FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 5:56 pm   Permalink

that looks great p! nice job on the binding and the wood/paua piece is beautiful.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 10:56 pm   Permalink

thanks, bullet. i've shown this piece to a few people in person and have been told the photos don't do it justice. i'm very, very happy with it. i'm working on more. the paua is just so beautiful to me. i love the contrast between it and the wood. it really makes me happy to see it married so closely together. i hope i can get really good at making these as i enjoy them so much.

here's another sneek at something i'm working on . . .

lots of tiny sanding to do on it, but you can still see some beauty in the zebra wood. good thing i gots the sanding elves.

har har har . . . .

oooh, my hands hurt.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 12:03 am   Permalink

Beautiful lure PD. That paua would really attract the fish!

Awesome again. Congrats!

Looking forward to the zebra wood . . .

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 01:19 am   Permalink

Deeamn!How did I miss that lure? Very nice Perry! That barb looks great on its own, kinda fish-like.. Love the combination of materials & your binding looks fine.

Ka pai!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 9:38 pm   Permalink

thank you very much andy. i've got a few more of them on the bench. they're fun to make and i like the different woods i'm using. (working on one that's green and one that's black.)

oh, and "moko moko moko". taiaha is kicking my butt.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 9:37 pm   Permalink

more junk . . .

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 07:31 am   Permalink

Hi Perry, wow! I like the last jade piece.... very cool!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 08:40 am   Permalink

Perry, that's some cool junk! I really like this guy. The shape is great, and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates on it!

Zaya

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 09:06 am   Permalink

thanks amy and zaya. it's still pretty rough. lots of sanding to go and carving and sanding.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 7:43 pm   Permalink

here's a little update.

i'm not posting this to get strokes, just so's people know. i really appreciate the encouragement and it helps keep me going, but any criticizm is welcome and expected. i got some great advice today from paipo and it's really wonderful to have the other carvers see stuff and listen to their input and wisdom.

so, anyway . . .

sometimes i feel that these are all practice pieces as i can see stuff that i've done wrong and how i should do it better next time.

maybe i just shouldn't look so close.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2007-07-19 20:17 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 8:44 pm   Permalink

Maybe you should get magnifiers so you can see better, maybe they would help in giving you better rough out quality which would make clean-up easier. Perry, you have SO Much talent, Anything you can do to ease the burden of hand sanding will make your stuff that much better.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 9:12 pm   Permalink

HAHAHA! that's funny. i have magnifiers. i guess i need to get better ones. (or get my eyes checked.) thanks, ben. hehehe. i really appreciate your input whenever you have time to give it.

i don't know how you do it. i want to remake every piece i do because of the mistakes i make. i guess that why it takes people years to get good at this stone stuff. i wouldn't even show it if i didn't want feedback from masters like you. maybe i just have too much of a rush feeling because i want the piece to come out of the stone the way i see it in my head. i know that patience is a very important part of carving. sometimes i carve too fast and too hard and i think that hurts the stone. especially with my current tools. i know the old saying, "a poor craftsman blames his tools", but i also have seen what a difference good tools can make. i've been having trouble since i broke my good flex shaft. i think i'm about ready to invest in a high quality, water fed micro motor with air feed. my compressor is just sitting around feeling unused.

this forum really keeps me going. thanks everyone.

T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 10:44 pm   Permalink

Hey Perry, I really like the look and the shape of it, I don't know what it is but I would like to see it when it's all done. Hope when I come down to the next chop you'll bring it with. I also wanted to ask if you could bring that grinding unit again next time so I might give it a whirl (with some guidence if you could). I have a few small stones I wanted to shape if you wouldn't mind. Thanks bro.

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 11:01 pm   Permalink

you bet. it's pretty easy to pack and go.

here's some pics of the lure i'm working on, too. the wood is lignum vitae. it will soon be very popular as it's the "wand wood" in the new harry potter movie. it's a very, very oily wood that smells like sandalwood when you carve it. these pictures make it look brownish/tan, but when it oxidizes (is exposed to oxygen/air) it turns green. a nice pretty green, too. it's soo cool to work with except for the smell (it can be overpowering). it's very, very dense and has a great grain.

i've had a hard time making the paua match up to wood. i can't imagine how the natives did it with primitive tools. it's so difficult to get the curves right. after i get one of these done i look at it and wonder how that happend. the shells have the most complex, compound curves and you have to match those up to the wood. sometimes there are very thin parts in the shells and you have to make the wood work with it and you cant work with the shell. she just says, "hey, this is it. deal with it."

the contrast is just the most amazing thing to see, though. hope you like it. (yes, please stroke me.)

kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 12:36 am   Permalink

Like it PD?

OMG - that is just STUNNING.

I love your stuff. You suffer from that artist's affliction - perfectionism. I have learnt to accept that the ancients have their own idea how it should look, and mine is not always the same. Also, nothing in real life is perfect, so why should our art be?

Your stuff is good - keep it up, cause I love looking at it!

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation