FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Navy Grog, a component study in Mixology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Navy Grog, a component study in Mixology
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 06, 2007
Posts: 567
From: Palm Springs
Posted: 2010-10-02 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-26 11:29, Scottes wrote:
If we break this down a little...
...Limes have been done, as you mentioned.
...Different club sodas should have very little effect.
...The demerara is specified.
...Grapefruit is grapefruit (is it?)

So what we have to compare is the White & Dark rums.

If we limit to PR White - or close - again this should have very little effect in this drink. There's so many other strong flavors going on that I suspect most whites would disappear.


So as a component study, we have a few dark Jamaicans to compare. If this is it, I would pick a simpler drink, maybe one without a demerara.


I'm not trying to be a spoil-sport, honestly. If you know there's a noticeable difference between 2 formulas please let me know what I'm missing.




Why is it that I always add a quarter shot of pimento dram. Somehow, I feel this is a necessary ingredient. Am I missing something or did I just make this up? Personally, I feel the pimento is necessary to capture the essence of a TV Navy Grog, with apologies of course to Phil Spector.
_________________
Hola versus the Aloha Monster


 
View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 01, 2002
Posts: 799
Posted: 2010-10-03 07:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-02 14:37, telescopes wrote:

Why is it that I always add a quarter shot of pimento dram. Somehow, I feel this is a necessary ingredient. Am I missing something or did I just make this up? Personally, I feel the pimento is necessary to capture the essence of a TV Navy Grog, with apologies of course to Phil Spector.


Agreed. I made the Navy Grog recipe in Grog Log Remixed a couple of weeks ago, and hated it...until I added a little pimento.
_________________

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

 View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 18, 2010
Posts: 359
From: Miami
Posted: 2010-10-05 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-26 11:29, Scottes wrote:
If we break this down a little...
...Limes have been done, as you mentioned.
...Different club sodas should have very little effect.
...The demerara is specified.
...Grapefruit is grapefruit (is it?)



--snip--

I don't think "grapefruit is grapefruit." Just in the "supermarket/carton" stuff there is a good spectrum of flavors, especially if you consider the full gamut running from white to pink to "ruby" red grapefruits. If you want to go crazy and start pondering all the heirloom varietals and the "squeezed fresh off the tree" possibilities, you'd never emerge from the fog of research.

Just a thought.
_________________
-J.


 
View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 368
From: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Posted: 2010-10-05 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-05 14:49, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-06-26 11:29, Scottes wrote:
If we break this down a little...
...Limes have been done, as you mentioned.
...Different club sodas should have very little effect.
...The demerara is specified.
...Grapefruit is grapefruit (is it?)



--snip--

I don't think "grapefruit is grapefruit." Just in the "supermarket/carton" stuff there is a good spectrum of flavors, especially if you consider the full gamut running from white to pink to "ruby" red grapefruits. If you want to go crazy and start pondering all the heirloom varietals and the "squeezed fresh off the tree" possibilities, you'd never emerge from the fog of research.

Just a thought.




IMHO white grapefruit juice is what you want-it has the 'bite' (acidity & bitterness) that's called for. Pink is OK, if it's all you can find. The Ruby Red stuff is too sweet-it's the grapefruit for folks who don't like grapefruit.


 
View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 07, 2010
Posts: 429
From: Michigan
Posted: 2010-10-06 10:47 pm   Permalink

I'd like to go into the honey aspects. I know that clover honey will have a taste much different from your typical 'honeybear" purchase. Has anyone experimented with different honey in their drinks?
_________________
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." - B. Banzai

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP


 
View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 18, 2010
Posts: 359
From: Miami
Posted: 2010-10-08 06:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

IMHO white grapefruit juice is what you want-it has the 'bite' (acidity & bitterness) that's called for. Pink is OK, if it's all you can find. The Ruby Red stuff is too sweet-it's the grapefruit for folks who don't like grapefruit.



But even within the "white" grapefruit there are varietals (such as Duncan, Marsh, Paradise & Triumph, for example) that can be played with.

Ditto the honey. (For the record, my go-to cocktail honey is "orange blossom" honey.)

In fact, you could, if you were "foodie" enough, go nuts experimenting with the combinations.

_________________
-J.


 
View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 06, 2007
Posts: 567
From: Palm Springs
Posted: 2011-02-09 8:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-08 06:27, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

IMHO white grapefruit juice is what you want-it has the 'bite' (acidity & bitterness) that's called for. Pink is OK, if it's all you can find. The Ruby Red stuff is too sweet-it's the grapefruit for folks who don't like grapefruit.



But even within the "white" grapefruit there are varietals (such as Duncan, Marsh, Paradise & Triumph, for example) that can be played with.

Ditto the honey. (For the record, my go-to cocktail honey is "orange blossom" honey.)

In fact, you could, if you were "foodie" enough, go nuts experimenting with the combinations.





I am going to go on the record and speak up for the maligned red grapefruit. My own tree is a red grapefruit. I don't know the variety - but wow, is it ever good. I have two white grapefruit trees on either side of my property and they drop fruit into my lawn all of the time. So, I have something to compare my red to.

Perhaps because I am used to fresh grapefruit I experience a different taste from the red than others might get.

I will add this, Berry needs to add allspice dram to the Navy Grog recipe. It is essential.


 
View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 06, 2007
Posts: 567
From: Palm Springs
Posted: 2011-02-10 9:45 pm   Permalink

As an aside question - what came first, the Navy Grog with spicy flavors such as pimento dram or .... the zombie?

I thought about adding pernod, some bitters to my Navy grog and then I realized, holy tiki, I'd have a zombie.
_________________
Hola versus the Aloha Monster


 
View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 23, 2011
Posts: 1220
From: Tampa Bay
Posted: 2011-02-10 10:24 pm   Permalink

I'll see your DtB zombie, throw in a buckload of cinnamon syrup, and turn it into a jet pilot!

(it's alchemy, i tells ya)


 
View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 17, 2003
Posts: 1279
From: Andover, England
Posted: 2011-02-11 04:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-03 07:37, MrBaliHai wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-02 14:37, telescopes wrote:

Why is it that I always add a quarter shot of pimento dram. Somehow, I feel this is a necessary ingredient. Am I missing something or did I just make this up? Personally, I feel the pimento is necessary to capture the essence of a TV Navy Grog, with apologies of course to Phil Spector.


Agreed. I made the Navy Grog recipe in Grog Log Remixed a couple of weeks ago, and hated it...until I added a little pimento.




I totally agree with this. I always add Pimento Dram to my Navy Grog's. It just doesn't taste right otherwise.
_________________


 
View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 06, 2007
Posts: 567
From: Palm Springs
Posted: 2011-02-11 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-11 04:05, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-03 07:37, MrBaliHai wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-02 14:37, telescopes wrote:

Why is it that I always add a quarter shot of pimento dram. Somehow, I feel this is a necessary ingredient. Am I missing something or did I just make this up? Personally, I feel the pimento is necessary to capture the essence of a TV Navy Grog, with apologies of course to Phil Spector.


Agreed. I made the Navy Grog recipe in Grog Log Remixed a couple of weeks ago, and hated it...until I added a little pimento.




I totally agree with this. I always add Pimento Dram to my Navy Grog's. It just doesn't taste right otherwise.




Then let's agree right here that all "official" recipes for Navy Grog must include Pimento Dram. It will go a long way in clarifying what it was you drank when you say "Navy Grog".


 
View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 1286
From: Dog Patch - San Diego
Posted: 2011-02-11 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Then let's agree right here that all "official" recipes for Navy Grog must include Pimento Dram. It will go a long way in clarifying what it was you drank when you say "Navy Grog".



No, I'd say the original recipe from Don the Beachcomber apparently did not have pimento dram, and Trader Vic improved upon it by adding it.
_________________
"I am Lono!" -- Hunter S. Thompson


 
View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 06, 2007
Posts: 567
From: Palm Springs
Posted: 2011-02-11 9:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-11 14:47, arriano wrote:
Quote:

Then let's agree right here that all "official" recipes for Navy Grog must include Pimento Dram. It will go a long way in clarifying what it was you drank when you say "Navy Grog".



No, I'd say the original recipe from Don the Beachcomber apparently did not have pimento dram, and Trader Vic improved upon it by adding it.




This may be true - But, the Trader Vic Version of the Mai Tai is the one we now remember and not the DTB one.


 
View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 06, 2007
Posts: 567
From: Palm Springs
Posted: 2011-04-01 3:38 pm   Permalink

I recently made a Navy Grog using the following:

1 oz Clement VSOP
1 oz 15 year El Dorado
1 oz Appleton 21

I subbed 1 oz of Agave Nectar for honey mix and added 1/4 oz of St Elizabeth Pimento.

My Navy Grog became a 100 dollar Navy Grog. Smooth. It soared to new heights.
_________________
Hola versus the Aloha Monster


 
View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 23, 2011
Posts: 1220
From: Tampa Bay
Posted: 2011-05-29 11:11 am   Permalink

so there seem to be two slight variations in the reported Trader Vic navy grogs:

one has honey, has club soda, and uses light PR, dark, and demerara rums;

the other uses rock candy syrup, has no soda, and uses light PR, amber/gold, and demerara rums.

each includes lime and grapefruit juices.

is there any consensus as to which of these are authentic? and, which do you prefer?


 
View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation