FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music tikiyaki orchestra - stereoexotique - now available for order !!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
tikiyaki orchestra - stereoexotique - now available for order !!!
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 1:33 pm   Permalink

CD sounds great.
Love the schwag.

Zazz.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-05 2:41 pm   Permalink

Many mahalos folks, your kind words mean alot.

So...what color umbrellas did you guys get ?

Jim

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 5:29 pm   Permalink

Blue.

Great, great album. Fantastic arrangements and the mix is right on the money.

Put me down for the 2nd album too!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-07 10:46 am   Permalink

From the mastermind of Jim Bacchi, 'Stereoexotique' is something very, very special, highly significant, and in all ways goes beyond expectations.

Performed by Jim Bacchi with four songs featuring Gary Brandin on Hawaiian Lap Steel, and containing 12 instrumental tracks of music (the first being a brief intro of windchimes, waves, jungle noises and exciting native percussion), 'Stereo Exotique' is skillfully arranged and thought out, containing lots of percussion, vibes, piano, organ, guitar, bass, and lap steel. When present, the jungle noises and sound effects (e.g., bird calls, waves) are kept to a minimum and in the background, lending atmosphere without being obtrusive. The music is very relaxing, but is never dull nor unentertaining; basically, like a lot of instrumental Exotica and Lounge music, relaxingly energetic or vice versa.

Though it is clear that Jim has respect for, knowledge of, and was inspired by the Exotica and Lounge music of old, when listening to 'Stereo Exotique', one will recognise similarities of early Friends Of Dean Martinez, Combustible Edison, and Tipsy. But unlike The Friends Of Dean Martinez, the music isn't dark and moody; unlike Combustible Edison, the music doesn't have vocals and doesn't sound like it should be accompanying a Saturday morning kid's show or something off Nickelodeon; unlike Tipsy in that it doesn't have repetitious loops. And, with the exception of a couple songs that have a more contemporary flair/sound quality to them, these recordings could've easily come out as far back as the early 1970s.

The sound quality itself is crystal clear, vibrant, and has excellent clarity; it'll sound good on any set of speakers. The CD art (Brad Parker) and packaging is another plus and worth having in your hands.

Call it Neo-Exotica or Neo-Lounge, do yourself a favour, folks, and get the CD. Since 'Cocktails With Joey' by Joey Altruda, I've been waiting for somebody else to do it right for a long time, and finally someone has.

Mahalo, Tikiyaki!!!

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-07-07 23:52 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-07 12:52 pm   Permalink

Nice review Terence!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2007-07-07 12:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2007-07-07 12:53 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-07 3:29 pm   Permalink

Terence...Big Mahalos.

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm using quotes from your reviews here when I send messages out via myspace and email...Being that there are only a few magazines who would actually review such a record, I'd like to quote the people I consider "experts" in Tiki...ie: Tiki Centralites.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-07 6:42 pm   Permalink

OMG...I am breathless.....just awesome music and the artwork and schwag is absolutely brilliant. I have the pink umbrella. My suv is in the bodyshop for a few weeks and I miss my Bose stereo....the only thing that is going to save me from the insanity of driving a rental is your CD....bless you!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 12:41 am   Permalink

On a gloomy & gray rainy season afternoon in the Japanese boondocks , a ray of sunshine arrived in the form of The Tiki Orchestra CD , which I'm listening to now . Terence's review pretty much sums up my own impressions . Yass ...upbeat & bouncy much of the time ; percussive but not overly so ; surfy electric guitar twangs ; Lyman-esque vibetones send a shiver up my spine ...Dig the organ background sounds which add another dimension ...21st century exotic vibe which pays homage to the exotica of the 50's ...Superstuff...and I got a chartreuse green umbrella !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-09 9:21 pm   Permalink

Listened to it straight for 3 hours on my way to work and 3 hours on my way home today. I loveitloveitloveit, but am partial to track 8 & 11.

I can use the last track on repeat to help me here in Sacramento....if I turn it to just the right volume and open my shudders up, it will feel like the canyon is the ocean......THANKS

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-10 08:38 am   Permalink

LOL...I knew SOMEONE would find a use for 4 minutes of Ocean sounds

I figured it would be for falling asleep to. (if you're not asleep already, that is

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-10 10:02 pm   Permalink

That is too coincidental. I am a life-long insomniac. About 10 years ago I tried out a sound machine on the "ocean" setting and it has been such a help to me. I wore out my original sound machine, so got a second one but the ocean setting has an annoying seagull squawking in it.....not conducive to a relaxing sleep...so I use the white noise...not as much fun.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BUY THIS CD....IT IS AWESOME.

I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 07:30 am   Permalink

Excellent CD! I received mine yesterday and checked it out right away. It is very impressive! The percussion work alone is worth the price of admission. If you haven't already, you need to order this CD right away!

It will go into rotation on Jet Set Planet starting next week, along with the new CDs by Drasnin and Waitiki (both of which have been getting air play).

~glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 4:10 pm   Permalink

I got pink and I'm a little disappointed because I specifically asked for a paisley tan and orange.
Oh wait, those were my Vans.

Yeah, pink.
Patrick Starr.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-16 07:03 am   Permalink

Echoing the many rave reviews above...this is great stuff. Well done!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitor
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-16 10:37 am   Permalink

I just received my copy late last week. Outstanding! This is exotica in it's purest form. Well done, Jim!

View Profile of tikitor Send a personal message to tikitor  Goto the website of tikitor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation