Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Dark Rum
Dark Rum
sandiegodan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-02 5:13 pm   Permalink

As I continue to experiment with various Rums that the classic drink recipes call for, I have to ask - for the absolute, hands down, best tasting mai tai (regardless of whose recipe you are using), which dark rum do you guys recommend? Myers? Appleton 12 year reserve? Lemon Hart?

View Profile of sandiegodan Send a personal message to sandiegodan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 5:50 pm   Permalink

That's a fair question...but not a simple one. It's complex because really, the rum type does matter to the recipe, and version of the recipe. If you use a different rum, it tastes significantly different.

Rum use in Mai Tai's has been discussed many times in the past. Many of these threads are older, but still relevant. You might find them insightful.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22999&forum=10&hilite=mai%20tai%20rum
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=524&forum=10&hilite=mai%20tai%20rum
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=524&forum=10&hilite=mai%20tai%20rum
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1168&forum=10&vpost=46741&hilite=mai%20tai%20rum
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4538&forum=10&vpost=43413&hilite=mai%20tai%20rum
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1168&forum=10&vpost=50262&hilite=mai%20tai%20rum

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2007-07-02 17:51 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 8:22 pm   Permalink

I love Lemon Hart rum.
But I would not put it in a Mai tai.
I have never tried, but I think the vanilla
tones in Lemon Hart would mess up a Mai Tai.
Lemon Hart is best in Coke with lime I think.
Pepsi is too sweet.
Or in a Demerara dry float.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 03:43 am   Permalink

My reply will be no help to you but I think about this all the time. I still feel like I haven't found the perfect rum for the Mai Tai. (haven't tried any REALLY expensive rum) What I'm using 'til I find my perfect spirit is an ounce of Meyers' and an ounce of Pusser's.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 07:58 am   Permalink

I use Coruba. TV used to use that himself, but I believe gave up on it when Wray & Nephew began turning out rums that were of inconsistent quality. Hopefully, that is no longer an issue with W&N and that they have restored Coruba to the quality and character that TV knew and appreciated.

Myers is a bit harsh and, to me, does not belong in the same room with Coruba. Same island is OK through.

I wouldn't consider any Appleton Estate rum to be dark. They're all amber except for Appleton White. Appleton Reserve, I believe, is 6 year rum (610). Appleton Extra is 12 year rum (1218) and what I use as a topper for my Mai Tais (can't afford the 21 yr stuff and Master's Blend isn't available here yet).

As for Mai Tais, I use 1 oz of Mount Gay Eclipse, 1 oz of Coruba, and top it with 1 oz of Appleton Estate 12 yr.

Sometimes I swap out the Mount Gay with Wray & Nephew White Overproof for its 'kerosene' overtones. If I had unlimited resources, I'd probably use Appleton Estate Extra 12 Yr in place of the Mount Gay and top it with various favorites depending on the mood (Appleton Estate 21 yr, Ron Zacapa Centenario XO, etc.).

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 08:12 am   Permalink

I'm definately no expert on the subject, as I haven't tried nearly as many rums as other folk here. Appleton 12 yr is hands down my favorite rum for Mai Tais. I've used that along with either Appleton white, Cruzan white, or even Pyrat with some darn good results. If the wife has a hold of the ol' purse strings I'll use the Appleton Estate too, but the 12 yr is my favorite.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 09:15 am   Permalink

What do people think of Goslings in Mai Tais? I've never done it, but have been impressed with Goslings.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 09:17 am   Permalink

For that matter, what about the Cruzan Navy Dark? Too molasses for a topper?

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sandiegodan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-03 12:39 pm   Permalink

Really great Rum info from all of you....thanks. The search for the ultimate mai tai (that one can make at home), is a noble one indeed.

View Profile of sandiegodan Send a personal message to sandiegodan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-03 1:59 pm   Permalink

I've made Mai Tai's using Appleton Estates Extra and Gosling's Black Seal with very acceptable results and also with Coruba when I've not been able to get Saint James Hors D'Age to go with the Appleton. Since Beachbum Berry in his latest book called Appleton Estates Extra a "Dark" rum (as opposed to gold or amber) I guess I'm making some of my Mai Tai's with two dark rums and I don't mind a bit!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 2:28 pm   Permalink

The quest for the 'perfect' rums for a Mai-tai will consume many livers......

The 'original' rum is no longer available (well, if you happen to have 1,400 lying around...) so we have been left to pairing rums trying to recreate that lost 'original.'

I won't answer your question as to which ones exactly, but I will add a quote from Beachbum Berry's Sippin safari:

'...The 48 drinks on the menu called for 43 different rums by brand...' (from the chapter about the Mai-Kai)

So... you will just have to start mixing to find the pair you like the best.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-07-03 4:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-02 17:13, sandiegodan wrote:
...for the absolute, hands down, best tasting mai tai (regardless of whose recipe you are using), which dark rum do you guys recommend? Myers? Appleton 12 year reserve? Lemon Hart?

For the absolute, hands down, best tasting mai tai, I have to agree with the rum selections made here:

http://www.beachbumberry.com/100dollarmaitai/

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-03 16:43, Hakalugi wrote:
For the absolute, hands down, best tasting mai tai, I have to agree with the rum selections made here:

Amen and Hallelujah and all of those other wonderfully colorful exclamations!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 06:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-04 08:35, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-03 16:43, Hakalugi wrote:

Amen and Hallelujah and all of those other wonderfully colorful exclamations!

Ditto for me. If I don't have those two rums (Appleton Extra and St James Hors D'Age) on hand, I generally don't bother making a Mai-Tai. But that's just me. When I'm mixing for me, I'm mixing to make the best tasting drink I can possibly make. So if I don't have what I feel are the right ingredients for a particular drink, 9 times outta 10 I'll pass on it and make something else. And if I'm out of fresh citrus and can't make anything, I'll just reach for a beer.
But not just any ol' beer.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation