FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis around your neighborhood
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tikis around your neighborhood
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 08:16 am   Permalink

This place is just about a mile north of me in Holiday Florida. I'm shure it was much "cooler" back in the days. I don't even think it's a Best Western anymore, but it's still there. The tikis have seen better days, but I heard it's been there sense the early 1960's.

Tiki Bill

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 8:05 pm   Permalink

At the end of a quiet cul de sac stands these gems:

I know the guy who owns/carved them. He's an eccentric, insanely talented artist. He says he doesn't want to carve tikis for commercial gain as it would be bad ju ju (for him). Too bad. He said he carves them with a chain saw and chisel. He's got 4 more in the back yard that are 4 to 8 foot in height, one holds two tiki torches in his hands. He did promise me when the mood strikes him he will carve a 6 foot palm section he's saved for me in exchange for setting up a web site for him. He's said that for two years now, I'm very patient. I have a spot picked out in my back yard, ready for it! Now if I could only tame the artistic mind to become logical for a few hours we'd be good to go!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-27 08:42 am   Permalink

I came across this snap shot that I took about nine years ago. This house was a block away from me. I always wanted to go ask where they found this guy, but I never had the nerve.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 3:09 pm   Permalink

Hollywood beach, Oxnard shores.

I had always wondered what happened to Tom Swift. Turns out he is into Tiki.

Tom directed me to his neighbor with the Hollywood Tiki among others who invited me to take picture.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 11:57 pm   Permalink

It was a beautiful morning, so I drove up the Windward side of Oahu to Laie.

Some of the Polynesian Cultural Center tikis, plus a tiki group in front of the Laie Inn.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 08:54 am   Permalink

Ahhhh...The PCC....Mecca.....Those tikis in the first Pic are G I A N T !!! I have a pic of me in front of them, somewhere.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 12:47 pm   Permalink

Wow, how great to see a variety of Tiki styles done today. Mahalo.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 01:26 am   Permalink

More of the PCC tikis:

World's Largest Coco Joe's - even has a big lime green paper tag on the back!
(No it's not and no it doesn't, but I might sneak one up there one night).

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-04 23:57, Koolau wrote:

This looks similar to the dude that Gecko used for his scorpion bowls. Who is he?

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 12:26 am   Permalink

LOL Tiki - Gecko based his scorpion bowl on a well known old Hawaiian serving bowl. I think I've seen it at the Bishop Museum or Iolani Palace, but I can't recall where, nor can I find a picture on line. The original is carved out of wood and is quite amazing; I like Gecko's too and bought one from him. That bowl absolutely freaks people out; many won't drink from it.

Here's another Oahu tiki - the Pali Longs tiki sign in Downtown Honolulu:

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 01:28 am   Permalink

Here it is:

18th century Kou wood Kava Bowl, collected on a voyage of Captain Cook. From the British Museum, so this isn't the one I saw. Described as "a bowl being held by men", so I have to believe these figures don't represent gods.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 5:11 pm   Permalink

Here's a couple of my 'locals'. About 100 yards from my workshop on a neighbouring property:

Carved by a Maori fella who used to own the property.

The most interesting thing for me is the fact he carved the 'Moais' which are almost never seen in New Zealand. Although I suspect these may have actually been modelled after similar head-dressed figures (often sylised into very simple form) that were carved atop very long posts, back in the days of the Maori fortified-village (Pa). *I call them 'the Moais' anyway..

There was also a proper Moai head that used to sit on the deck at the front of the house, welcoming cars on the main Highway as they enter our little historic village (Kumara!). I guess he took this one with him?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 7:40 pm   Permalink

COOL!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 8:17 pm   Permalink

There are some Great tikis here on these pages. Bring MORE, We Love it
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-06 11:17, LOL Tiki wrote:

Who is he?

This original source piece was theorized to be from a Hawaiian type of carving classified as a support figure. They were used on a number of "practical" objects. According to Hawaiian sculpture by Cox, "As far as is known, these carvings were entirely secular, having no part in religious ceremony or ritual..." Also, "The support figures are informal, suggesting the buffon, the acrobat, or the playful imp. They exhibit neither noble bearing, pride, nor manisfestations of mana. Instead, they are eternally committed to humble work, which they do lightly and with a cooperative and playful spirit."
There is also a theoritical link between these figure types and the Menehunes of lore.

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-05-10 21:36 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation