FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
C.P.R.'s carvings- Aumakua p.23/ PNG p.28/ / Big Hawaiian DONE! (11/29 p.34)
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 04:36 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki! Yeah it's been a challenge. Still struggling with the legs!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 2:55 pm   Permalink

Starting to go deeper and a little more progress on the legs and feet, but not much. It probably looks the same as all the other pics!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 3:19 pm   Permalink

Yeah man, he looks great! I can see where you've been working and it is moving along nicely. It looks like you have the feet all sorted out too. Great job! Now that you have him all figured out all you need to do is everything else Keep going, he's gonna be the shitz. You've learned a ton already. Good stuff!!!

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 04:29 am   Permalink

Thanks G! My goal is to try to wrap him up by Sunday, but we'll see how that goes!

Craig

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 4:35 pm   Permalink

I thought I would change up the scenery a bit. I know it doesn't look like a lot, but it took me a long a$$ time knocking out that wood in between his legs! Also, trying not to break anything!

worked on the butt a little too

So I think tomorrow I will do one final go around to make it deep throughout, then round everything out, one final sand, then stain!!!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 5:51 pm   Permalink

Easy there cowboy! Take your time and do him right. You can still put a lot of time in on him after you think he's done. You will be amazed at how much nicer you can make him. A little here....a little there.... You've done a great job so far, don't skimp on the fine-tuning and sanding.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 6:20 pm   Permalink

You're right G, I just feel like it's taking me forever to make any progress on this guy! I do think he is looking a little better everyday though. Thanks for the advise.

Craig

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 7:21 pm   Permalink

Great first!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 02:17 am   Permalink

First carve? Great job!

I cant claim to be any expert with wood so would advise you listen to Gman. The difference between an 'ok' carving and a really quality piece can be in getting those final depths right, fine-tuning your shaping and crisping (or softening..) edges/ridges etc. This is where your patience and 'eye' are put to the test.
That said, this is one to be proud of already. Ive seen far worse from people with far more experience. Keep it up!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 02:44 am   Permalink

Hello,

your first one is very cool. I agree with G-: take your time.

Tell you that everything you're doing that makes you waste a lot of time is a benefit for what will come next, it will built your experience.

Great job on your piece. How will you finish it? Stain, natural, paint, wax?

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 03:22 am   Permalink

Patience Patience Patience. Sand Sand Sand, and when your done sanding. Sand some more.

This is a beautiful first carve so far. Don't short change it's quality for the sake of time invested. Just keep at it. We'll wait patiently.

Very nice

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 05:08 am   Permalink

Hey everybody, thanks!!!

Sneakytiki- I haven't seen any of your stuff, so when you posted I checked out your thread and you have some really cool paintings & other crafts!!! Do you have a website to purchase, or do you even sell????

Tama- I never posted on your thread but I go there all the time, Your jade/greenstone carvings are awesome! I want some of your stuff too someday!

Benella- Very cool carvings, I think page three is my favorite. The moai w/ the shells is looking really cool too. I'm planning on staining it but I need to ask for advise when I get to that point.

Mctiki- thanks man! You're a good motivator. Mertiki turned out really cool!

And yes GMAN has been a great help, and has been been sticking with me from the start. I really appreciate all the advice he has giving me and will continue to take it! Thanks G!

Again thanks to everybody

Craig

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 09:51 am   Permalink

Excellent work TF, and you're getting some Excellent advice too and it's all Right on. Just take your time as the last bit of carving makes or breaks a carving. If you quit cleaning up too soon the quality suffers. You COULD stop now and have a respectable tiki, but if you continue to clean it up you will end up with an Awesome piece. In Any case he is Excellent especially for the first. Not many people get this good from the first. I remember my first was Terrible, worse than Anything you see around here.
Keep it up!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 10:08 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben, that means a lot coming from you! You have given me great advice too. I not gonna give up on this guy!

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 6:37 pm   Permalink

Shaved the sides of the mouth a little bit. It seemed to give it more shape and make the shoulders pop out more? Still need to fix the mouth.

Getting the arms and shoulders deeper ( not sure if I should go all the way through under the armpit) I don't think it will work with this?

Shaping the back (the head is killing me) It still has a really funny shape I can't seem to fix!

Other profile

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation