FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Former Islander location on La Cienega for rent
Former Islander location on La Cienega for rent
nichols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-22 4:14 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure if the Islander building was completely demolished or if it's just unreconizable under the many renovations to 385 N. La Cienega Blvd. in Los Angeles, but this Craigslist ad indicates it might be coming down. The Acapulco is no big loss, but I just wanted to put it out there.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/off/357058815.html

Thanks.

View Profile of nichols Send a personal message to nichols      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 5:31 pm   Permalink

the only thing left are the old palm trees. Sad..

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-06-22 7:26 pm   Permalink

Are there any pictures of the Islander from that angle? It would be interesting to see before and after shots. Interesting and sad.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 11:08 am   Permalink

There is a book out there called "The Book of Tiki" (I think) and low and behold, on page 12 it shows a similar angle of the Islander building that reveals that at least the ramp up to the entrance seems to be the same. Even the parked car is somewhat in the same spot.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-06-23 11:52 am   Permalink

“The Book of Tiki” Hmm like the one on my shelf about 18 feet from where I’m sitting? The one that weighs about 3 Pounds? The one I’m too lazy to pick up an open? Is that the “The Book of Tiki” you are speaking of?

Before I knew that Acapulco’s address was where The Islander had been I thought that The Islander was further south on La Cienega and part of Restaurant Row.

Looking at the pictures side by side (I got up) I also thought the Islander was a huge multi-floored place. I didn’t know it was high so you could park underneath.

It’s nice to see that some of the Palm Trees are still there.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 12:13 pm   Permalink

Aren't the stairs / ramp in front from the original Islander?? And what about that little garage / car port thing in the middle of the newer picture above? Looks like rickshaws or something parked in there in this postcard.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2007-06-23 12:21 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-06-23 12:44 pm   Permalink

Whew! Now I can relax.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2007-06-23 12:58 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 1:45 pm   Permalink

its a damn crying shame that the Islander was ever taken down.
I could care less about the building now,
get rid of it, its an eyesore if you ask me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-06-23 2:52 pm   Permalink

I really should get out and do something.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2007-06-23 14:54 ]

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 4:55 pm   Permalink

Yeah, get Benny to buy it. He will know what to do with it!

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 6:33 pm   Permalink

OMG! All the time I have had the Islander print in my dinning room, I never realized it was Acapulco.
Just as well, I would have hated being Acapulco if I had known.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation