Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki post rotting
Tiki post rotting
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-12 8:44 pm   Permalink

How do I stop my tiki god from rotting? It's starting to rot from the bottom of the tiki on the backside where it's not carved but has bark on it. It's too heavy for a stand however I could place it on a few bricks but not sure how it would look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-12 9:07 pm   Permalink

http://www.minwax.com/products/woodmaint/hardener.cfm Does the Tiki get wet alot ? Is it in a moist location You could let it dry and use a product like this as a base coat and seal it with something (clear coat, wax or ???) Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-12 9:08 pm   Permalink

For got to ask...what kind of wood??

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 08:58 am   Permalink

Not sure what kind of wood it is but will ask my father n law- he'd know. Yes, it does get wet alot for two reasons. I live in Huntington Beach, CA. and it's next to my lawn and pool. Sprinklers hit it almost everyday. Minwax? Should have thought of that one myself being an expainting contractor. Boy was I bad at that. Good thing I got out of that racket.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 10:50 am   Permalink

establish where you want to display the tiki.sink a treadted 4x4,leaving about half the height of the tiki. place some flat stone slightly pitched forward,to drain water away, just in front of the 4x4.set the tiki on the stone predrilling the 4x4 ,run 2 galvanized lag bolts though the 4x4 into the back of the tiki. make sure you are laging into good solid wood. now, landscape around the 4x4 ,and keep the tiki soaked in a good penetrating protectant. do not seal,penetrate.of course this should be done after you clean out and stop the rot. the rot TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 10:27 pm   Permalink

What's this about tiki pot roasting??

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation