Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Approve of my rum selections
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Approve of my rum selections
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-17 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-13 21:16, swizzle wrote:
I'm so envious when i see all the different brand names everyone throws around.There are only a few liquor stores around where i can get anything out of the ordinary.
Myers has just become available which i still haven't tried as it costs $60Aus(about $45 U.S.).A bottle of Coruba is only $30Aus($20 U.S.)
One of my favourite bars in Melbourne i go to regularly called DER RAUM,imports his own spirits,and i just sit under all the rum drooling(there is just over 60 in stock).However it costs around $30Aus per shot.Lemon Hart for exampl,and it's not even the 151.
Pretty pricey to try something that i have no chance of buying a bottle of.

Maybe not much of a selection from abroad, but what about the homegrowns? Inner Circle's stuff is world class I hear, and Bundy's not that bad. Are they still making Beenleigh?

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-17 5:36 pm   Permalink

Maybe not much of a selection from abroad, but what about the homegrowns? Inner Circle's stuff is world class I hear, and Bundy's not that bad. Are they still making Beenleigh?
[/quote]

Inner Circle is excellent stuff,and the Beenleigh is still being made although i think it's been bought by a new distributor so i dont know what will happen to it.I'm pretty sure it's actually made in the same place as Inner Circle.
I've yet to try the Beenleigh(but will at some stage),or Bundy,although i keep being told to stay away from it.I'll give it a go at some stage,because who knows,i might like it.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-12 07:08, Borky wrote:
Hi, this is my first post here, I'm just getting into the whole tiki drink thing. I got Grog Log and have Intoxica on the way. Browsing through Grog Log though, I've made a list of rum to get based on what I could find at my local liquor stores. I've already bought most of it and plan on adding later on. Can someone tell me if these are ok selections? I don't know the least bit about rum, unfortunately. And I couldn't find much discussion about 'gold' rums around here.

White Puerto Rican - Cruzan or Brugal White (I know they aren't PR but I've heard good things)
Gold Puerto Rican - Bacardi Select (this is a bit dark, but will it still be ok or should I get another one?)
Gold Jamaican - Appleton V/X
Dark Jamaican - Myers
Demererra Rum - El Dorado of some sort
151 Demererra - El Dorado 151
Barbados Rum - Mount Gay

[ This Message was edited by: Borky 2007-06-12 07:09 ]

Hey, you're in Maryland so take advantage of all the local distilleries!

White Rum - Avoid Puerto Rico altogether, stick with Virgin Islands rum instead (Cruzan, Port Royal)

Barbados - Try Doorley's X.O. very nice stuff.

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-14 12:29, Borky wrote:
Well who's to stop it unless it says "ALCOHOL" in big bold letters on the box? Could I get in serious trouble for doing that?

It's not happening. Ever notice how you can't get beer, wine, or booze in anything but a Liquor shop? It's because Maryland has an archaic and protectionist liquor industry. NO ONE will ship to Maryland from within the continental United States, not even dessert wines. You might be able to get an International company to ship to you... maybe.

Try Beltway liquors in Towson... fairly good selection, and I am pestering them every week to improve their rums.

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fishkilla

Posted: 2007-07-16 8:40 pm   Permalink

I just joined Tiki Central but have been reading it for quite some time.I've been an avid Whiskey and Scotch drinker for years now and always seemed to never really hold rum in the same regard.After a recent trip to Fort Lauderdale,Jamaica,and The Cayman Islands I've changed my tune a bit.While in Jamaica I bought a bottle of Appletons Estate 12 yr.In Grand Cayman I bought a Bottle of Havana Club Anjeo Reserve for 7 dollars(I did'nt realize at the time what i was getting for the price,I've since become aware of this good fortune).
I was surprised that I liked them both ,preferring the appleton a bit more.
I still have a little left in those bottles but over the last few months I have amassed a large collection based on recommendations that I've read in the Forums here on Tik Central.

And My Collection is:

Cruzan Estate Diamond-(I've Already opened this one and I'm about half way through it)
Cruzan Single Barrel
Pyrat XO
Pussers
Ron Anjeo Aniversario Pampero
Mount Gay Extra Old
El Dorado 15 yr.-(At the suggestion of my boss who is a native of Guyana)

I really Like the Cruzan Estate Diamond but I still like the flavor of the Appletons a bit more.
The other ones are unopened and I'm almost out of the Diamond,Appletons and the Havana Club-which will be left for Special occasions.
My Question.....Which one should I open next?

I'll decide by Majority and then post an opinion after.

Thanks From Down South,

Seth

View Profile of Fishkilla Send a personal message to Fishkilla  Email Fishkilla     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-16 9:01 pm   Permalink

I swear by that El Dorado 15 Year. I've made Mai Tais with several variations including the classic Jamaican/Martinique, but when I make them with the El Dorado, I just want to lick the glass clean. So open that next!

When I was trying to learn about rums, I lined up all my bottles and lots of little glasses and I just sipped. And I learned a lot that way. I do that with all my ingredients now, syrups, juices, bitters, etc.

Also, mixing your way through the Grog Log, you may find that your palate will become more sophisticated as you go along and what might seem too strong or "rummy" early on will be just what you like later -- or you could get a taste for the tartness of certain juices that made you pucker before.

What a wonderful learning experience... I hear my shaker calling...

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 04:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-16 21:01, TraderPeg wrote:
I swear by that El Dorado 15 Year. I've made Mai Tais with several variations including the classic Jamaican/Martinique, but when I make them with the El Dorado, I just want to lick the glass clean. So open that next!

When I was trying to learn about rums, I lined up all my bottles and lots of little glasses and I just sipped. And I learned a lot that way. I do that with all my ingredients now, syrups, juices, bitters, etc.

Also, mixing your way through the Grog Log, you may find that your palate will become more sophisticated as you go along and what might seem too strong or "rummy" early on will be just what you like later -- or you could get a taste for the tartness of certain juices that made you pucker before.

What a wonderful learning experience... I hear my shaker calling...

Me and my liver couln't agree more! On all counts! The El Dorado 15 makes my favorite version of the Mai-Tai, but I think it makes the best drink when you add ice and a small squeeze of lime.

And, the tasting trick is absolutly priceless when trying to 'discover' your bar. You will need that base tasting profile to know how to adjust a recipe to your liking.

And, I too hear your shaker calling, when are we going to get the Florida Ohana all together for drinks?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fishkilla

Posted: 2007-07-19 7:44 pm   Permalink

Well seeing as I only got 2 responses.I decided to go with their advice.However,I got a big paycheck this week and decided to get a bottle of Doorly's XO AND a bottle of El Dorado 5 year.I just didn't want to open up one of the older bottles that I have.Not quite yet.

But I did open the 5 year and let me tell you, if 5 years is enough to make a Rum this good, I can't wait to see what 10 more years will do to it.This rum is Excellent.I'm drinking it as I write this and I can't wait to get more.

I trying to think of the best ways to open these older premiums that I have.I'm thinking that maybe I'll get a handful of friends over and just start pouring rounds.My friends love to drink but I'm afraid to say that most are lightweights.Oh well ...more for me.

thanks Chip and Andy and Traderpeg

Seth

View Profile of Fishkilla Send a personal message to Fishkilla  Email Fishkilla     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation