FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving MBL's Tiki Adventure
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
MBL's Tiki Adventure
MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-27 5:27 pm   Permalink

Ok..well not much of an adventure, but here is my first Tiki. I couldn't have done anything without Gman...So BIG THANKS to him. The forum is lucky to have such a fine and kind carver. I haven't had too much time to work on my Tiki..so it is not finished but here is what I have.

Hope its not too disappointing to my mentor.
Tim
MBL

View Profile of MBL Send a personal message to MBL  Email MBL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 5:54 pm   Permalink

Right on Tim! He's looking good - time for a solid 60 to 100 grit hand-sand. Did you pick a stain yet? We'll get together for another day of carving and BoarBQ soon. I enjoyed it. Nice uvula dude!!!

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 6:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-27 17:54, GMAN wrote:
Nice uvula dude!!!

-G

i'm pretty sure i've never read those words before! nice first tiki, mbl. you definitely have a good mentor. keep pluggin' away and posting your progress.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 6:24 pm   Permalink

First of all WELCOME to Tiki Central (lovingly called "TC"). Really glad to have you on board. Don't let that GMAN Scare you, he's just a beginner too and I'm sure he won't be disappointed with your offering. Your tiki looks strongly influenced by the man himself so he HAS to Like it, I Do and I think you are doing Great if that's just your First one? Just don't quit until you have done at least a hundred!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 6:34 pm   Permalink

Welcome on the boards. I've heard you've been working on a tiki. Nice first tiki sand it up and start carving a second... we'll be waiting.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-28 03:57 am   Permalink

Yeah..I know I really need to get this guy sanded down and stained...I have just been swamped recently. I haven't decided on a stain..but I thought I'd leave the teeth light colored...and make the eyes like an orangey color..the do the rest pretty dark...any thoughts?

I have been wanting to rough out another Tiki ala Gman...but I have to get some equipment squared away...and I need some smaller chisels too.

Tim
MBL

View Profile of MBL Send a personal message to MBL  Email MBL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 7:08 pm   Permalink

Nice first tiki! Finish him, grab another log , and carve another.

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-17 4:35 pm   Permalink

OK...So I started on another Tiki....you know you can see Gman in my carving....If it weren't for him I'd be nowhere. Take a look at what I have so far.

I had some trouble with the debarking...and I know I need to do a bunch of finish work..but had I been carving for a second longer in the FLA heat...I'd still be in the back yard passed out.
TIm
MBL

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 4:48 pm   Permalink

I can definitely see the GMAN style in your carving!! Looking good man! Keep it up.

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 4:52 pm   Permalink

Keep up the good work! I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I kinda like how the face goes from very defined and clean in the front to just kinda disappearing into the bark at the back of the eyes. Very organic looking.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 5:40 pm   Permalink

You wild man! Did you have fun, or are you still too light-headed to know?

G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-17 6:25 pm   Permalink

Well it wasn't intentional really but I did focus more on the front and I see what you are saying....I kinda like the effect it gets. I think I need to go deeper...

Gman: yeah I had some fun out there but MAN its hot! I found that the teeth are gonna take a chisel instead of the chainsaw...since it just won't fit...I might have made the mouth too small.
Tim
MBL

MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-19 3:27 pm   Permalink

Ok so here's another update...the cuts are deeper and more defined. At the suggestion of Tiki Sage GMAN...I took the bark off. Since I think this Tiki may live inside..we don't need any critters running around.

I plan on hitting the cuts with a torch to give them a burnt look..then stain everything but the teeth an amber color...leave the teeth natural and then clear it.

Let me know what you think.

Tim
MBL

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-19 3:34 pm   Permalink

So I guess it all worked correctly? Good. Nice job! Good talking to you again...we'll meet up again soon and make some dust-n-chips.

-G

MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-19 3:41 pm   Permalink

Well...I removed much of the bark on the front using a screwdriver and the mallet...but on the back I used the chainsaw to pull off the bark.....It worked nicely but I can tell how the chain could really snag the details on the front if you are not careful.

Yes...I am looking forward to the next time we can have a carving session... perhaps do something more adventurous?
Thanks for all the help last night...your suggestions have been invaluable.
Tim
MBL

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation