[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Here's Hawaii
Here's Hawaii
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-24 5:07 pm   Permalink

I just got hold of a great old book called 'Here's Hawaii' by Bob Krauss,
published in 1960. I've only just skimmed through it, but there's stuff on glass
float collecting, a date with a hula girl, as well as a piece where the author takes
a couple of zoologists to see Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman at Don the Beachcombers
to see if they can identify any of the birdcalls used. James Michener provides the
foreward. Looks like an interesting read. If I get a little time I'll post some extracts
if anyone's interested.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-26 11:04 am   Permalink

Woody, I used that very description of Martin Denny live at Don The Beachcomber's for my linernotes for the Rykodisk "Taboo" CD re-issue a while back, because I deemed it the best verbal rendering of the whimsical quality of Exotica music .

Bob Krauss was a columnist in Waikiki in the 60s.

This book also historically confirms that the glassfloat-as-decor started as a fad in Hawaii, from beachcombing the fishnets floats that had drifted over from Japan.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-01-26 11:10 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-26 11:10 am   Permalink

I'd sure like to read some excerpts from this volume. Woody, if you come across some especially eloquent passages, please share a paragraph or two with us. Thanks!
-Weird Uncle Tiki

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation