FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Show us your record collection!
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-24 2:26 pm   Permalink

I could've sworn up 'n down there was already a topic covering this, but a relatively thorough search turned up nothing anywhere... Could be I saw it on the night my sweet tooth went crazy and I put away half a bottle of Sangster's Jamaica rum cream...
I'd like to see other collections up here, just so's I can get a look at what else is out there to hunt down (a lot)...
Too much to hamper down TC, so -
A Collection of Exotic Albums
(A good chunk of the images I had to upload to RYM myself)

http://rateyourmusic.com/~vonFrankenstein

[ This Message was edited by: twitch 2010-03-19 14:49 ]

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 04:52 am   Permalink

Very nice Twitch!!!

Thanks for the link. You got some GREAT records there.

Nice job on the photos too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 04:59 am   Permalink

That's great. I might sign in on that website and do it too.
Thanks for the link, and you have a really great collection.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 11:06 am   Permalink

Hey, nice collection! So many that I don't have. And thanks for the album cover scans. I love eye candy like that.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-25 8:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comps!
I actually never knew how many of the things I had accumulated until I joined the RYM site & listed them. Grab one at a thrift, give it a quick listen and then it gets lost between some punk & country albums or stuck in with the wacky outsider-Christian-whistling LPs... of course, that's only applying to the cheesier ones: Sumac, Denny, Drasnin etc. all have their hallowed slots.
About ten of them I got off ebay - 8 hard-to-find ones in one lot. Wish I was that lucky the rest of the time...
But beware if you join RYM - it's highly addictive and'll slowly chip away at your TC time.
Now how 'bout those other collections? Show 'em off!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pahoehoe Ule

Posted: 2007-06-26 7:42 pm   Permalink

Well, OK. My record collection is all on cds, but it's alright: a lot of them SOUND like LPs. The guided tour begins here...

This is the lounge/Exotica/electronica section, from the 49th State Hawaii stuff through Zloty Dawai. Note room for future expansion.

Same room: classic rock Abba to ZZ Top, and graciously interpolating Tiger Lily's teapot collection.

Here we have the concert DVD & box set shelf. Note stacks of new acquisitions awaiting their jackets. This is in the monastic computer closet adjacent to...

...the Celtic/Soundtrack/Jazz/Classical shelf. From the Akira soundtrack to Zawinul. Wire rack on closet door contains new acquisitions awaiting a listen and further classification. Yeah, I know.

Contrary to all the ex-punkers who're supposed to be Tikiphiles now, Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen, the Progressive Rock Wall!!!(aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!)

Co-owner (with Tiger Lily) of Jackson Street Books; operator of Gray Mortuary Recordings, featuring releases by Menage`A Twang and forthcoming Exotica titles by Tony Arnold (Pahoehoe Ule). Music & odd book enthusiast; advocate of moderate hedonism.

[ This Message was edited by: Pahoehoe Ule 2007-06-28 09:07 ]

View Profile of Pahoehoe Ule Send a personal message to Pahoehoe Ule  Email Pahoehoe Ule Goto the website of Pahoehoe Ule     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 12:41 am   Permalink

I am all for vinyl, have a bout 5 albums I haven’t really listened to yet.
I will contribute a pic here in the future.

KK

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 05:12 am   Permalink

Hi,

Wow, some amazing shots! Twitch, those are some great LP covers. And Pahoehoe Ule, I love the "wall(s) of sound." Very impressive.

Here's what I've got up online:

A bunch of favorite LPs can be seen here:
http://www.jetsetplanet.com/gallery/

Also galleries at http://www.kfai.org/node/94 (half way down the page there are some gallery links), and individual covers for each week's show (click on the "more" buttons in the "previous shows" section).

~glen

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2007-06-27 05:16 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 08:53 am   Permalink

I have much of the common Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, and Les Baxter, both Robert Drasnin Voodoo's, but on vinyl, I have a few unusual items. A mint copy of Dominic Frontiere's "Pagan Festival," which I love, Dick Shory's New Percussion Ensemble "Music for Bang Baaroom and Harp," also mint, which is not as cool, and "Felix Slatkin Conducts Fantastic Percussion," also mint, which I do like quite a lot.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 09:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-27 08:53, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
and "Felix Slatkin Conducts Fantastic Percussion," also mint, which I do like quite a lot.

Mayor, I very much AGREE! That Slatkin LP is fantastic. In fact, I'm busting it out for next week's show!

~glen

p.s. I'm also for lower rum prices. You've got my vote!

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 12:44 pm   Permalink

Here's a shot of the listening lounge..right next to the bowling shrine. About half of the cd's are missing from the shelf because they are either in the car or at my husband's work. The vinyl is a mix of new wave, punk, garage rock, glam rock, and psychedelic.I have a stack of exotica and weird 1950s dork music with cool covers in the tiki room. We have a 1950s Blaupunkt console in there.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-27 12:44, sputnikmoss wrote:
. . . and weird 1950s dork music ....

[sigh] weird 1950s dork music.... ah yes, the stuff that dreams are made of...

Pahoehoe Ule

Posted: 2007-06-28 12:42 pm   Permalink

A bunch of favorite LPs can be seen here:
http://www.jetsetplanet.com/gallery/

Thanks for the direct: that's quite a beautiful collection of album art. I especially like the fact that you included some Mancini and Quincy, as well as classic lounge.

Pahoehoe Ule

View Profile of Pahoehoe Ule Send a personal message to Pahoehoe Ule  Email Pahoehoe Ule Goto the website of Pahoehoe Ule     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 3:39 pm   Permalink

Pahoehoe Ule,

Thanks for checking out the LP cover gallery! Glad you liked it.

Quote:

On 2007-06-27 08:53, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
.... and "Felix Slatkin Conducts Fantastic Percussion," also mint, which I do like quite a lot.

Mayor, finally dug this record out... it's been awhile. The version of "Autumn in New York" is absolutely incredible -- nice and spooky opening, then the flute on the melody with a quiet march beat -- followed up by the "percussion instrument potpourri" (where everyone and his brother gets a turn on something) and then the harp kicks in. Add back in a haunting ending of flute and harp --- NICE!

I just added it to the playlist for next Monday's show.

~glen

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2007-06-28 15:47 ]

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-30 05:08 am   Permalink

WOW!!!

Nice collection Pahoehoe!!!

Cheers,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation