FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Approve of my rum selections
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Approve of my rum selections
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 9:16 pm   Permalink

I'm so envious when i see all the different brand names everyone throws around.There are only a few liquor stores around where i can get anything out of the ordinary.
Myers has just become available which i still haven't tried as it costs $60Aus(about $45 U.S.).A bottle of Coruba is only $30Aus($20 U.S.)
One of my favourite bars in Melbourne i go to regularly called DER RAUM,imports his own spirits,and i just sit under all the rum drooling(there is just over 60 in stock).However it costs around $30Aus per shot.Lemon Hart for exampl,and it's not even the 151.
Pretty pricey to try something that i have no chance of buying a bottle of.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-13 10:17 pm   Permalink

Swizzle, the Coruba I feel is definitely better than the Meyers, and costs about $17 a bottle here in Tucson. As for those other prices, that's just crazy...

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-13 11:02 pm   Permalink

[quote]
[i]On 2007-06-13 04:01, Kona Chris wrote:
Quote:

I also really like the Pyrat XO Reserve, which is about $20 a bottle these days. As far as I am concerned there is no better rum for a Cuba Libre. I usally mix 2 jiggers pyrat, juice of one lime, 1/2 oz Orgeat, and a can of Coke Zero. Really refreshing and tasty!

That is a great drink! I just made one per your post.
Funny thing is. I made a second one and it was not as good.
Just goes to show it's all in the mix!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-13 11:20 pm   Permalink

Swizzle, get with these guys they will hook you up.
http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/
They will have Lemon hart.
Great people!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-13 11:25 pm   Permalink

Havana Club here.
http://www.extreme-trading-shop.com/
With the prices you quoted.
These places will be cheap!
I think you could get a bottle
to your door for less than two shots!
Oh yeah. This place has Lemon hart GOLD 151. (Jam)
Get it it's good! Plus cool bottle.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2007-06-13 23:32 ]

Borky

Posted: 2007-06-14 10:15 am   Permalink

Does anyone know an online store that will ship to either Maryland or New Jersey? Rums like Lemon Hart and St James. Harder to find rums and cordials in general.

View Profile of Borky Send a personal message to Borky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 11:55 am   Permalink

It's not that some will ship to MD and NJ, or not, but whether or not those states allow alcohol shipments.

There's a place called Pop's that I believe is in NJ, and they carry a decent rum selection.
Actually, in NY:
http://www.popswine.com/

But if those states allow alcohol shipments then anyone will ship to them.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Borky

Posted: 2007-06-14 12:29 pm   Permalink

Well who's to stop it unless it says "ALCOHOL" in big bold letters on the box? Could I get in serious trouble for doing that?

View Profile of Borky Send a personal message to Borky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 1:14 pm   Permalink

Only if you get caught.

From what I've seen, any online liquors shippers will clearly state that they will not ship to particular states. Pop's, I believe, is one that does not say this...

Internet Wines & Spirits says:

Q: What States do you ship to?
A: We cannot ship alcohol to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Utah, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wyoming.

I would have to assume that MD and NJ do not allow shipments of alcohol.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-14 12:29, Borky wrote:
Well who's to stop it unless it says "ALCOHOL" in big bold letters on the box? Could I get in serious trouble for doing that?

Not so much that you will get in trouble, but that the shipper will be in trouble with the worst case of them loosing whatever license they have as a distributor.

The only 'real' way around this is to let us know what you are looking for specifically and somebody who has access to it to grab a bottle and ship it to you. One-to-One shipping is much easier and far less risky in the long run. It will cost a bit more becuase of the shipping, but sometimes it is still a deal because some people can get it cheaper in their area and that off-sets the shipping.

St. James it pretty easy to get around here so I will get you a bottle. PM me your shipping info and we can discuss in detail.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
formyfans

Posted: 2007-06-14 2:39 pm   Permalink

Hello, This is my first post though I have been trolling about for a bit. I was excited when I saw there was something I may actualy have the answer to. I have ordered from three internet companies that are located in NJ and ship. www.Planetofwine.com has St. James Rhum, I ordered a case of Coruba from them and it averaged out to about $15 a bottle with shipping which I thought was a good price. I can't say if there prices in general are good. I have also ordered from Shoppers vineyard which seems to have a nice selection and is also located in NJ. And the third one I am sorry to say I can't remember but if you want I can dig it up. The two I mentioned don't carry Lemon Hart I ended up having to buy that in RI. Hope this helps. James

View Profile of formyfans Send a personal message to formyfans      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 4:05 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central Formy!

And thanks for jumping in with such info. We rum lovers appreciate it.

You mentioned Rhode Island... Where do you go for good rum in RI? I visited Joyal's not too long ago, and they have an excellent selection, but they don't have everything I want...

formyfans

Posted: 2007-06-14 5:59 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the welcome. Joyals is also the place I have been in RI. Found Joyals website and we decided to take a roadtrip to see it, we weren't disappointed. We did pass another fairly large liquor store that was close to Joyals. Next time provided the GPS takes us the same way we will try and stop in and see what they have. I am sorry I don't know the name of the store. Thanks again for the welcome it is nice being here.

View Profile of formyfans Send a personal message to formyfans      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 6:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the websites TIKISKIP but wineandliquordepot won't ship internationally,and extreme-trading-shops page comes up in german.I'm determined to find someone though as i really want a bottle of Lemon Hart151.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-16 5:54 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-06-13 23:02, tikiskip wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2007-06-13 04:01, Kona Chris wrote:
Quote:

I also really like the Pyrat XO Reserve, which is about $20 a bottle these days. As far as I am concerned there is no better rum for a Cuba Libre. I usally mix 2 jiggers pyrat, juice of one lime, 1/2 oz Orgeat, and a can of Coke Zero. Really refreshing and tasty!

That is a great drink! I just made one per your post.
Funny thing is. I made a second one and it was not as good.
Just goes to show it's all in the mix!

Yes, it really is. I find that mine are usually pretty good, but I will get too much orgeat if I free pour. Between .5 and 1 ounce is best, and it is really important to stir once you've added the coke.

In fact my usual process is to pour in the rum, then add the lime juice (freshly squeezed of course) and the orgeat, stir this together, add ice, and then pour in the can of coke zero (or coke if you aren't afraid of a sugar rush). I'll then stir with a bar spoon or just a table spoon, to make sure I've distributed properly. Most of the time I'll drop in one of the now squeezed lime shells too. Really tasty!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation