FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Show us your record collection!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
Show us your record collection!
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-27 10:34 am   Permalink

Love this back cover photo

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-19 7:55 pm   Permalink

Scores from this weekend's Austin Record Convention:

They ranged between $2-10 each which is the most I'm usually willing to pay for Hawaiian or Exotica records (Gene Rains, Paul Conrad and Robert Drasnin being the exceptions and my top wants at the moment). It amazes me how many dealers were asking $20-50 for super common Martin Denny and Les Baxter records that they most assuredly returned home with.

And here are some recent thrift store finds all for $6 and under:

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 06:01 am   Permalink

Some recent finds: NZ picture sleeve EPs dating from the late 50s to the early 60s, including 3 from Wellington's Viking Records label. The first two are by Eddie Lund & His Tahitians:

Loma & Her Polynesian Playmates (produced and arranged by Eddie Lund):

And one from Astor Records, an Auckland label. This EP looks like it would have been an in-flight souvenir on TEAL's flights from Auckland to South Pacific destinations all the way to Tahiti:

The earliest known tiki mug: "Ruru and Weku", designed by Harry Hargreaves of Crown Lynn, New Zealand, 1949.

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2016-06-27 06:01 ]

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:34 pm   Permalink

I'm pretty sure I've got more albums that would qualify buried in my stax o' wax, but these are the lion's share of the Hawaiian, Lounge, and Exotic discs in my collection - including my most recent unearthings:

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 07:15 am   Permalink

Grabbed this copy of The Romantic Lure of Hawaii by the Surfmen yesterday. Sad to report that the disc is roached. It sounds like someone tried to play it with far too much tracking weight, several times over...

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Adam Aku Aku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 1:50 pm   Permalink

Keep that sleeve. They are flimsy and hard to find intact. The record is really common so you'll find it again. So once you get a copy with decent vinyl your set.

View Profile of Adam Aku Aku Send a personal message to Adam Aku Aku  Email Adam Aku Aku     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 11:03 am   Permalink

A bit of good news - the record's not as far gone as I thought. I gave it a second good (gentle) scrubbing. That seems to have loosened the gunk causing a lot of the groove noise. Probably smoke residue if I had to hazard a guess. It's still roached, but at least it's almost listenable now.

shop99er
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 1:19 pm   Permalink

Just picked up this little gem. Sleeve is kinda beat up, but I couldn't pass up the price.

View Profile of shop99er Send a personal message to shop99er  Goto the website of shop99er     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:39 pm   Permalink

99 cents at a thrift. Looks like it was never played before. One I didn’t have.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:39 pm   Permalink

99 cents at a thrift. Looks like it was never played before. One I didn’t have.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 6:56 pm   Permalink

Today was a good day:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation