FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » PopShop Opening AND FINALLY Tonga Hut Pictures...
PopShop Opening AND FINALLY Tonga Hut Pictures...
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-23 3:04 pm   Permalink

I am having a ‘gallery’ opening next Friday Night, January 31, from 6:30 to 8:30 PM, and I wanted to invite you’all to come…

I will be presenting a series of twenty acrylic and assemblage paintings called the Pop Shop. The affordably priced works are filled with vintage 3D title letters and little toys and trinkets. You can get a sneak preview of some of the work at
http://www.megorama.com/POPSHOP.htm
Oh and by the way – one of the paintings is named and dedicated to one of Tiki Central’s own… Mr. Smiley!!!

It’s at a bubble tea lounge called the Boba Bar. And there will be Fortune Cookies and live Casiotone music!
Boba Bar is located at 12044 1/2 West Ventura Blvd., just east of Laurel Canyon (across the parking lot from Dupar's in the Studio City Center) in Studio City -763-4790
The show runs from Friday, January 31 to March 2. They’re open every day from 11 AM - 11 PM and Sat. and Sun 11 AM – Midnight

Thanks for Listening

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-01-31 01:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-04-30 03:12 ]

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-01-23 5:49 pm   Permalink

Futura girl sez:I am having a ‘gallery’ opening next Friday Night, January 31, from
6:30 to 8:30 PM, and I wanted to invite you’all to come…
I will be presenting a series of twenty acrylic and assemblage
paintings called the Pop Shop. The affordably priced works are filled with
vintage 3D title letters and little toys and trinkets. You can get a sneak
preview of some of the work at
http://www.megorama.com/POPSHOP.htm
Oh and by the way – one of the paintings is named and dedicated to one
of Tiki Central’s own… Mr. Smiley!!!
----------mrsmiley sez: I hope you can post, email or mail me an image of that painting!---bruce <mrsmileyus@yahoo.com> thanks
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-23 9:18 pm   Permalink

Click on the photo to see a larger view.

These paintings are simple abstracts like this with the focus on the toys or trinkets and a way complex deep 'artsy' meaning

That's a genuine 1970's Smiley Face bought in a Wisconsin Dells gift shop on a cross-country family road trip in what I believe was the summer of 1971. I have a vivid memory of the tourist trap store with a huge sea of smiley pins and rings!

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-01-23 21:22 ]

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-24 12:15 am   Permalink

Be there or be....

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-24 3:30 pm   Permalink

Just to forewarn my fellow Tiki Centralites - "Boba Bar" isn't the kind of bar where you can get Mai Tais - they serve tapioca bubble tea. Try one - you might like it! But maybe those who are yearning for other refreshments could head over to the divey, yet delightful Tonga Hut afterwards? It's at 12808 Victory Blvd North Hollywood, CA (818) 769-0708 (a few miles north of Boba Bar and just east of Coldwater Canyon)

weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-28 12:15 pm   Permalink

Weird One will welcome Futura's Friday's fanfare of posted painted pictures at boba bar's ballyhoo! Seeyou in Studio City, suave Centralites.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 01:34 am   Permalink

I just stopped into the Tonga Hut tonight to make sure they'll still be there. You never know these days - we're losing the nearby Leon's Steakhouse soon.
Anyway - it's a plan - after the art opening is over - Tiki Centralites and friends - we'll make the trek a few miles north to visit the 8 foot Moai Head by the front door and enjoy some libations.
They usually play rock music - but maybe we can coax them to play a Denny tape or CD?

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-12 09:33 am   Permalink

FuturaGirl!
How did your event end up? Did you sell all of your prints or was it strictly an exibition? Any pictures of drunken madness?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 03:08 am   Permalink

FINALLY got around to posting these pictures of the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood...
the tiki outside the front door - with me and c.b. howlie
the tiki just inside the front door
inside with iuka grogg and king kukulele
the little tiki altar in the back corner.

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-04-30 03:12 ]

vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 9:03 pm   Permalink

Nice pics Futura Girl, but I wouldn't let Cherry Capri know that you're holding hands with CB Howlie! Or is there a cozy threesome going on here that I don't know about.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 9:12 pm   Permalink

You do look exceptionally radiant in that first picture, Futura Girl, hmmmmm.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 11:14 pm   Permalink

Wait, so Cheri Capri is the one married to CB? I thought that it was Futura. I'm so confused.....

....or am I?

Great art work Mary-Margaret

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-04-30 23:16 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-01 12:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-30 21:03, vintagegirl wrote:
Nice pics Futura Girl, but I wouldn't let Cherry Capri know that you're holding hands with CB Howlie! Or is there a cozy threesome going on here that I don't know about.

Well you know Vintage Girl - I think Cherry and Miss Trixie got something going on! That Cherry - she's a wild one...

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation