FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Phil's Polynesian Village light and sign
Tiki Phil's Polynesian Village light and sign
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 8:16 pm   Permalink

A few years back I purchased a light from the parking lot of Walt Disney World's Polynesian Village. I bought it from http://www.mousesurplus.com. Disney updated the Polynesian and put in all new lights, so mousesurplus sold the old ones. These are the pictures from mousesurplus:

And here's an old photo I found showing one of the lights in the parking lot:

I had to rewire it. It had very old wiring, some transformers and a bizare lightbulb in it that I never saw before. I made a pole for it out of four treated 2x4s. Here's a picture of it in my back yard:

I really like the sign on the lightpole that you can see in the parking lot picture above. The one above has an L on it. The lights all have letters on them to help you remember where you parked. I wanted my sign to have more then just a letter on it. I used this picture for inspiration:

Using this picture I created this sketch that I then took to Kinkos to have printed on large paper. I changed the wording to Tiki Phil's which is what everyone calls my back yard.

I traced it onto some wood I bought at Home Depot and cut it out:

Five months of carving in my freetime and I had this:

I painted it and attached it to my light. Here's the finished project:

[ This Message was edited by: TikiPhil 2007-06-30 09:44 ]

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 8:20 pm   Permalink

That's just fantastic, Phil. Well done.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 9:11 pm   Permalink

Good Job!
5 months of carving...Wow!
Now that's an item you can be proud of!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 10:47 pm   Permalink

That's some nice carving and a great idea! You could go into business refurbishing old signs and posts... just have to speed up the process a bit.

Really though, you should be proud of what you did, and the extra time shows in the end result!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-26 05:57 am   Permalink

Wow....very kewl. When are you installing the rides? I got E tickets. ")

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 06:38 am   Permalink

Superb!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 06:59 am   Permalink

That rehab of the light with your "new" sign is great.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 10:32 am   Permalink

Every once in a while something really great pops up on Tiki Central and reminds me why I like this stuff so much. Your lamp post and sign fall into that category. Excellent job, Thank you.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 11:51 am   Permalink

five months!! you could have had pariarts paul laser cut that for you in 5 minutes!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 12:01 pm   Permalink

Very nice! Congrats!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-30 09:58 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for all the compliments. Yes, I am very proud of it. I have never carved before and I only worked on it in my free time, an hour or so at a time, that is why it took so long.

Yea I know I could have had Pariarts, or somone else, laser cut it for me. Or I could have used a router. But I wanted the satisfaction of doing it by hand, by myself. Also, the original Polynesian Village signs were all made by Oceanic Arts
www.tikiroom.com/oa/oa23.htm in the late 60s and I doubt they used a laser cutter

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-01 12:38 pm   Permalink

FANTASTIC work Phil. Looks exceptional.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-01 1:44 pm   Permalink

I love it! It looks incredible! Great nostalgic piece! Great job!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation