FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Does anyone know what Pearl Diver's Mix is?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Does anyone know what Pearl Diver's Mix is?
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 1:06 pm   Permalink

I wasn't able to make Hukilau this year, but my friend brought me back chapter 4 of Beachbum Berry's new book Sippin' Safari. In the book it has the origional drink recipe for the Pearl Diver's Punch, and it calls for 3/4 oz of pearl diver mix(says same as coffee grog batter) This recipe is from Don the Beachcomber. Thanks

Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-21 1:42 pm   Permalink

Coffee Grog Batter from "Sippin' Safari":
Cream 1 ounce softened sweet (unsalted) butter and 1 ounce ornage blossom honey with 1 teaspoon cinnamon-infused sugar syrup and 1/2 teaspoon each vanilla syrup and pimento liqueur.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 10:55 am   Permalink

Pearl Diver has become my new favorite drink; however, it requires a 1/2 ounce mix made of 5 different syrups and ingredients. This mix is what make the Peal Diver so absolutely wonderful. But, for the ordinary Tiki Mixologist, some of the ingredients are no where on hand. So, I contacted Jeff Berry and forwarded to him my own thoughts about short-cutting the recipe in order to obtain similar results.

1/4 oz honey
1/4 oz butter
1 tsp simple syrup
1/8 or less tsp of cinnamon
dash of freshly ground allspice and a
few drops of vanilla

heated, stirred, and shaken before being added to the blender.

Here's what he said, "As long as you can taste all the "notes" of cinnamon, allspice and vanilla, I don't see any reason why you couldn't sub your mix. (The simple syrup and vanilla extract should do the trick for the vanilla syrup; if you're not tasting the cinnamon and allspice, just add more...)"

I've been doing this now for a couple of days and the drink is unlike any other Tiki dirink I've either had or made myself. I drop a maraschino cherry in it to simulate a pearl.

It's a great drink.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 01:52 am   Permalink

The other night, TofuJoe had the good folks behind the bar at Forbidden Island whip up a Pearl Diver's Punch - I think Haole Akamai had made up some coffee grog batter. And man oh man was it good! Pretty soon we were all drinking Pear Diver's Punch! Similar to a Don The Beachcomber Nui Nui, most likely due to the Pimento Liqueur. I will definitely be ordering this drink again!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-17 10:08 am   Permalink

I'm highjacking an old thread to see if there are any botanists out there who know what the leaf is that garnished the Don the Beachcomber Pearl Diver. See illustration below.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-17 2:40 pm   Permalink

It very much looks like the edible leaf of the Stinging Nettle
due to the heart shaped leaf, also it is safe to serve as a garnish.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-17 3:39 pm   Permalink

Hey! I think you're right! A nettle leaf. Thanks ATP!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-19 5:09 pm   Permalink

If the drawing is accurate, I think you're looking for a more perfectly heart-shaped leaf than that nettle, and with less pronounced serrations.
One possibility is a species of trees, the Tilia, also called Linden, Basswood or "Lime" (but not to be confused with citrus). Here are leaves of the Small-leaved Lime (Tilia cordata), which are apparently edible:

Here is the leaf of the American Lime, or Basswood (Tulia americana), also edible:

Again, if the drawing is right, we may be looking for a leaf with a longer stem than these. Upon further reading, it seemed this tree would struggle in the warmth of much of California. So maybe a vine or tree more suited to California? But then I ran across references to 100+ year old specimens in California, after all.
(
Source for the photos, above.)

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-05-19 17:46 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-05-20 08:39 am   Permalink

Both this thread, and Beachbum Berry's new Pearl Diver glasses pushed me into making a Pearl Diver for the first time last night. That's a pretty labor intensive cocktail if you're making everything from scratch! Nice texture though.

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-20 08:43 am   Permalink

Thanks Limbo. That does look closer to the drawing than the nettle leaf. You would think that it would have to be a plant in easy supply in order to garnish a lot of Pearl Divers, assuming it was a popular cocktail at Don's. Since it's rather an unusual garnish, I would think that the leaf would have some kind of connection to the name of the cocktail, or one of the ingredients.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2015-05-20 08:46 ]

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-21 10:29 pm   Permalink

I also see that leaves of violets look similar and are apparently edible as well. Plus they have long stems.

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-22 06:36 am   Permalink

Arriano, I think you've found your answer - violet leaves are much more likely than the tree leaves I suggested. They're easy to grow - they might have been in pots or flower beds, at the McCadden Place location, giving Don the idea.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-05-22 3:44 pm   Permalink

I always had it in my head that the leaf garnish should be a geranium leaf - the Skin Diver recipe from the Tiki+ app calls for one:

But I figure any non toxic leaf that you have in plentiful supply would be good

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CongoPete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-05-22 3:57 pm   Permalink

This just came in the mail.... this thread is perfect timing.. guess what i am making tonight.. lol

The side of the box says " garnish with a geranium leaf "

[ This Message was edited by: CongoPete 2015-05-22 16:09 ]

View Profile of CongoPete Send a personal message to CongoPete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-22 5:17 pm   Permalink

Let me check with The Mai-Kai. It's possible they still have an original recipe on file that mentions the garnish. As we know, many of these were direct copies of Don the Beachcomber drinks.

Pearl Diver = Deep Sea Diver
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/09/21/mai-kai-cocktail-review-legacy-of-this-classic-drink-runs-deep/

Of course, it's likely that other restaurants did their own versions with different garnish.

CongoPete: I'd love to see a photo of the drink in the new glass. I can't wait to get mine at The Hukilau. Tiare has a nice one up on her blog:
http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=21460

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation