Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sippin' Safari "Review"
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sippin' Safari "Review"
stickyii

Posted: 2007-07-02 5:54 pm   Permalink

Kaiser Penguin has a "review" of Berry's new book. I've posted a few recipes as well!

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/sippin-safari-a-book-advertisement/

View Profile of stickyii Send a personal message to stickyii  Goto the website of stickyii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 9:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting this!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-04 02:37 am   Permalink

Even without all the new "Lost" drink recipes it is a fascinating exploration of the history associated with the great names of Tiki past and present I read the whole book in a single sitting . . . couldn't put it down! I also especially liked the breakdown and recommendations of ingredients although some of the sources are not readily available to the general public.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-05 12:19 pm   Permalink

Let's go sippin' now
Everybody's learning how
Come on and safari with me
(Come on and safari with...)

Early in the morning we'll be startin' out
Some honeys will be coming along
We're loading up our coolers
'Till they're bursting with ice
And headin' out singing our song

Come on baby wait and see
Yes I'm gonna take you sippin' with me
Come along baby wait and see
Let's go sippin' now
Everybody's learning how

A Kon Tini expedition
Going back in time
From one Tiki port to the next
At some point we'll be hitting the Forbidden Isle
To catch some tunes on Project X

Let's go sippin' now
Everybody's learning how

I really got my mojo
Workin' overtime
I'm not sure if I'm asleep or awake
But I'm whippin' up Zombies just as fast as I can
While I'm walkin' on coals I don't bake

Let's go sippin' now
Everybody's learning how

With me...
...Sippin' Safari
With me...
...Sippin' Safari
With me...
...Sippin' Safari
With me...
...Sippin' Safari
With me...
...Sippin' Safari
With me...
...Sippin' Safari
With me...
...Sippin' Safari

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 1:25 pm   Permalink

The revelation of the book for me was the 1934 Zombie recipe.

I have always urged people to try the Mai Kai's Zombie. It is really unique and quite different from any other Zombie recipes out there. Then I had this original Zombie recipe and I realized, my god!, the Mai Kai recipe is close! That Zombie I have there is not the exceptional recipe, it is the original.

Very incredible journey. I felt like I was on that voyage of discovery myself that day in the Yankee Clipper as The Bum unfurled his story and then handed out our ration of grog... I had sailed home to the Molokai Lounge...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 3:45 pm   Permalink

I'm gonna have to try that one soon.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 8:01 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to chime in. I couldn't be happier with Bum's new book. You should buy it.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-06 07:59 am   Permalink

I also would like to chime in, and say Sippin' Safari is an amazing book. I think the Bum has outdone himself. His forte has always been the rigorous research, and this book has it in spades. Plus the recipes are fantastic and art and photography are lovely.

My only complaints are the lack of the spiral binding and the smallish type on the recipes (I might just pick up an extra and have it rebound.) Otherwise, It's a beautiful book, great for bedside reading or barside mixing. if you don't have it pick up a copy. If you don't have his previous tomes, be sure to get those NOW--or pick up an extra for spillage! (Actually, to anyone out there who doesn't have the Grog Log already, GOOD GOD MAN what are you thinking?!)

[ This Message was edited by: Quince_at_Dannys 2007-07-06 08:00 ]

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-06 08:51 am   Permalink

I consider this book as my new bible pocket.
It's not a new cocktail book, it's THE book of the history of my favorite part of tiki culture : the bars and cocktails.
The stories are fantastic, and it's great to read about the early days of tiki bars, that is not so well known.

And I was the happiest man to have the pearl diver cocktail made by the Bum and listen to his stories while sipping it at the Hukilau.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-06 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-06 08:51, virani wrote:
And I was the happiest man to have the pearl diver cocktail made by the Bum and listen to his stories while sipping it at the Hukilau.

Yeah, you got the full-size drink while the rest of us had to make do with the itty bitty plastic sample cups! But, gee, I guess you deserved it, having flown half way around the world to be there and all.

And, about Sippin'... The Jim's Special wins the award for "Best Cocktail with Least Inspired Name". Love the drink. Not so fond of the name. Although I guess I would if I was Jim.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-07 6:38 pm   Permalink

GatorRob,
you will have to make it out to Tiki Ti and meet Jim, you will have more appreciation for the name then

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 10:03 pm   Permalink

I just got my copy of Sippin' Safari in the mail today from Amazon. The book is fantastic, except for some reason my copy is randomly missing pages 161-176. They haven't been torn out or anything- looks like a printing defect. Has anyone else had this problem with a copy from Amazon or is it just my lousy luck?

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-12 08:49 am   Permalink

Sorry to hear about that Fugu. Mine was fine but I ordered it directly when they were first anounced so I can't comment on the Amazonian affect.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-11 22:03, Fugu wrote:
I just got my copy of Sippin' Safari in the mail today from Amazon. The book is fantastic, except for some reason my copy is randomly missing pages 161-176. They haven't been torn out or anything- looks like a printing defect. Has anyone else had this problem with a copy from Amazon or is it just my lousy luck?

Mine is from Amazon and it has all its pages. But Amazon has a pretty good return policy so you should be able to either have it replaced or get your money back. Check the web site for details -- or the info that came in the box it was shipped in.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 2:44 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I just printed out all of the return stuff and the process was pretty easy. They are supposed to be shipping out me out a new copy, and since the original was defective the return shipping is free, so I can't complain too much. I was just so excited to finally have my copy, and now I have to wait again. Oh well...it's definitely well worth it!

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation