that took home a gold medal at Miami Rum Fest:
http://www.hampdenrumcompany.com/products.html ... very much in the same league as W&N.

I'm not in love with Don Q, but it seems to be superior to Bacardi (pun intended), and it's a great bargain. I'll have to give Appleton White another analysis. Perhaps I've just pigeonholed it since traditionally Jamaica isn't known for its white rums. But honestly, there are just shades of difference between my 2.6 and 2.8 ratings. They're a world away from Lemon Hart 151, which gets my top rating at 4.4.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-09-07 11:53 ]

Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 24 days ago; 11:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-07 00:27, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
But it should be readily available via special order.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-09-07 00:28 ]

ya,i was thinkin about doin that.but i dont know,im wondering if maybe they just dont distribute it to my area in general

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 2:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Heads up - I found Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum in stock today at my local Sam's Club liquor store. Price was under $17 for a 750ml bottle.

HH is correct - there seems to be plenty in the supply chain, and special-ordering it should be fairly easy. Or go to one of the many online sellers/shippers.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 24 days ago; 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-07 14:03, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

HH is correct - there seems to be plenty in the supply chain, and special-ordering it should be fairly easy. Or go to one of the many online sellers/shippers.

but there isnt any restrictions though,i mean certain states that they dont sell it at all because thats kinda what i thought about my state since everywhere ive went they dont seem to sell it i just figured that maybe it isnt availible at all in my state but maybe its just really hard to find

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation