[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food making the mai-tai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
making the mai-tai
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 12:32 pm   Permalink

I'm goin' to Hi-Times as we speak. I'm gonna use the Doc's advice about the mai-tai and make it like they hooked us up at the Beverly Hills TV.
My only question; Doc, is what are these parisols that you speak of? All I can find are cocktail umbrellas...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 12:52 pm   Permalink

Doctor Z,

Sorry for the incomplete instructions. You put the Mai Tai mix together first, and then add to your individual drinks to suit your taste, saving any left over mix for future drinks. Your right, all that syrupy stuff in a single drink would be quite intolerable! That's probably why I didn't get that bartender job.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 4:14 pm   Permalink

Well if you've rum, lime juice and pineapple juice, you're on your way to getting a decent cocktail, but with just those 3 ingredients, it's nowhere near a Mai Tai.

With all the classics, it's the time-tested formula which gets the kudos. Compare a real Mai Tai to your rum punch mix and then enjoy...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 11:31 pm   Permalink

Yo! Doctor Z! Thanks for the correction! I got my pronuciation from the only website I could find that appeared to know what the hell I was talking about (long gone from my memory banks by now). Of course... I've had other French Language Experts tell me that it should be OR-zhay. They're all slackers, though.
And Thanks Too, to WeirdUncleTiki for pointing out that it doesn't matter if you walk into a store and ask for OR-zhat, OR-zhay, OR-zhah, or Arnold-The-Talking-Pig if they ain't got none of it.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-01-26 12:21 pm   Permalink

Although rum, lime juice, and pineapple could be called a tropical drink, it wouldn't be a very tasty one. Since there's no syrup to counteract the lime juice one would have to use a lot of pineapple juice for sweetener. I find that a lot of pineapple juice tends to overpower a drink. A little bit is fine but I get repulsed by the metallic taste of canned pineapple juice. Has anyone found an alternative to canned? I know at the Mai Kai they squeeze their own pineapple juice but I tried it once (in a juice-o-mat) and I didn't get much juice from a lot of expensive pineapple.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-26 12:42 pm   Permalink

Hey, Thejab!
In the Bay Area, try Safeway brand fancy 100% Hawaiian pineapple juice in 2 quart plastic bottles. It's sweet, but with enough acid to make it well balanced and yummy. Don't be scared by the bright yellow color, that's just the color of the plastic. For folks outside Northern California, it comes packaged as Von's brand at Von's and Pavillions stores. I was driven away from the name brand juice by the fact (or delusion) that Dole pineapple juice gives me the burps.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-26 4:56 pm   Permalink

SUCCESS!
Got the orgeat and everything is tiki lamps and Arthur Lyman. Next thing I gotta work on is getting more crushed ice, some curacao that ISN'T blue, and cool dragon glasses like they have at Chan's Dragon Inn (can probably get those in China town) and I'll be in real business. But yeah as far as the taste, it's all Elvis Hawaii '72. Nice! Also...I think I've noticed the importance of the cherry/pineapple garnish. Without the faint smell of the pineapple on the glass edge the drink loses that tiki/tropical feel, even if it is mixed well. I think I've stumbled (no pun intended) on a small revelation concerning drink mixology. I think guys like Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber really knew what the f' they were doing!!!! It's those litle nuances that make the stuff. Props to Traitor Vic for the tip on finding the Orgeat at a specialty coffee dealer. I bought the Torani brand which is the same brand you find behind the counter at any coffee sipping joint.
Anybody got any special recipes for a Zombie?
Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-26 16:58 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-26 5:54 pm   Permalink

a mai tai with pineapple juice?????, that is like comparing sex with masterbation!

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-26 10:55 pm   Permalink

twowheelin'tiki,

By jove I think you've got it!

Keep your sunny side up.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-27 02:58 am   Permalink

Congrats, Don! The Torani stuff is very good, don't you think? Glad I was able to help you find it.
The Zombie is, of course, a much more simple (and yet much more complicated) concoction. All I've been able to figure out about it is that it is much better to make it with Really Good Rum. This, of course, can get a bit pricey but it's worth it. A Zombie made with Cheap Rum is Good. A Zombie made with Good Rum is GREAT!
Also... Go ahead and mix Doubles of Everything. Tiki mugs and glasses tend to be large. I have yet to find a reason not to fill them to the top. The people for whom you are constructing these drinks will thank you, albeit in a slurred voice.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation