FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » tikiyaki orchestra - stereoexotique - now available for order !!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
tikiyaki orchestra - stereoexotique - now available for order !!!
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 1:02 pm   Permalink

I'm a great collector of Hawaiian and exotica LPs and have honestly not been much of a fan of most contemporary "tiki" music. However, this Tikiyaki Orchestra has hit the nail RIGHT on the head for me! It doesn't go off too far in the "surf" direction (which for me just isn't "tiki" anymore than Jimmy Buffett). It almost seems as if it could have been a "lost" recording of Arthur Lyman. I love it!

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 1:21 pm   Permalink

What else can be said about the effort Jim and end result of the Tikiyaki Orchestra's extraordinary first CD. I know I am it late in chiming in but heck this thread really needs to be bumped again. Mahalo for the magical tunes Jim! I can't wait to get my ears wrapped around the next T.O release.

P.S. I got a green umbrella and my coaster is one of my first TC decorations in my new office. SWEET!

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 3:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-28 13:21, Chongolio wrote:
What else can be said about the effort Jim and end result of the Tikiyaki Orchestra's extraordinary first CD. I know I am it late in chiming in but heck this thread really needs to be bumped again. Mahalo for the magical tunes Jim! I can't wait to get my ears wrapped around the next T.O release.

P.S. I got a green umbrella and my coaster is one of my first TC decorations in my new office. SWEET!

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Mahalo Chongolio !

You have been most helpful, with the podcast, and the download vs CD thread. Your Podcast led me to Squid, which led me to Digitiki, who is now playing keyboards for the LIVE version of the Tikiyaki Orchestra, soon to make their debut in the near future.

This thread can always use a bump

BTW...I will almost definitely be in Kauai in Mid August. Will you be around ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-28 15:02, tikiyaki wrote:

This thread can always use a bump

Amen to that! On Monday night (July 30), Tikiyaki is going to be in a set of exotica on Jet Set Planet that should be alot of fun. Here's the playlist excerpt (Artist/Song/Album/Label):

Al Caiola /Tiny Bubbles/King Guitar/UA

Arthur Lyman/Magic Island/The Legend of Pele/Hi-Fi Records

The Tikiyaki Orchestra/Road to Punalu’u/Stereoexotique/www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

The Beat of Tahiti/Small Drums/The Exotic Rhythms of Tahiti/Tiare Tahiti

Erotic Percussion/Rain Drops/Erotic Percussion/Omega

Waitiki/Tiki/Rendezvous in Okonkuluku/www.waitiki.com

Thanks again for such a terrific CD!

~glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 7:19 pm   Permalink

YEA !

Mahalo Glen !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-16 13:02, Kaiwaza wrote:
I'm a great collector of Hawaiian and exotica LPs and have honestly not been much of a fan of most contemporary "tiki" music. However, this Tikiyaki Orchestra has hit the nail RIGHT on the head for me! It doesn't go off too far in the "surf" direction (which for me just isn't "tiki" anymore than Jimmy Buffett). It almost seems as if it could have been a "lost" recording of Arthur Lyman. I love it!

I find this statement to be so true. Thank god for artists like Tikiyaki, who realize what classic "tiki" music is, and should be. I know this will piss off a few people, but original Tiki music was played by professional studio and jazz musicians, back in the day, not garage rock bands playing simple surf riffs and having 3-4 chords under their belts, or ex-punkers on the "punk rock retirement plan" of Rockbilly, surf, or quasi-lounge. Arthur Lyman, martin Denny, Les Baxter, and now Tikiyaki, were/are serious musicians with actual music theory in their heads, not amatuers or non professionals. Anyone playing this kind of music today should be supported completely, by actually coming to gigs, and buying the records.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 09:26 am   Permalink

Jim,
I know a guy that plays stand up bass, and wants to do Exotica,
should I hook you 2 up?
or do you already have somebody?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-30 09:26, bigtikidude wrote:
Jim,
should I hook you 2 up?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I do now. I pretty much have the complete orchestra. Look for an upcoming special, surprise debut gig. That's all I'm saying right now.

alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 10:34 am   Permalink

Jim

It was a pleasure talking music with you at TikiFarm . When you said you were putting together a live project I didn't realize you were so close to bringing it all together. Looking forward to hearing Stereoexotique beginning to end with a 10+ piece orchestra. Got any target dates?

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-30 10:34, alohacurrent wrote:
Jim

It was a pleasure talking music with you at TikiFarm . When you said you were putting together a live project I didn't realize you were so close to bringing it all together. Looking forward to hearing Stereoexotique beginning to end with a 10+ piece orchestra. Got any target dates?

Great meeting you too Brad !
It kinda came together faster than I expected, which is always nice. Fall is the target, and I'll have something more specific, date-wise next month.

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 9:14 pm   Permalink

OK somebody bettah record this show. Videotape even better Billy! I ain't playin' around... Who is gonna do it? With Jim's permission of course.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-30 10:12, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-30 09:26, bigtikidude wrote:
Jim,
should I hook you 2 up?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I do now. I pretty much have the complete orchestra. Look for an upcoming special, surprise debut gig. That's all I'm saying right now.

Have you had that bass player for awhile, or did you just get him?
I played the cd for the guy I know, and he memorized your e-mail addy, to contact you I think.

either way, can't wait to see ya play live.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2007-07-30 22:15 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 5:51 pm   Permalink

I've got to order me this CD! BTD sent me the link and I was playing the tunes, great stuff!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 6:01 pm   Permalink

When Jim gets back from Hawaii I'm going to order a bunch of CDs for friends of mine . Early Christmas presents . Hehe...

Jim , if I were near you , and you deemed my drumming / percussion work worthy , I'd LOVE to be your skins guy man - seriously !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-01 10:13 am   Permalink

Jim,
Great background music for parties and the office! Great driving music! Great relaxing/kicking back with a Mai-Tai music!!!

Someone mentioned buying some for Christmas gifts....Put me down for a dozen!!!

I'm glad to see so many people enjoying your music!!!

Does this mean the little 3 track sampler you put out will be a collector's item someday???

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation