FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-05 2:01 pm   Permalink

I tried the Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree in a large batch of Knockout Punch for a BBQ yesterday and the punch was a hit. Tasted straight it has an intense passion fruit flavor, is moderately sweet (perhaps a little less sweet than the old TV syrup), and is of a thick consistency.

So, if you need a lot of passion fruit syrup that you will use in a day or 2, try the Bum's homemade recipe. But if you're lazy like me, and want to have the stuff ready for whenever you need it (and don't care that it has corn syrup and preservatives), buy the Finest Call product.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 4:28 pm   Permalink

If you don't have Finest Call in your convenient liquor store, they're pretty reasonable on shipping (unlike Trader Vic's). I ordered a total of 8 1-liter bottles, and the standard shipping brought it to about $6.50/liter. Their shipping department gets your stuff out of the building like the place is on fire. FedEx had picked up my order within 4 hours of my placing it online, and delivered it in under 52 hours. Maybe I got lucky, but I was impressed.
I think their Orgeat is plenty close enough to TV's for my taste, closer than Torani. Haven't tried the Passion Fruit Puree, yet, though.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
urbanbeachcomber

Posted: 2007-08-11 03:36 am   Permalink

Aloha,

My name is Robert Wood, a tiki enthusiast and lover of all things polynesian. I own a tiki bar in the UK called TIKI TIKI: Home of the Urban Beachcomber and I hear your cries... In the UK we have never had the opportunity to use Trader Vic's Syrups (old or new) however having travelled to the states a few times on my yearly Tiki-Ti pilgrimage I have purchased the TV range and thought they were good and especially the Passion Fruit which ofcourse with its 11% fruit content was the best on the planet. However, I also recently read in Sippin Safari of Trader Vics ingredient change and I was horrified and pleased at the same time!

I have partnered with a small uk based boutique food company to produce a range of syrups under the banner of (808) Trading Co. which will have an initial portfolio of the following syrups:
(808) Trading Co. Real Pomegranate Grenadine
(808) Trading Co. Spiced Orgeat Syrup
(808) Trading Co. Rock Candy Syrup
(808) Trading Co. Passion Fruit Syrup (with 11% fruit content)
(808) Trading Co. Maraschino Syrup

I have personally overseen the production and recipes of these syrups and I promise they are the best on the market... I will be using them in my own bar and will be promoting them throughout the UK in the cocktail market!

As I am only 1 man and the company I have partnered with are also very small, there will only be a limited number of bottles produced per year. This ensures I can keep my eye on what is happening and keep standards to the highest levels...

These syrups are as close to the original or homemade recipes as you can buy in the commercial market and will be available in the next 30 days from:

www.808trading.com

I will look forward to your response to these products and hope that you enjoy using them as much as I enjoyed making them...

please do not hesitate to contact me in the meantime at:

polynesiankingpin@bartender.net

Mahalo to all x

View Profile of urbanbeachcomber Send a personal message to urbanbeachcomber  Email urbanbeachcomber     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
urbanbeachcomber

Posted: 2007-08-11 03:40 am   Permalink

Aloha,

I forgot to mention that the syrups from (808) Trading Co. will be available to all 50 states of the US and everywhere else in the world for that matter!

Mahalo to all x

[ This Message was edited by: urbanbeachcomber 2007-08-11 03:41 ]

View Profile of urbanbeachcomber Send a personal message to urbanbeachcomber  Email urbanbeachcomber     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tin_omen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-10 10:10 pm   Permalink

I know the Bum recommended Finest Call in "Surfin Safari", as have several folks in this thread and throughout the forum. On the strength of the recommendations -- and the fact that it's roughly a quarter as expensive as Aunty Lilikoi :^P -- I bought three bottles (only $4 a piece).

Has anyone else noticed that the FC Passion Fruit Puree has a bit of a "mint" or "menthol" flavor? I've still got a few ounces left of my last bottle of Aunty Lilikoi, and in comparison, the FC tastes kind of noticeably "minty".

I'm planning to keep using the FC and see if it "grows" on me, or if it's just specific to this particular bottle. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference?

View Profile of tin_omen Send a personal message to tin_omen  Goto the website of tin_omen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fairlanerodder62

Posted: 2007-09-11 2:21 pm   Permalink

Over the weekend I too went to Hi Time and purchased a bottle of the TV's passion fruit syrup. Just by looking at it, you can conclude that it was going to be a disappointment. I think the bright crush soda coloring, and the fact that passion fruit is not in the ingredients list, is a dead giveaway. Funny, I have the Finest Call syrup in my bar, but have never used it because I come across a few bottles of the TV syrup a year ago. I'm down to my last bottle of TV's, which I'm going to try and save for as long as I can, which probably won't be long thanks to delicious ZOMBIES!

I also noticed that faint hint of mint from the FC. It's also not as sweet as TV's, and to me, has a more passion fruity taste to it. Reminds me a little of the Ceres passion fruit juice.

Joel

[ This Message was edited by: fairlanerodder62 2007-09-11 14:24 ]

View Profile of fairlanerodder62 Send a personal message to fairlanerodder62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RikiTikiTavi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-29 5:29 pm   Permalink

Alas, I am sorry to report that Monin PF syrup also no longer includes any real passionfruit juice, only "passionfruit flavor."

Maybe you can still find some bottles of the old recipe on the shelf? I purchased my previous bottle earlier this year. The offending new bottle was purchases yesterday at Andronico's in Berkeley.

I think I'll just start making my own!

View Profile of RikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to RikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-30 08:35 am   Permalink

Last week I did a comparison between Finest Call (12% passion fruit juice), Monin Passion Fruit Syrup (29% juice of which 10% passion fruit) and Teisseire Passion Fruit Syrup (38% juice of which 20% passion fruit and 18% lemon juice). Out of the three the Tesseire was the clear winner for me, with the best passion fruit flavor. Maybe I would cut down a bit on the lemon or lime component in a drink because of its high lemon juice content. Second came Monin, although I do agree that it has a distinct orange flavor to it next to the passion fruit like the bum states in Sippin' Safari which is undesirable. I was kind of disappointed by the Finest Call, because it had kind of an artificial flavor to it. This may be the 'minty' flavor some of you mentioned in this thread.
Anyway, thought I'd share this. Has anybody else had good experiences with the Teisseire Passion Fruit Syrup?

[ This Message was edited by: LeChuck 2007-10-30 08:42 ]

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-30 09:35 am   Permalink

I haven't yet decided what to do with these...

...but as soon as they finish ripening (almost there as you can see), passion fruit syrup is a definite possibility. These fruits are yellow inside. I'll probably use one or two of them just as juice to go directly into drinks. The rest I might turn into syrup.

My recipe is very simple, but Scottes wouldn't like it cause he anal about measuring things. I make potions. I use pinches, dashes, handfuls, dustings, breaths, hails, bursts, and many other measures, most of which you won't find on any conversion scale.

Anyway, it's essentially passion fruit juice with as much high quality sugar stirred in (lately I'm on a turbinado kick) as it takes to reach the desired level of consistency and sweetness. Stir in a jigger of rum (I use Wray & Nephew White Overproof) and that's pretty much it. I don't like other flavors to interfere with the passion fruit except for the sugar. If I want to take the sugar flavor factor out as much as possible, I'll use a plain evaporated cane sugar.

I guess most people are accustomed to passion fruit syrup being red. As for red PF syrup, you can't go wrong with
Aunty Lilikoi from Kauai. It's not expensive. You can order online.

I never tried Tessiere Passion Fruit Syrup, but before I had a steady supply of almond milk for making Emergency Orgeat, used to keep a supply of Tessiere Orgeat. It was one of the better store-bought brands I could find.

Spelling, of course.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-11-05 05:51 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 5:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:
With the mysterious antics that seem to be going on in corporate TV, I'm not sure you can trust much of anything with a TV brand anymore.

I saw a bottle of Trader Vic's Hazelnut Liquor recently at the store. I asked the head bartender at Dallas TV about it and he said it's absolute sh#t.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2007-10-31 17:12 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tin_omen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-04 7:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-31 17:11, Kenike wrote:
Quote:
With the mysterious antics that seem to be going on in corporate TV, I'm not sure you can trust much of anything with a TV brand anymore.

I saw a bottle of Trader Vic's Hazelnut Liquor recently at the store. I asked the head bartender at Dallas TV about it and he said it's absolute sh#t.

I went back to the local store (Eden Prairie Liquors) where I'd previously seen a recent fresh influx of TV's branded liquor (Spiced Rum, Gold Rum, etc.) and picked up a 750 of the Macadamia Nut liqueur. They had 8 750's and another 8-9 of the smaller bottles.

I haven't had the TV Macadamia before -- I hope it hasn't also gone comparatively downhill. We made Macadamia Chi-Chi's out of it, and it tasted pretty good to us. Straight, it's character reminded me a bit of Frangelico (but Macadamia, rather than Hazelnut). Anyway, the new material this store acquired in the last few months seemed fine to me.

View Profile of tin_omen Send a personal message to tin_omen  Goto the website of tin_omen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 4:58 pm   Permalink

Just picked up three bottles of the "old style" TV Passion Fruit syrup at Holiday Wine Cellar. There is one left on the shelf. Not sure if there are any in back stock.
They are on the world wide web.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 5:29 pm   Permalink

As a note, it seems that Monin just changed their formula, too.

From
Kaiser Penguin's blog:

Quote:
I buy Monin because “passionfruit concentrate” is fairly high up on the ingredient list, and gives a good flavor. The next day I stopped by the g-store to procure another bottle to tide me over until my next rendezvous with my Hawaiian contact, who can obtain for me delicious, fresh lilikoi. It was not until I got the bottle home that I perused the label. Imagine, gentle readers, my shock and dismay to see that the ingredient list was now utterly devoid of natural, life-giving passionfruit content, loaded instead with vile humours listed only as “passionfruit flavor” and “natural and artificial flavors.”

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-06 06:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-05 17:29, Scottes wrote:
As a note, it seems that Monin just changed their formula, too.

From Kaiser Penguin's blog:

Quote:
...to tide me over until my next rendezvous with my Hawaiian contact, who can obtain for me delicious, fresh lilikoi...

Scottes, please forward to Rick at Kaiser.

Aunty Lilikoi can be purchased online, plus they ship to all parts of the US and internationally. Here is an excerpt from their site:

Shipping & Delivery –
    Shipping is done by United States Postal Service Priority Mail or International Priority Mail. See rates below. Rates apply to orders shipped to a single address. Please allow 5-7 days (to US addresses) or 10-14 days (to International addresses).

Their S&H charges are reasonable. There is no reason anyone has to wait to hook up with someone from Hawaii to get Aunty Lilikoi PF products as long as they live someplace accessible by USPS Priority (or International Priority) Mail.

And Aunty, if you're listening, YO-mee.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-06 07:28 am   Permalink

Done.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation