FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lemon Hart Crisis (Crisis Averted!--at least for me)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Lemon Hart Crisis (Crisis Averted!--at least for me)
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-08 10:10 am   Permalink

I think Hurricane Hayward posted here earlier that, on his tip, the Mai-Kai bought up everything they could from their distributor.

Martin Cate told me personally that he had, as of the 2014 Hukilau in June, acquired a number of cases of LH151 and that he was on the search for a replacement for when his LH151 supply is exhausted.

In all cases, this was causing quite a bit of heartburn all around.

Hope that helps.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 10:18 am   Permalink

Interesting. It seems to me that bars/restaurants have three options:

1. Temporarily discontinue serving cocktails that call for LH151

2. Use a replacement rum

3. Add a replacement cocktail to the menu and call it something slightly different (ie, "Zombie in Crisis")

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-08 10:47 am   Permalink

I like #3! How about:

"Zombie In Desperation"

"Zombie In Transition"

"Transgender Zombie"

"Zombie Without Hart"

"Zombie With Stake Through The Hart"

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 1:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-08 10:47, AceExplorer wrote:
I like #3! How about:

"Zombie In Desperation"

"Zombie In Transition"

"Transgender Zombie"

"Zombie Without Hart"

"Zombie With Stake Through The Hart"

Ha! Hart-less Zombie

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-08 09:55, arriano wrote:
I spoke with Tommy the bar manager at Bali Hai last night. He expressed his concern about LH 151, and didn't seem to know yet what they would do in place of it once the last of their cases are used up. And when I was at the Cat Eye Club (which has recently introduced a tiki cocktail menu) a couple of weeks ago and told them about LH151 disappearing for a year, the bartenders were kind of shocked and didn't know about it. They too weren't sure what they'd do regarding the 2-3 drinks they make that include it.

Any one know what the Mai Kai, Tonga Hut, etc. plan to do?

I asked the same question to our bartender at Trader Sam's last week. He had not heard that production had indefinitely stopped.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-08 14:04, Loki-Tiki wrote:
I asked the same question to our bartender at Trader Sam's last week. He had not heard that production had indefinitely stopped.

Ahhh must've been one of the new guys. =\

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-12 06:53 am   Permalink

File this under "For What It's Worth"

Got to catch up with Jeff Berry at the Hukilau 2014 and he suggested that, IN SOME RECIPES -- obviously not all -- we can get away with what he called "the switcheroo."

Basically, if a given recipe calls for equal amounts of both a gold rum AND LH151, you can sub out ED5 and Bacardí 151. Not flawless but (to my palate) perfectly delightful and a way to stretch our dwindling supplies of LH151. For example, in the "Spievak" Zombie.

YMMV.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2014-07-12 06:55 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-15 7:42 pm   Permalink

I spoke with one of the bartenders at Tonga Hut, and they stopped using LH151 after the last crisis. Their belief is that this latest iteration of Lemon Hart isn't the original flavor anyway, so why bother. They've reformulated their drinks with Goslings 151.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 08:59 am   Permalink

I beg to differ.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 10:51 am   Permalink

That makes no sense. Because the new label may be slightly different from the old label -- and nobody is going to claim, I don't think, that it's any more than slightly different -- they'll just use an entirely different rum instead?

Silly.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-15 19:42, KrakenHunterSteve wrote:
I spoke with one of the bartenders at Tonga Hut...They've reformulated their drinks with Goslings 151.

I was recently at Trader Sam's and we have another switch to Gosling's 151 as well. Not official yet but that's the current push for once the LH151 supply runs out. I think I might have to buy a bottle to try it myself. I think that Gosling's might be the popular replacement.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-17 11:36 am   Permalink

I have also been reading here about Goslings 151 and found it online at Total Wine for $25.99.

I do not think it would be a total sub for LH151, but at least it is an alternative. It will be a while before I pick up a bottle (I just re-stocked 6 or 7 of what I ran low on, a number of which were 1.75 liter bottles) and I will post some of my thoughts and impressions here.

The whole "Goslings vs Lemon Hart" thing will provide me with some good reasons to invite friends over for a rum tasting.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 11:36, AceExplorer wrote:
I do not think it would be a total sub for LH151, but at least it is an alternative.

Right, well that's the thing - never to be considered a replacement, but a workable alternative. The winning quality is that its a dark 151. You just can't (for the most part) replace Lemon Hart with the clear or amber overproof's, particularly Bacardi or Wray & Nephew.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 2:44 pm   Permalink

Just when the world is running out of LH151, it comes back in to stock in the UK!

Email I received:

Link:
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16254.aspx

That's the price it has been since it was reintroduced (£45 / $76 ~ which is overly expensive for an overproof) but I paid the cost as I had to try some following the hiatus.

When I recently stocked up I got mine from ma-wine.com for £28 / $49 (which is a good price for any overproof).

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 3:02 pm   Permalink

I believe I found the last bottle of LH 151 in Kalamazoo. Paid $35

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation