FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-29 9:19 pm   Permalink

Sorry to tell you guys, but a year or two ago Monin stopped using real ingredients in their syrup, it's all artifical flavors now, and it doesn't taste nearly as good.
I just tried making passion fruit from frozen pulp+sugar cane syrup, tastes good.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 01:08 am   Permalink

Ran, did you use the Goya frozen passion fruit pulp? I've been having a hard time finding that around my area, and finally called their distributors, who directed me to a place nearby in Oakland. I'm hoping to pick some up within the next day or so. Just curious if that's what you used, and how you like it compared to the old Trader Vic's stuff before it changed, as well as other passion fruit syrups.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 06:37 am   Permalink

Goya pulp isn't expensive at all. I forget what I paid for my last batch of passion fruit pulp. I still have three packs left. But fresh passsion fruits go for $2 per fruit around here, when you can find them. The pulp is the most practical way to go. It tastes pretty close to fresh when thawed and it is not coslty.

I'm not sure, but I think about 10 12 packs probably come in a single carton of Goya frozen pulp. I'm guessing that just about every major grocery store near everyone carries a line of Goya products, even if only a few. Any store that has an established account with Goya should be able to special order any Goya product, so you should probably go down to the corner store and ask the grocery manager to order you a carton.

I learned that little trick growing up in a household where two people were in supermarket management. Any time you want something that the store doesn't carry, just commit to buying a whole carton (or whatever minimum unit the store can order) and you can get just about anything delivered to your local market. That beats spending three times the money on gas and wasting lots of time if you can afford a carton of whatever it is and can deal with the quantity.

In this case, a carton of frozen pulp shouldn't be difficult to handle in size or cost. That's what I'd be doing if it wasn't as readily available in stores around here as it is.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 10:28 am   Permalink

Mai Tai,
I was able to find a local Cuban Market that should have it, but they were out of it, they should be getting some on Thursday.
I found another brand in a Mexican supermarket (forgot the name, sorry), and used the whole packet to make a bottle.
Yesterday I added some rum to it, as it's in the fridge and I'd like it to keep for a while.
If/when I find Goya, I'll probably doa taste test.
I remember the taste of old TV, but back when I was using a lot of PFS I used Monin mostly (when it had fruit), so the old TV taste is not branded on my taste buds. From what I could tell, the pulp/sugar syrup mix that I made certainly resembled that. My only gripe is that it wasn't very thick.

Yesterday I also called around until I found a way to get Funkin brand PF puree to a local liquor store...but I held off at the last moment, becasue they said that a case of five 1 liter packets would be ~$120!!!
I almost said yes, but then I was thinking - that is way too much money for what it is...the frozen pulp was ~$2.50 and that 1:1 sugar syrup filled an 750 ml bottle.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-30 10:28, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I was able to find a local Cuban Market that should have it, but they were out of it, they should be getting some on Thursday.

A Cuban market in SD? Is that the Latin American market on Morena?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-30 3:21 pm   Permalink

Gnoman - Thanks for the tips. I have tried the trick of asking my local grocery stores to order me a case. No dice, even though they carry Goya products. I was surprised that they wouldn't help me out, as the stores are fairly upscale, but I guess customer service these days just isn't what it used to be.

So I contacted Goya's distributors directly. Usually they can locate a nearby store, or order a case for someone, and have it delivered nearby. The distributor gave me the location of four Mexican grocery stores in the Bay Area that carry the Goya frozen passion fruit pulp, two are in San Francisco in the Mission district, and the other two are a short drive for me into good ol' O-Town.

Ran - a lot of folks around here use the Funkin packs of passion fruit puree. But they usually split up the big 5 liter order amongst 4 or 5 people, that way it only costs about $20 per person. That stuff is supposed to go a long way, since it still needs to be made into a syrup, and it's really easy to work with since it's already in liquid form.

I am going to buy some of the Goya passion fruit pulp today. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the frozen pf pulp that you just tried out. I still have a couple bottles of the Trader Vic's pf syrup, and I think I still might have a bottle of Monin's too. And I have access to the Funkin pf puree. So I think I'll make up a batch of everything. Maybe we can have a taste comparison, at Tiki Oasis?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 06:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-30 15:21, Mai Tai wrote:
Gnoman - Thanks for the tips. I have tried the trick of asking my local grocery stores to order me a case. No dice, even though they carry Goya products. I was surprised that they wouldn't help me out, as the stores are fairly upscale, but I guess customer service these days just isn't what it used to be.

Unemployment must be at an all time low. Employers must be so desperate to staff their operations that they accept people who can only provide customer disservice. I've been using plastic lately, are stores still taking cash? USD? Or do I have to dig out my Euros? Do any brick-and-mortars take PayPal?

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-30 14:12, arriano wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-06-30 10:28, kick_the_reverb wrote:

A Cuban market in SD? Is that the Latin American market on Morena?

Yes, that is the place
I'll see if they got any of that tomorrow, if I have the time.
Ran

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 6:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Ran - a lot of folks around here use the Funkin packs of passion fruit puree. But they usually split up the big 5 liter order amongst 4 or 5 people, that way it only costs about $20 per person. That stuff is supposed to go a long way, since it still needs to be made into a syrup, and it's really easy to work with since it's already in liquid form.

I am going to buy some of the Goya passion fruit pulp today. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the frozen pf pulp that you just tried out. I still have a couple bottles of the Trader Vic's pf syrup, and I think I still might have a bottle of Monin's too. And I have access to the Funkin pf puree. So I think I'll make up a batch of everything. Maybe we can have a taste comparison, at Tiki Oasis?

I thought of splitting the funkin batch amongst a few people, but I don't know that there are as many SD folks that are into mixing at home vs you guys in SF. Even if I just buy one, it works out to $24 per 2 liters of syrup, while the forzen stuff is $6-8 for the same quantity.
I'd love to do a taste test, If I get some Goya, I'll keep it in the freezer, plus I'll get the other frozen pulp that I found. Then we can prepare it on one of the days at Oasis, and do the taste test. Weird Uncle Tiki mentioned to me that he gets pulp from Whole Foods Market. I can probably look for some and bring that, too.
We could taste a little bit of each syrup, then mix in a drink and compare.

Ran

Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 8:25 pm   Permalink

Has anybody tried Da Vinci's PF or the Boba Tea brand? http://www.bobateadirect.com/Passion-Fruit-Syrup-pr-280.html

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skillbilly

Posted: 2009-07-09 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

So I contacted Goya's distributors directly. Usually they can locate a nearby store, or order a case for someone, and have it delivered nearby. The distributor gave me the location of four Mexican grocery stores in the Bay Area that carry the Goya frozen passion fruit pulp, two are in San Francisco in the Mission district, and the other two are a short drive for me into good ol' O-Town.

Hey Mai Tai

I've been trying to find this in the East Bay. I found Coco Lopez in Alameda but no Goya so far.
Would you mind sharing where you found the PF pulp in O-Town?

I'm about to order some of the Aunty Lilikoi but would really like to try the Goya.

View Profile of skillbilly Send a personal message to skillbilly  Email skillbilly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsunrisefl

Posted: 2009-11-13 09:42 am   Permalink

In beachbum berry's book Sippin' Safari, he suggests using Finest Call passion fruit puree mix. Or he says you can make your own with frozen passion fruit pulp and equal amounts of sugar syrup. You can usually find the pulp in most latin markets.

View Profile of jimsunrisefl Send a personal message to jimsunrisefl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-13 10:29 am   Permalink

Make our own with frozen passion fruit pulp? Say. That just might work. Why didn't we think of that before? Thanks.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 08:54 am   Permalink

I now endorse Aunty Lilikoi's PFS. I ordered a few bottles and tried it last night. The taste is right. It's what we got used to with TV PFS. Two things: 1) Shake it before pouring 2) it is a bit stronger tasting than TV's, so you will want to dial back the amounts a bit to compensate.

Having an "off the shelf" source that has a consistant taste makes it a winner for me.

One real problem with it is the order form is not SSL. If that is a worry, call and order instead.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 08:54, Swanky wrote:
I now endorse Aunty Lilikoi's PFS. I ordered a few bottles and tried it last night. The taste is right. It's what we got used to with TV PFS. Two things: 1) Shake it before pouring 2) it is a bit stronger tasting than TV's, so you will want to dial back the amounts a bit to compensate.

Having an "off the shelf" source that has a consistant taste makes it a winner for me.

One real problem with it is the order form is not SSL. If that is a worry, call and order instead.

It's about time you finally tried their stuff. Lori Cardenas (aka Ms. Aunty Lilikoi....I guess Tony is Mr. Aunty Lilikoi) used to make up quart jars for me, which made it possible to ship more product for the same postage, but she doesn't do that any more because she can't ensure that they won't break in transit. The PFS is reasonably priced, but the shipping to the mainland is expensive.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation