FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts How much space BEHIND the bar?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
How much space BEHIND the bar?
chase_317
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-25 10:31 am   Permalink

I'm finally putting the bar down in the basement, but I am having some trouble with the placement. How much space do I need BEHIND the bar? The back wall will not have any shelves, etc.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed many times before. I'm new here.

Thanks!

View Profile of chase_317 Send a personal message to chase_317      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 10:45 am   Permalink

You may want to rethink the back wall not having shelves on the wall behind the bar. That's usually where people put their "Top Shelf" spirits. It doesn't have to be very wide, just wide enough for fatter bottles, like Pusser's and such.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 10:54 am   Permalink

That's a vague question really. Too many factors to consider. You have to have room to work and only you know what that will entail. You gotta have room for a garbage can, a place to mix, a floor you can spill on and clean up, room to bend over and get things under the bar or in cabinets, etc. That's probably your best answer. Room enough for you to bend over and get things out comfortably without hitting anything behind you.

There are online resources for planning a bar area, but they are for professional bars and not many of us need all they are required to have.

Think about what you will be doing and managing everything back there including the clean up afterwards.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 11:00 am   Permalink

legally a bar must have at least three feet of clearance behind it for employees to pass through..this applies to all public bars. as for home bars, depends on how much space you need to comfortably operate.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 11:11 am   Permalink

this suggestion may sound a bit daft at first, but i know that i have run across plans for building home bars in old 'popular science' and such type publications. you might be able to run something like that down in your public library... perhaps maybe.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chase_317
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-25 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-25 10:45, Haole'akamai wrote:
You may want to rethink the back wall not having shelves on the wall behind the bar. That's usually where people put their "Top Shelf" spirits. It doesn't have to be very wide, just wide enough for fatter bottles, like Pusser's and such.

The reason there are no shelves protruding from the rear wall is that there are built-in shelves already on the side wall. I really need a picture of the space.

[ This Message was edited by: chase_317 2007-06-25 11:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: chase_317 2007-06-25 11:20 ]

View Profile of chase_317 Send a personal message to chase_317      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 11:29 am   Permalink

Righty-o, then I'm jumping on the Swanky bandwagon an seconding everything he said.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-25 11:33 am   Permalink

You need to look at all of the stuff you have and want behind the bar.
Now think about where you want to put all that stuff.
Then make shelves for TWICE that amount of stuff, you will need it.
They only need to be 4 inches wide. Maybe 8 inches for two bottles deep.
You can never have enough shelves in a bar.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:06 pm   Permalink

Also think of the entrance/egress paths from the main room to behind the bar. You, and possibly drunken guests, will be making this trip often, often with bottles/glassware in your hands. You want enough room so you don't feel squeezed, or your hips and elbows don't bump or sweep any glassware to the floor.

Another consideration is the available vertical space/path between your head and the ceiling/decorative elements - the corridor your head travels in must remain open. Nothing looks sillier, than a bartender repeatedly bumping his head into a pufferfish light.

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2007-06-25 12:06 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:30 pm   Permalink

All that said, I think I had about 3-4 feet behind my last bar. The width of a door and frame. That was fine.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-25 10:54, Swanky wrote:...Room enough for you to bend over and get things out comfortably without hitting anything behind you...

Enough room to bend over and get something off of the bottom shelf/floor and then add about 6 - 8 inches. I have moved my bar forward almost 16 inches since I placed it it the lounge. That works for me because mine is not built in. Yours is a build in so get it right the first time. It is better to have a bit too much space than too little.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:46 pm   Permalink

I agree with Chip and Andy. Better to have extra space than not enough. Especially since it's a build in. Also, I've had some difficulty finding enough space to keep all my bottles. I got a liquor cabinet, and some shelves under my bar, and I still haven't got enough. Adding more shelves than you think you'll need is a good idea. Your liquor collection might grow pretty fast!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Martiki-bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 4:01 pm   Permalink

The short answer is enough space to be able to bend down and grab stuff comfortably.

Here's the info I use when designing a floor plan for a client.

The absolute minimum space allowance behind a bar should be 30", 36" (3 feet) being the commercial minimum. If a mini fridge or under cabinet doors will be installed, be sure to allow for the door swing. If a wall bar (back bar) will be installed, add a minimum of 6" to your dimension (36" total residential, 42" commercial) to allow for easy access and minimal breakage (via elbow swing).

I personally see no problem with not having a back bar, but if you're planning on doing lots of mixing at parties, a simple 6-8" shelf where you can put a single row of bottles ready for grabbing will really help keep things flowing!

Martiki-bird (Gina)

View Profile of Martiki-bird Send a personal message to Martiki-bird  Email Martiki-bird Goto the website of Martiki-bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 4:25 pm   Permalink

40 inches! (that way, if a larger component like meself, would like to tend the bar, they won't feel so closed in)

Nuff said.

Welcome to TC

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 4:52 pm   Permalink

How big is your waist? Then add 10 inches !!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation