FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Catering in DC/Baltimore Area?
Catering in DC/Baltimore Area?
mboszko

Posted: 2007-07-06 7:11 pm   Permalink

I'm planning a tiki party for the end of August, and after the debacle last year of trying to cook while my guests arrived (and continuing to cook until a couple of them had left), I have decided to go the catered route this year, so I can be part of the party as well.

Thing is, I'm having a heck of a time finding a caterer that does any sort of Hawaiian or Polynesian cuisine. Do any of you have any recommendations for existing caterers that fit the bill in the DC-Baltimore area (I'm in Laurel, MD, about halfway in between), or perhaps a caterer that would be willing to experiment with some recipes from the "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" book? Save that, any tips you might have on approaching caterers with this idea, and/or picking a good one would be appreciated.

Mahalo!
MB

View Profile of mboszko Send a personal message to mboszko  Email mboszko Goto the website of mboszko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-06 8:30 pm   Permalink

Last year I held a party, and I had a local Phillipine Restaurant handle the food. They cooked a small pig (30lbs?), and were also to provide spring rolls, vegetarian rolls and a few other items. The restaurant I used was called the Manila Cafe, located in Springfield, VA, but there may be a similar restaurant closer to where you live.

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-09 07:37 am   Permalink

There is a restaurant in Sterling VA near Dulles Airport called Pacific Restaurant that does catering. Here is their catering menu. I don't know what their service radius is, but it's quite a trek from Sterling to Laurel.

Anyway, here's their contact info along with info from two other places, all three listed on Critiki.

Tatas' Tiki Bar
Glen Burnie, MD, USA
Ph: (410) 766-5319

Tiki Bob's Cantina
34 Market Place
Baltimore, MD, USA
Ph: (410) 524-1320

Pacific Restaurant
46240 Potomac Run Plaza
Sterling, VA, USA
Ph: (703) 404-5500

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-06 19:11, mboszko wrote:
I'm planning a tiki party for the end of August, and after the debacle last year of trying to cook while my guests arrived (and continuing to cook until a couple of them had left), I have decided to go the catered route this year, so I can be part of the party as well.

Thing is, I'm having a heck of a time finding a caterer that does any sort of Hawaiian or Polynesian cuisine. Do any of you have any recommendations for existing caterers that fit the bill in the DC-Baltimore area (I'm in Laurel, MD, about halfway in between), or perhaps a caterer that would be willing to experiment with some recipes from the "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" book? Save that, any tips you might have on approaching caterers with this idea, and/or picking a good one would be appreciated.

Mahalo!
MB

Catch me next year and I can do it for you

Krakatowa

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mboszko

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 11:32, Krakatowa wrote:

Krakatowa

Why, are you starting a restaurant?

View Profile of mboszko Send a personal message to mboszko  Email mboszko Goto the website of mboszko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-11 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 11:39, mboszko wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-11 11:32, Krakatowa wrote:

Krakatowa

Why, are you starting a restaurant?

No, I retired from the restaurant business... but I have been known to cater a party or two. I have been feeling the cooking itch though.

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mboszko

Posted: 2007-07-11 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 14:47, Krakatowa wrote:
No, I retired from the restaurant business... but I have been known to cater a party or two. I have been feeling the cooking itch though.

Ahhh, keen. I'll keep you in mind for the 3rd Annual party then. (This year is the 2nd)

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation