FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 09:05 am   Permalink

Hey thanks, I live in Woodbridge (not to far from D.C.). I don't think you're to far from me, but not real close either??? Maybe we can meet up some day??? Your stuff is looking cool too!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
insanetikiers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-15 1:58 pm   Permalink

cool man. we bout three hours southwest from ya. we'll have to get together sometime & talk tiki.stay cool& keep tha chips flyin.

View Profile of insanetikiers Send a personal message to insanetikiers  Email insanetikiers     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 7:27 pm   Permalink

I know I need to shave the top of his head more, it looks like he has elephantitis!

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix his legs??? (I didn't plan too good and the cuts are really tight!

Any suggestions on what to do on the backside of his legs??? Should I try to cut all the way through to the front?

And finally my tools came! 30 oz. mallet is no good for my weak little arms though!

Thanks
Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 2:59 pm   Permalink

Dude,

You've got this guy in the bag mang. Very nice. Yeah, you could dig in deeper on the legs and then round them in a little more - use the flat chisels to get in there. I think they'll look great. Awesome job so far Boss. Bettcha learned a bunch now didn't you? Your next one is gonna be smokin'! Just think what you'll learn tomorrow? Keep thinking and tweaking and push deep into that wood. Now you can start racking style points. You've got my attention.....you're a natural! DON'T RUSH IT.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 3:11 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, and use that big old new V-liner to cut that brother a butt crack. Round that crack into his thighs. PM me or look at the last post I did on my thread to see a butt in progress.

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 3:34 pm   Permalink

Cool, thanks G! Thats going to help a bunch. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have even dare tried this for my first attempt, and you're right I am learning a lot. Thanks for sticking w/ me! Any thoughts of what I should do w/ all that extra wood under the butt?? It's kinda hard to get to. I might need to get some more tools. Files/rasps???

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 3:59 pm   Permalink

Make his butt first and then see where we are with the rest of that wood. It can be easily removed if needed. I imagine if you cut in on an angle from the top and the bottom going to V with your straight chisles you won't see it much at all.

Just remember to leave enough wood on both sides to give his feet some width. You know, his heels and ankles and all....

-G

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2007-07-17 16:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gman 2007-07-17 16:13 ]

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 04:33 am   Permalink

Major accident last night!! I was working on the legs and feet and a huge chip knocked out of the base.

So this is the only thing I could think of to fix the problem, plan B!

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2007-07-18 06:32 ]

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 06:53 am   Permalink

Now looking at my mess up, I am seeing a new idea! I think I am going to risk taking his feet all the way to the floor, to make them bigger. This should also allow me to make the lower leg a little thicker too. It should not look like there is a base anymore if I do this. GMAN do you think this is a good idea or no. Do you think it will make him too weak? It looks like there will still be a good amount of wood to support him???

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 1:20 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a great idea. Without using/having a small base, it's the next best option. Looks good. Carve them feetz!

-G

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 1:43 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Carve'um up. If they break, they break, just have super glue handy. You won't be the first I Promise. Working yourself out of jams teaches you More about carving than the Whole rest of the piece! Don't forget that.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ootwoods
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-18 1:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-18 13:43, Benzart wrote:
Yeah, Carve'um up. If they break, they break, just have super glue handy. You won't be the first I Promise. Working yourself out of jams teaches you More about carving than the Whole rest of the piece! Don't forget that.

And, debonder. Any time you use superglue, make SURE you have a can of accellerator and a can of debonder handy.

It helps when, after you are SO careful not to glue your fingers to the piece, you later discover it ran down the joint, and your THIGH is now glued to it.

(been there, done that, got the contact burns)

View Profile of ootwoods Send a personal message to ootwoods      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 2:07 pm   Permalink

G, Benz, & Oot thanks for the tips! G, I'll try to give you a buzz tonight. I forgot my kids have swimming lessons at 7. It might be too late to call you after???

Craig

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 6:55 pm   Permalink

trying to fix the legs and feet!!!

Bottom feet

I don't know if you can tell but I blended in the old leg into one and used the old base as the new foot. Side profile I think looks better????

Still rough cuts!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2007-07-20 04:12 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 02:57 am   Permalink

Coming along nicely.

Tougher design to start with, so, Props to ya!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation