FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 12:01 am   Permalink

Nice expression on this guy. It is the start of a beautiful PNG for sure.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 05:45 am   Permalink

Craig-O,

Make sure to leave a high spot for the mouth; don't remove wood there until later. Think of it like the noze....

He looks great!

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 1:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks again, Conga, Ben-jamin, & G! G, I hear you on the mouth.

Todays session was cut short but I did get him to stand by himself by shaving the back of the base and also removed a bunch of the base (a little sketchy though). I also started to work on his beard and pierced his ears!

Now I need to try to fix this crack before I go any further! G- I'm calling you, pick up the phone!!!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 7:16 pm   Permalink

Well I went ahead and started the repair! I didn't really want to use dowels but it was the only thing I could think of. I'm not even sure if I did it right, I have never done something like this before. Here are some shots of what I did.

First I pre-drilled 1/2 inch holes w/ a paddle bit

Then I cut my 1/2 inch dowels to shorter pieces and glopped the holes with glue and then the dowels.

Then I just Taaaaaped em in, just taaaaaaped em in!

Then I put all the clamps on.

And put one in the head because there is a hairline crack started. I had a crazy idea since I was doing all of this anyway that if I put a foreign object w/ glue that maybe it would hold it and not let the crack get bigger, but maybe I'm on crack?

Hopefully if this turns out okay it will be smooth sailing after it's cured?

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2008-05-24 20:37 ]

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 11:41 pm   Permalink

WOW, Doc, excellent and thanks for sharing those pix. It's very interesting because I just didn't know what to do with cracks on my logs especially for a oak one that has 3 serious cracks.

Very nice surgery,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 12:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benella! I don't know how it will turn out but we'll see. I'm going to let it cure for a couple of days before I get back to it!

I don't know how good this method would be with your cracks? This wouldn't have worked on my last carving w/ the big crack in the face. This new one was pretty much cracked all the way through and I was able to squeeze the two pieces together by hand.

Again, what I did I just thought of in my head! It might not be the best method or even a method at all!

Scored some new logs today!!! I'm really excited about the one on the left. It will be the biggest attempt I have tried yet!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 2:24 pm   Permalink

nice logs! TFreak's got wood....

Just tap it in Happy, just taaap it in......give it the old tapperoo.....

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 6:08 pm   Permalink

There's no stopping you once you get started on a project....kudos on this new one and the repair.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 12:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks Robin! I think the repair worked. There is still a slight gap in the foot but that's as far as it would go clamped and it hasn't moved. It feels pretty solid so I think I will continue. Today I will break out the chisels!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 12:39 pm   Permalink

tikifreak, i've used tightbond before, but for cracks like that i like to use gorilla glue. it expands and fills in any spaces you can't quite clamp tight enough. it's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

looking good.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 2:52 pm   Permalink

That is quite an extensive surgery, well documented and it looks like it was successful. OK, the glue has dried, it is time to start chopping.

I'll agree with the comment above about Gorilla Glue. It works really well on wood.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 3:04 pm   Permalink

you make me proud....sniff.....

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 3:27 pm   Permalink

pdrake, thanks man! I'll have to try it next time

MR.P, I'm on it!

Master G- it's okay to let out your emotions on my thread, thanks buddy!

Here is a bit more for today, I went back to the grinder and tried to even out the legs and smooth out where I cut off the dowels. It probably doesn't look like I did much but these legs are giving me a hard time to give them any kind of shape so I'm going really slow.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 4:49 pm   Permalink

Man so much going on. Looks like you have
done well on the dowels.

He still looks very cool, nice going.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 5:27 pm   Permalink

T-Freak, Your guy is Really coming along quicker than I thought it wood. The repair looks perfect and shouldn't bother you at all. Man I can't wait to see This guy done!

Oh Yeah, Super nice Logs, man I'm Jealous!

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2008-05-27 17:29 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation