FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 )
Show us your record collection!
shop99er
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-17 10:28 pm   Permalink

View Profile of shop99er Send a personal message to shop99er  Goto the website of shop99er     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jazzlystrung

Posted: 2015-03-18 08:14 am   Permalink

Believing that the Lady from the Vinyl and Postcard art collected are indeed one in the same, I have noticed Photographic moniker of Billy Howell and have tried to find out about the Photographer, who I have gleaned was a Honolulu based Photographer thru the 1950s and have researched this gentleman and his work, albeit to little avail, related solely to this woman, whoever she may be.
Still at the very beginnings of a project and hoping that someone may remember something or the lady herself may step forward is indeed very exciting.
Cheers!

View Profile of jazzlystrung Send a personal message to jazzlystrung      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-18 9:15 pm   Permalink

I kind of doubt it's Rivera, because as Miss Hawaii, she most likely would have been IN Hawaii, and this picture was taken in a studio on the mainland I believe, on the same set as some other budget LPs. Also, I've never seen this woman in any post cards from Hawaii, which is also generally a sign that she's not IN Hawaii. Probably a series of photos sold for whatever purpose.

One credits George Pickow of Three Lions as photographer. Another credits the "color transparency" to Three Lions. The others say nothing.
Same set, different model.

And here's one of her in the same session. THis one, a Santo & Johnny release from Germany, on Ariola, I believe a German budget label.

Perhaps it's possible she was one of the dancers at the Hawaiian Room at New York's Lexington Hotel as some of thiose women showed up on LP covers shot on the mainland, but I don't think she is.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shop99er
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-20 8:47 pm   Permalink

Wow. That's quite a bit learned in a short time! Hope you guy get it figured out.

Here's today's work.

View Profile of shop99er Send a personal message to shop99er  Goto the website of shop99er     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 9:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I must hear this!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-21 3:44 pm   Permalink

Have put these pics in Home Tiki Bars before but as the room is now gone ....

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-24 7:43 pm   Permalink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=100&v=gmnW2b6WH_s

I've been doing a video series on my Hawaiian record collection some of you might enjoy. I'll be done with the series around sometime in 2037..lol.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 6:48 pm   Permalink

Scooped these up in New Orleans this past weekend for under $5 a piece.

The bottom right "Hawaii" one is from the Surfmen. I didn't realize they had another album besides Exotic Island. And the "Polynesia" one top right is by the Polynesians and is the same album as "Polynesian Paradise" by Chango and the Polynesians with a different, more suitable cover, plus it's on red vinyl.

I was planning to rip some of my Hawaiian and exotica records that I can't find on slsk to MP3 but just realized my new computer doesn't have any sort of mic input, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I used to just use the preamp of my receiver and run a 1/8" line from there into the computer and record to Audacity. shop99er and Ghostsoldier, you guys mentioned you were ripping your records. Any way you can set up your MP3s for sharing? I'd love to add some more music to my playlist.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shop99er
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 4 days ago; 3:41 pm   Permalink

mikehooker--We can see what can be done.

Today's recording:

shop99er
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2 days ago; 8:53 pm   Permalink

Recorded these today.

shop99er
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 10:55 pm   Permalink

Today:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation