FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2007 Photos And Reports
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Hukilau 2007 Photos And Reports
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 12:48 pm   Permalink

That is sweet, I love Airstreams.
I was thinking of Tikifying my little camper for next years Hukilau. It's a 1966 Shasta with the wings on it. I have been using it as a storage unit. The inside is decked out but the outside..... Needs help. I have it all stripped down and have been procrastinating on what colors and design to go with . I think in September I am going to knuckle down and giterdone. Perhaps I will post the progress & transition once I get the project started.

I'll probably go with earth tones and with some tastefully subtle Tiki Details.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 3:27 pm   Permalink

Here's a little bit of post-Hukilau press...

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2007-06-28/news/disaster-nots/full

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 11:08 pm   Permalink

Mahalos to all who posted in this thread. At least we can live vicariously on TC. I sent an Okole Maluna to y'all from Seattle on Mai Kai Saturday Night. I firmly believe that the Mai Kai on Hukilau Saturday Night is an experience like none other. I wish I could have made it this year, but I'm glad a blast was still had. We're blessed to have such amazing folks organizing these events. Thank you, thank you!

[ This Message was edited by: selector Lopaka 2007-06-30 01:37 ]

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 07:43 am   Permalink

Tikibars, mahalo for linking that gem of a Hukilau report..that woman can write!......although with such a stew of characters and events how could one not be inspired!

after further review and the behind the scenes investigation I realize my forgiveness and cup is half full approach toward this story was off ...this person was truly correct when she said she ..."didn't understand it"...send her to a spring break bash next time there are far lower standards there..

[ This Message was edited by: Hula Cat 2007-06-29 13:42 ]

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 08:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link JT...
Now I know why Wal-Mart wouldn't process the pictures from my camera... Ha!

Cheers!
Brian Crum
The Intoxicators! & The Disasternauts

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 08:22 am   Permalink

All events depicted in this article are simply the author's rum-induced take on the Tiki Reality that transpired that evening... Should a photo of the 'vintage tiki' that exists 'down there' miraculously appear, I'm sure there's a member of my 'fan club' that might be interested LOL

View Profile of JETSETTER Send a personal message to JETSETTER  Email JETSETTER Goto the website of JETSETTER     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 08:29 am   Permalink

.....and don't let Stump Grinder know that Loki character is actually married.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 08:57 am   Permalink

Looks like I need me one of those Tiki Aliases so that on the two nights a year that I actaully go somewhere else I can do so clandestinely without the press reporting my every move!

View Profile of JETSETTER Send a personal message to JETSETTER  Email JETSETTER Goto the website of JETSETTER     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 2:56 pm   Permalink

I've never seen a more unaccurate report of Hukilau's events. What a meaningless, embaressing and hideous article. The reporter actually insulted me and all of the attendees beyond belief Saturday night - so much so that I wrote a letter to the editor. She even called the Mai Kai "a dump".

At least she did talk to some fab people!!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 8:36 pm   Permalink

As I said to Mike elsewhere, never read your own press: WEIGH it.
(Not sure how that axiom applies to the internet, but you get the point).

I dn't believe this writer had mean intentions - but she did strike me as sort of a smart-ass. The press have been making Tiki people out to be kooks since day one. Our options are either to deal with it, or to tell them to fuck off, which isn't exactly 'aloha'... although I've been tempted.

Let's see what happens on my radio interview tonight.
10 to 1 odds the guy tries to make me seem like a retard (shut up Dave!).
Any Quebecois out there want to record it?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 8:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-28 08:57, JETSETTER wrote:
Looks like I need me one of those Tiki Aliases so that on the two nights a year that I actaully go somewhere else I can do so clandestinely without the press reporting my every move!

"'He's so swanky,' Marie gushed."

ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 9:06 pm   Permalink

Here is a better article about Hukilau, that focuses on the Mai Kai.
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/features_food/2007/06/weve_been_to_th.html

My favorite line is this one.
"You can't really understand what the emcee says but he has a melodious voice, and you get the drift of what he's saying."

Lets hope the Mai Kai can reach an insurance settlement soon, and make repairs, before too many people are scared away by the initial look as you drive in.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 11:45 pm   Permalink

Good grief. What planet are these people on?

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 05:56 am   Permalink

It's modern blog journalism. Not real writing, just talking as opinionated and dumb as you are. And an editor who doesn't think its worth finding out any advanced bias. It's a party, so send that schelp over there. Errr.

Gotta get some sort of PR people out there to act as advanced teams steering these people to write a story.
Check out the story City Link did in 2003 to see real writing with the right frame of mind. It can be done, and in South Florida!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 06:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for that link Swanky... Nice article...
I must say that The Intoxicators! love everything that has every been written about us... Ha!
The paper in our hometown wrote an article about cover bands several years back that listed us... The reporter had never actually seen us...
Sometimes it works in your favor though... I sent an e-mail out one time to The Inoxicators! mailing list that we were playing Twang Fest II (a festival with featuring a surf band playing with a bunch of Hank III type country bands)... Since it went out to our mailing list, The Intoxicators! were listed first in the lineup for the show... This somehow got to a reporter, and they printed my e-mail almost word for word which made us out to be the headliner at Twangfest II... I thought it was hilarious... Of course it's not every day that the newspaper prints lines like "Break out the smoked mullet and boiled peanuts... and put some red on your neck... you are cordially invited to Twangfest II"
The promoter was not amused...

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!/Disasternauts

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation