FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
mangrovemike

Posted: 2007-07-08 2:30 pm   Permalink

I just got my latest delivery of TV passion fruit syrup in the plastic bottles. The color is different, the syrup tastes different and all of the drinks taste different than the last order I received... a year ago?? I have not been able to adjust the recipes to compensate and I am getting tired of throwing good rum down the drain. Anyone else had problems w/the drinks not tasting right recently w/new syrup? Maybe my tastebuds have gone haywire..??

View Profile of mangrovemike Send a personal message to mangrovemike  Email mangrovemike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-08 5:28 pm   Permalink

You're not imagining things. They changed the formula and removed all of the natural passion fruit from the product. (used to be 11% passion fruit).

It sucks ass now.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 8:14 pm   Permalink

That's ashame that TV cheaped out on their passion fruit syrup. There are still good alternatives! Fortunately I read Beachbum Berry's new book Sippin Safari and found that Finest Call produces a good passion fruit mixer. I just got two bottles in but have yet to crack them (finishing up the last of my good TV supply). They have 13% juice and may even end up being better than the TV stuff.

Here's a link to the Finest Call product:
http://www.finestcall.com/products/product-page.asp?id=40

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-09 07:59 am   Permalink

With the mysterious antics that seem to be going on in corporate TV, I'm not sure you can trust much of anything with a TV brand anymore. It seems like a company that's been bought out by opportunists that could care less about the quality and tradition that VJB, Jr always represented. Is it just me, or does the entire TV enterprise seem little more than a shell of its former self?

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 09:14 am   Permalink

I made my own passion fruit syrup from the recipe at the end of "Sippin' Safari" and it's both really great and really inexpensive. Between that and the navy grog syrup I made I don't feel like I'll ever need to place another order for those syrups.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 4:04 pm   Permalink

Beware, johnman, of the Finest Call product. It doesn't taste anything like Trader Vic's stuff. It's really thick like a nectar and is not as sweet as TV's. I too was really shocked when I got the latest batch of TV syrup and saw that it didn't look quite right.

Has anyone out there tried Torani's Passion Fruit??

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattesq
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-09 4:12 pm   Permalink

do not buy the torani syrup. i purchased both their orgeat and passion fruit syrups and they are drink killers.

View Profile of mattesq Send a personal message to mattesq      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

I didn't think the Torani was disgusting or anything, but it doesn't taste like the kind made from real passion fruit.

I liked the TV orgeat better than the Torani, but I can't buy TV in the store and now, with the passion fruit being changed, I have less reason to order from TV, so it's probably either going to be Torani or, more likely, make my own.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tin_omen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-09 9:44 pm   Permalink

*headsmack*! Figures. I've got an order in the air from last week that includes a bottle. Not a word in the product description about the change.

Guess it's back to Aunty Lilikoi's for another couple bottles, once the current crop run out. Good stuff, but runs roughly twice the price.

View Profile of tin_omen Send a personal message to tin_omen  Goto the website of tin_omen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 01:00 am   Permalink

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Monin yet. They make a great passion fruit syrup using real passion fruit. I can also recommend their orgeat.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 01:21 am   Permalink

Klas - I'll throw in for Monin too. I think it makes a far tastier drink than TV passion fruit syrup. The Monin ingredients are cane sugar, water, concentrated passion fruit juice, natural flavor and citric acid. That's pretty much the recipe for home made.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-10 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-09 21:44, tin_omen wrote:
<snip>Guess it's back to Aunty Lilikoi's for another couple bottles, once the current crop run out. Good stuff, but runs roughly twice the price.

Is this the stuff you're talking about--
Aunty Lilikoi Syrup? Interested to know how it compares in flavor and consistency?

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tin_omen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-10 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 13:05, UtopianDreem wrote:

Is this the stuff you're talking about--Aunty Lilikoi Syrup? Interested to know how it compares in flavor and consistency?

Yup. That's the stuff. Ingredient list from the bottle: Water, Passion Fruit Juice, Pectin.

It's sweet and very fruity... Heh, I just stuck my finger in the bottle to "refresh my memory", and ended up repeating the process 3-4 times. It's very tastey!:^D

As I recall, shipping was probably $10 for the pair of 10.5oz bottles I picked up last time.

Consistency coming out of the fridge is... well it's quite a bit thinner than maple syrup, but it's definitely kind of viscous and solidly thicker than water. A bit cloudy -- sort of a "pulp" effect.

A TC search should turn up other folks that recommend it... That's where I got the recommendation from.

The brand new bottle of TV's "Passion Fruit" syrup I just received tonight, on the other hand, is about the consistency of water. Even more depressing is the Ingredient List:
"High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Cloud (Water, Acacia Gum, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Glycerol, Ester of Wood Rosin, Brominated Vegtable Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative)), Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Xanthan gum, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Caramel coloring, FD & C Yellow 6 and red 40... Made in the USA"

Comparing Aunty Lilikoi's to the new'n-imroved TV's, side by side:
Smell: "Aroma of fresh fruit", vs. "Sharp chemical smell". Reminds me of a chemical smell from a dentists office.
Taste: "mmm-fruit!" vs. "Oh my god! How'd they get the TV chemical smell translated directly into a chemical taste?!" It's fricken awful!

I suppose folks have also mentioned that they screwed up the Grenadine as well. Here's My new TV Grenadine bottle's ingredients list:
"High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Artificial Flavor, Tartaric Acid, FD&C Red #40"
Fewer ingredients, but still no similarity to anything called "pomegranates". Likewise, "Made in the USA".

Hey, in for a dime, in for a dollar. Here's the ingredients from the latest new bottle of TV Orgeat (that some folks have been known to recommend):
"High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Cloud (Water, Acacia Gum, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Glycerol, Ester of Wood Rosin, Brominated Vegtable Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative)), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate (A Preservative), Natural and Artificial Flavors.

Hmmm, from the ingredients list, aside from the color and dyes, the Orgeat could almost pass for Passion Fruit syrup. 'Course neither one has any natural ingredients in them. :^P

Needless to say, none of them say a word about the need for refrigeration.

Now, what to do with my liter bottles of colored chemicals and water... I don't believe I'll be combining them with any decent rums...

This is the first time I've tried ordering from TV's stock, not exactly an encouraging outcome. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if they'd been up front and listed the ingredients from the revised formulation on the web site. It's pretty uncool trying to shill this garbage off as the same mixers. Esp. when you factor in $20 worth of shipping.

View Profile of tin_omen Send a personal message to tin_omen  Goto the website of tin_omen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 09:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 19:23, tin_omen wrote:
Needless to say, none of them say a word about the need for refrigeration.

I think you may have just hit on the (or at least a) reason they took the passion fruit out of their passion fruit syrup. The old version requires refrigeration after opening. The new version does not. Perhaps they were fielding a few too many complaints about spoiled contents. Not that I'm defending their decision mind you. I certainly won't be buying the new stuff. I'll stick to making my own.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-11 10:34 am   Permalink

On 2007-07-10 19:23, tin_omen wrote:

Quote:

Yup. That's the stuff. Ingredient list from the bottle: Water, Passion Fruit Juice, Pectin.

Not sure if that would work in a recipe that calls for syrup, though it may work well in recipes that call for passion fruit juice. Passion fruit syrup should be thick and very sweet and concentrated in flavor. I'll make the switch from TV's to Monin for my Knockout Punch, but I wish Monin was easier to find locally. I have made my punch with Torani and it tastes fine but it's slightly different in taste than it was with the old TV syrup.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2007-07-11 17:30 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation