FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events 2007 Mermaid Parade, Coney Island NY
2007 Mermaid Parade, Coney Island NY
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-17 11:18 am   Permalink

It's that time of year again! The first Saturday of the summer brings out all the dregs and seething humanity from their long slumber for the penultimate event of the season..the MERMAID PARADE! This year it's the 25th anniversary. We at Otto's Shrunken Head Tiki Bar & Lounge will once again have a float. This years theme is PIRATES. Pirates are over-exposed, you say? Pirates are sooo last year, you say? Wrong! We're not some fair weathered pirate fans, We pioneered PIRATE-OKE! We celebrated NATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY since we've opened. Our babies were born with peg-legs and hooks for hands, so there!
12 noon
Sat. June 23rd
Surf Avenue by the Cyclone
Coney Island, NY
Come out and march with us or the Warriors will come after you!
ARRRRGHHH!

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 06:22 am   Permalink

Coney Island..what memories, remember it like it was yesterday !!! Everybody packed as tight as sardines in the ole 'Country Squire' the smell of Coppertone ....
The old man getting tank !!!!!

Memories ...Can't buy them !!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-06-20 10:16 am   Permalink

I highly recommend anyone on the east coast to attend this event! it was always a highlight of the summer, and coney is the best!

wish we were there, ride the cyclone at least 3 times in a row for me and eat a big bag of pink popcorn for me!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-20 10:34 am   Permalink

Hi Inky! Nice to have seen you in Vegas earlier this year. I'll have a Nathan's for you and ride the cyclone a few times for you!
steve/otto's

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 06:14 am   Permalink

Nicole (Birdgirl) and I will be making the long train ride down to Coney Island this year too. A Nathan's dog and a couple of beverages should make the day complete! See you all there.

Joe

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 10:48 pm   Permalink

Was anyone there? Are there pics to be posted?

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-24 1:50 pm   Permalink

Pictures you want, pictures you got...here are some that are relatively appropriate for public consumption...

of course you have to start with a couple of dogs from Nathan's

as well as a nice cold beer

as expected there were the Coney Island freaks...

and even the odd celebrity:

Here's the float from Otto's Shrunken Head (you can see Nell in yellow):

And here are some sea creatures:

a crab:

jellyfish:

and the elusive moneyfish:

There were several other floats and marchers, all very creative, but most of which not appropriate for sensitive eyes.....

A great time was had by all.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-24 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-24 13:50, leisure master wrote:
Pictures you want, pictures you got...here are some that are relatively appropriate for public consumption...

Thanks for posting those great photos! I had to work and missed it this year.
The weather couldn't have been more perfect for the event.
How about some tiki mermaid marchers for 2008?

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 08:22 am   Permalink

In the pic of our float, you can see next to Nell, sits a treasure chest that was filled with our secret, potent MAI TAIs! We used it to bribe the judges and I think it actually got us a win in a couple of categories!

tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 1:51 pm   Permalink

We win!!!
Thanks to the Scurvy Pirates who performed on our float we won for Best Musical Group and got second place for Best Motorized Float!
Trophy Party at Otto's!

tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 9:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the Pics! Looks like a way kewl event!

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation