Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Conga Corner
Conga Corner
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-10 5:27 pm   Permalink

I posted pictures of my Congas in my Vibraphone thread, but wanted to open a thread specific to Congas. I am a novice but just fell in love with this beautiful set and expect to be able to do some basics in a couple of years (slow learner...too many projects).

Mondo Congas

My Congas are LP Matador Custom Accent Drums W/ Black Hardware. I have the Tropical Fusion finish on mine (I also ordered the matching Bongos). Yesterday I was graciously given a wonderful gift from danlovestikis, so wanted to share it here in case anyone is interested in catching a copy. It is a book called
CONGA DRUMMING A Beginners Guide to Playing with Time by Alan Dworsky and Betsy Sansby. The neat thing is that it has an instructional CD with it (which I know will be helpful to me). THANX Dan & Wendy.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-06-13 20:25 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 12:12 am   Permalink

.......Man! Vamp honey, those are VERY hip lookin! Yeah, congas iz fun. my 1st set was a pair of old blond,"Gon Bops". Now in the Agents, we've got a cool black set. Older fibes w/unusual skins. Wicked play to em. Have fun!..............Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 7:43 pm   Permalink

Well I just HAD to reply to this post. I love congas and other hand drums.
These are my two favorites
The one on the left in the foreground is a Latin Percussion Giovanni series "quinto"...
wonderful and beautiful drum with great high tones...on the left a Bauer cedar tumbadora
made in Brazil. The Bauer is a great "soft" drum for recording but seems to lack the
volume needed for playing live. I love your Matador drums, they are very cool looking
and I am quite familiar with Matador quality.
And as you can see...I love djembes too.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-13 8:40 pm   Permalink

Great pics....those babies are right at home with the tikis too.

Thanks Mouse. I will never be a great player, but hopefully will be able to keep a little rhythm. Post pics of your babies.

What do you guys do to maintin the skins on your congas? I am not doing any heavy playing on mine, so will probaby need minimal maintenance.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-31 6:41 pm   Permalink

Hi Vamp, you are very welcome, Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 8:26 pm   Permalink

Very very COOL !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-23 7:48 pm   Permalink

I am having to downsize at my home (my Mom moved in with me), so looking to seel my congas and matching bongos. If interested please pm me.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-23 10:43 pm   Permalink

Sorry to see ya let em go
They look great

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation