FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki event in Monterey????
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki event in Monterey????
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 10:28 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

40 dollar cover... 3 band and a DJ .... OUCH !!!!

Me thinks your in need of some sponsors and couple of SUGAR DADDYS.. you need to go to some events and write down cons and pros ...Your probably a good year away from turning out an event !!!!
'This is just for fun'
Having sex is fun
Throwing an event is hard work !!!
[/quote]

You're absolutely right! Throwing an event is hard work. But I've done it before. I am taking peoples advice and planning to not start out with something big though. I do need to network with people and get support before I can do anything. If I do anything, I'll start small and see how it goes. But I'm up for the task.

BTW: If you look at the economics of what I proposed you can see that it isn't that far off from the norm. Room $99, party $40. Total for two people $180. On a holiday weekend too. Compare that to Tiki Oasis where rooms are $160 and the charge is $20 for one day($40 divided in 2). Total for two is $200. My numbers are no great bargain, but they where arrived at with one phone call to the hotel and some quick, conservative math in my head. 50 people x $40 = $2,000 for 3 bands. I've got a really good surf band available for $300 (they owe me a favor), and a classic Hawaiian lap steel band available for about $700. That leaves me with $1,000 for a bigger act. Not a lot of $, but it would get me a decent S.F. area band. I wouldn't get people flying in to Monterey like they do for San Diego (that added another $150 RT for my participation last year), but anybody who can drive here easily might see that it wouldn't be a horrible deal.

There always are negotiations involved. Favors are called in. I could probably come up with a better price. Oasis has 5 1/2 (Tiki Tones/Calypso Cats are one, I believe) bands over two days, with two of the bands repeating themselves. How much more are you getting? Granted they have a big headliner with The Blue Hawaiians, but I could find something less well known but just as good.

There are the filler acts and such - Burlesque, ukulele comedians, etc. But that's easy to get.

Anyway, that's more info, and certainly fodder for arguing, than most care about. (Please, let's not mince details - I love Oasis and am just trying to bring a little piece of it here). I keep hearing people say they bring the party with them when they've got the right attitude. It may be too expensive a party for some, but not for others.

Hey, a round of golf at nearby Pebble Beach is around $400. Now THAT'S an expensive party.

I've got nothing good planned for the MLK weekend. Why not throw a good party? If I couldn't get enough people to come, I could take a loss and not cry about it. . . Not too much. ; >

Again, thank to all for the feedback. Keeps me grounded and humble.

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-09 9:06 pm   Permalink

We were in Santa Cruz and Monterey last week. We had a wonderful time in both places and brought home a box of tikis found in the antique stores there. We live a obsessed tiki life in Elk Grove, California of all places. See www.claytikis.com look under a serious hobby to see how obsessed.

We are starved for tiki events within easy driving distance. We love to go to Forbidden Island to shop at events and meet other tiki fans for that reason. It's 2.5 hours away from us. It was great when it opened and their events always go well.

We would love to attend an event in Monterey. We visited Munktiki there several years ago and it was a highlight of our trip. I feel deprived every time I read about a southern California event we can't attend. Monterey we could drive to.

When VampiressRN throws a tiki party just east of Sacramento there is always a good turn out; seems to me there are enough of us within driving distance of Monterey to make your event hop.

We would hope you would have lots of vendors, we always are looking for tikis to buy.

We will be at Tiki Oasis 7 our first big tiki event (because big events are always so far away), we should make yours our second, Wendy and Dan

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 12:44 pm   Permalink

*All right, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. If this is popular, there will be more.

Genteel people of the islands, I am inviting one and all to my first Monterey Tiki open house so that I can meet converted Tikiophiles, and maybe convert some friends into Tikiophiles. It will be held at Hula’s in Monterey on Friday, July 20th. I will be giving out small Lil’ Slugger ceramic shot mugs as an enticement to come by and introduce yourself.

For those who are interested, what would be a good time to meet? Be aware that the place gets packed on Friday nights, but the bar area should be able to handle a standing crowd. If people are interested in eating there I’m able to reserve tables together in their Tiki Room addition, provided the reservation agreed upon is early (between 5:00 and 7:00).

What say you? Any takers?

Aloha,
Okolehao

The Lil' Slugger

[ This Message was edited by: Okolehao 2007-07-11 21:28 ]

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 2:19 pm   Permalink

Some people have already asked about Saturday vs. Friday because of traffic from out of town. If ya'll would rather have this on Saturday the 21st, if you're actually considering coming, let me know.

And I know this pales by comparison to Tiki Farm, which is also happening that weekend, but I'm stuck here, as I would imagine many others will be too. Even if I'm the only one at the bar, I'll still be having a good time.

Okolehao

[ This Message was edited by: Okolehao 2007-07-11 22:52 ]

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 4:27 pm   Permalink

Although I'd love to attend, Coco Loco and I won't be able to make it because we will be at Tiki Farm's Big Ol' Bash. But we wish you the best for a great turnout for this event! Sounds like fun. If there is some cruel twist of fate and we don't head down to the Farm, then we'll see you at Hula's.

[ This Message was edited by: Mai Tai 2007-07-11 16:28 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-07-11 9:28 pm   Permalink

I would not be able to come on a Friday night, as I am in Sacramento and the traffic would prevent arrival at a decent time. This is very short notice, plus with the Big Ole Tiki Bash on July 21, your turnout might be problematic. If you do get response here and Saturday is a go...I will do my darnedest to get there.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 3:59 pm   Permalink

Pictures of a good facility in Monterey.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-18 15:59, Okolehao wrote:
Pictures of a good facility in Monterey.

Did I miss something? Where are the tikis? Tikis?

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2007-07-18 4:43 pm   Permalink

Looks like a Fun Place to Tiki-fy!! With a few things pulled out of your Magical Bag that place could be turned into a Tiki Paradise.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 5:03 pm   Permalink

BTW - The hotel management has said the parking lot could be used, for free, for vending.

Kolohe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-20 10:23 pm   Permalink

Me thinks I may have to make a day trip to Monterey.

View Profile of Kolohe Send a personal message to Kolohe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-21 07:53 am   Permalink

I have seen a few hotels in Monterey, and I would say that place has potential. All that lounge needs is proper lighting and some good decorating. Hell, it's got a bar, a stage and at least a bamboo / leopard start. I say, bring the Tiki's and do it up!

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation