FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts *Updates* Shipwreck Kelly & Tina's Backyard project.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
*Updates* Shipwreck Kelly & Tina's Backyard project.
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 08:40 am   Permalink

That's a beautiful backyard setting! The surfboard bar looks awesome, nice work! We've got a "tiki-fication" project going on in our back yard as well, around a pool that was put in earlier this year. Where did you get the ringed "curtain" that's next to the paddle in that one photo? That's a neat way to create some separation without blocking the view.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-10 2:15 pm   Permalink

I started a Moai that I scaled up from a picture of the one in front of Trader Vics Outrigger.
Here is the wood and metal skeleton-

Just waiting for the stucco...

And after the first coat-

I still have to finish the ears, and the back. Then an all-over finish coat!

Kelly

[ This Message was edited by: Kewlava 2009-06-10 14:17 ]

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 4:40 pm   Permalink

Awesome Moai! Beautiful backyard.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 4:51 pm   Permalink

Very nice!!! I like seeing what I wish I could do...

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-10 5:23 pm   Permalink

Great job Kewlava!
btw--where did you pick up those birds? They're cool and definitely look like the Enchanted Tiki Room birds.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-10 6:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks MP, Beachbum Scott, and Mr Pupu.
I just now finished the back and ears. I'll let it sit for a couple days before I add the faux stone paintjob. I'll post finished pix then.

The birds I created. The red parrot was a party store parrot that I added better eye and cheek areas to, as well as new tail feathers. The toucan was a halloween crow that I fashioned a bill for, and added colorful areas with fun fur, and new eyes.
The perches I made from split bamboo, twine and hotmelt glue. The inspiration came from someone else on this board who made some cool Tiki Room birds for his own pad and named them Sven and Olie!

Okay- Next day -
Today, I did the pigment coat, aged & finished it off. I will probably plant a vine to creep all over the short wall behind the Moai.

More updates to come!

Kelly

[ This Message was edited by: Kewlava 2009-06-11 14:26 ]

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-11 8:40 pm   Permalink

Here it is torched up at nite!

Kelly

Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-11 9:08 pm   Permalink

That is so kewl!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-11 9:16 pm   Permalink

Very nice . just love it .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-11 9:46 pm   Permalink

That moai turned out great! You did a really nice job on it.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-11 11:37 pm   Permalink

It looks like you've had a lot of fun making that big maoi head, I can imagine it's awesome at night! Hide a speaker behind it playing the Hawaiian War Chant and it'd be perfect!

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-12 10:04 am   Permalink

Thanks one and all!

It was a fun project, but my hands are a wreck from the metal mesh and the stucco.
I already have a sound system out on the lanai, the speakers are at each end of the house, and they're the small ones you see on restaurant patios and such. The amp and CD player I keep in a cabinet I built.
Here it is closed.......................................... And here is the hardware

I'd like to hide some radio controlled "rock speakers" out there though, but since I got the outdoor ones I have at goodwill for $10.00, I kinda spoiled myself.

I'll post more pics of the whole thing later- since the bar is no longer self-serve, but a service bar, and there have been many other changes including a 14" floatlight and tin signs.

Kelly

KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-13 3:12 pm   Permalink

Way to go, Kelly!

That Moai is FANTASTIC!

And that night shot with the torches is just soooooo koolamundo!!!

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabemaita

Posted: 2009-08-13 9:17 pm   Permalink

that tucan is amazing , i cant believe that was ever a raven

View Profile of gabemaita Send a personal message to gabemaita  Email gabemaita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-25 2:58 pm   Permalink

I spent a few hours and ripped this guy out of two, 2 1/2 foot palm logs pinned together with re-bar. He's a little over five feet tall. It's the first time I used an oscillating saw to carve bamboo. It works like chiseling, but there's no hammering!

I'll do more refining, and something with the bottom, but he's done enuf to show.

[ This Message was edited by: kewlava 2010-07-04 07:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation