FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 3:02 pm   Permalink

Pappy, where do you get the Goya pulp around here? I haven't had any luck finding it....

Gnomon, great info as usual.

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2008-02-29 15:02 ]

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-29 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Gnomon, for all that great info. I have no problem with a little "fiber" in my cocktail - My syrup will not go unused! I was concerned because I recently had a bottle of Stirrings Grenadine grow some kind of mold when I left it out of the fridge for a few weeks. The Rose's Grenadine NEVER gets moldy - even after a few years on the shelf!

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-04 12:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-29 17:52, Kahuna Kent wrote:
Thanks, Gnomon, for all that great info. I have no problem with a little "fiber" in my cocktail - My syrup will not go unused! I was concerned because I recently had a bottle of Stirrings Grenadine grow some kind of mold when I left it out of the fridge for a few weeks. The Rose's Grenadine NEVER gets moldy - even after a few years on the shelf!

The disadvantage of using Rose's is that it sucks. Might as well be the syrup inside a bottle of Maraschino cherries (actually, the syrup inside a bottle of cherries tastes better IMO).

The advantage of using Rose's is that after you die, you will already have been embalmed .

At least Stirrings is notably pomegranate. Unless I make my own, I use Stirrings. I don't usually make grenadine syrup anymore. It has never had the strong presence of pomegranate that I like, so I just use pomegranate juice or pomegranate juice concentrate (more often). Between the RSC or PFS or other sweet elements in the concoction, the pomegranate juice has a better result, both in sweetness and flavor.

The way I found out about the quart jars of Aunty Lilikoi was that I asked her if she could ship it to me in a 55 gallon drum. She couldn't do that, but did offer me the undocumented quart jars.

When you get your AL PFS, you end up on a PF drink kick. I went through one quart in about a week. You have to force yourself to slow down.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badpelican

Posted: 2008-03-04 4:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The way I found out about the quart jars of Aunty Lilikoi was that I asked her if she could ship it to me in a 55 gallon drum. She couldn't do that, but did offer me the undocumented quart jars.

When you get your AL PFS, you end up on a PF drink kick. I went through one quart in about a week. You have to force yourself to slow down.

I just got my first shipment from Aunty Lilikoi recently. It does make a fine drink. I was wondering though, it is made from PF juice and pectin (and water too I beleive) as opposed to PF juice and sugar syrup... Do you think a little extra simple syrup would be needed to add the same "sweetness" or is the sugar content of the PF juice itself enough to get the proper result without any added sugars?

View Profile of badpelican Send a personal message to badpelican  Email badpelican     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-04 5:05 pm   Permalink

Heh - I should put a smiley ;> when I talk about Rose's syrup - I don't actually DRINK the stuff!

The other stuff that never goes bad is the Obrien's Hurricane mix that was recommended for "Fassionola" in the Don Beach recipes. Gnomon, do you know anything more "natural" that I could use for Fassionola?

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-05 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-04 16:19, badpelican wrote:
Quote:

I just got my first shipment from Aunty Lilikoi recently. It does make a fine drink. I was wondering though, it is made from PF juice and pectin (and water too I beleive) as opposed to PF juice and sugar syrup... Do you think a little extra simple syrup would be needed to add the same "sweetness" or is the sugar content of the PF juice itself enough to get the proper result without any added sugars?

Did you ever drink unsweetened passion fruit juice? Basically, it's a tart as a lemon or lime; probably moreso. Suffice it to say, it will make you pucker up and make a shriveled up face.

Actually, water and sugar are the most abundant ingredients in Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup. Next comes the passion fruit juice. Pectin is last and is used as a stablizing agent in certain foods. In food labeling, ingredients have to be listed in order of prominence in the product. Whatever is included in the largest quanity compared to the other ingredients is listed first, and so on down the line.

Anyway, I would not advocate any additional sugar. In fact, as I mentioned before, if you use AL PFS in a drink that typically calls for Rock Candy Syrup as well, you can leave out the RCS.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-05 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-04 17:05, Kahuna Kent wrote:
Heh - I should put a smiley ;> when I talk about Rose's syrup - I don't actually DRINK the stuff!

The other stuff that never goes bad is the Obrien's Hurricane mix that was recommended for "Fassionola" in the Don Beach recipes. Gnomon, do you know anything more "natural" that I could use for Fassionola?

How natural is fruit juicy Hawaiian Punch syrup?

Quick answer. Fassionola was never my thing, so I don't know. Longer answer is that there has been a fair amount of discussion on TC about Fassionola and its suitable substitute (if I recall correctly) which is Hawaiian Punch syrup, also not easy to find apparently.

Do a search for fassionola and you'll find the discussions. You'll also probably find Fassionola afficcionados who can recommend more natural substitutes.

bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-05 11:09 pm   Permalink

The Lilikoi is really good stuff. But, it is quite super-sweet. It works best when the another "sweet" ingredient is substituted with a "dry" version. The Finest Call is best in the traditional versions on cocktails IMHO.

[ This Message was edited by: bewarethe151 2008-03-06 22:08 ]

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 10:37 am   Permalink

Anybody have any luck finding the Goya frozen pulp over here on the Left Coast? I made a double batch this weekend using Ceres PF juice in the box. Very good, but I didn't realize until later that it also contains apple/pear juice. I must have made 3 blenders full of Spindrifts along with some Puka Punch. Always out of rum by Monday.

Thanks.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-17 1:17 pm   Permalink

Goya Foods of California
15320 Salt Lake Avenue
City of Industry, CA 91745
Tel: 626-961-6161
Fax: 626-937-2464

Guess you'll have to call them and ask what chains buy their pulp.

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 4:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks. I think I know where to get it.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-28 01:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-25 07:39, The Gnomon wrote:

Aunty Lilikoi (aka Lori & Tony Cardenas) Passion Fruit Products, an award-winning passion fruit company on Kaua’i, is a mom-n-pop operation in Wimea that makes all sorts of great passion fruit stuff, not just syrup. As for the syrup, a 10˝ oz bottle costs $5. The shipping and handling to the mainland, however, is $13. So if you order just one bottle, it comes to $22.

While that’s actually cheaper for me than homemade considering the price of the fresh fruits here; it’s not a very attractive proposition. The item is shipped via USPS Priority Mail in a flat rate box. You can get six 10˝ oz bottles (label says 10 oz, but it's 10˝) into one Priority Mail flat rate box. That's 6 x $5, or $30 for the syrup and with $13 S&H it comes to $43. That comes to a little more than $7 per 10˝ oz bottle; which sure beats $22 per bottle for buying just one.

As it so happens—[i]and here’s the secret
—not in the catalog, but strictly by request, she will make up quarts of her syrup in Mason jars (labeled by hand in black marker on the lid). That’s the way I get mine (see photos). One quart is about the same as three 10˝ oz bottles, but besides saving $3 there, you also get an indefinitely reusable quart Mason jar. For those who make lots of their own stuff, those jars come in handy.[/i]

A bit of bad news: Aunty Lilikoi no longer ships the quart bottles. I called to make the special request and was told she couldn't do that anymore because it was too difficult to ensure they wouldn't break.

So until I make it out to Hawaii in person to talk her into selling me a barrel, I'll be ordering the 10-ounce bottles. Very high-quality stuff.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-28 06:48 am   Permalink

Hmmm! That's a revolting development.

Next time I order PFS I will send her a signed release absolving her of any responsibility if her standard packaging doesn't hold up. Her jars always made it the 5000 miles from Wimea, Kauai to Washington DC safe and sound in the past. Maybe she'll make exceptions for certain customers.

RoseRed
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 01:00, Klas wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Monin yet. They make a great passion fruit syrup using real passion fruit. I can also recommend their orgeat.

yes, but NOT easy to find!

View Profile of RoseRed Send a personal message to RoseRed      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-29 6:56 pm   Permalink

I just ordered two 750ml bottles from www.moninstore.com - I enjoy the Finest Call, but once you open it, you have to use it before it goes bad, which usually isn't a problem. I still have a bottle of Finest call, but am waiting until I know I'll use it all within 2-3 weeks

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation