FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-20 10:57 am   Permalink

Who won the tikis by BOSKO and Tiki Diablo?
Do you have pictures of those tikis?
I almost flew there just to get a shot at those!
I've met them both and they are two great guys.
Would have love to carve with these masters!
Not to mention Crazy Al!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 10:57, tikiskip wrote:
Who won the tikis by BOSKO and Tiki Diablo?
Do you have pictures of those tikis?
I almost flew there just to get a shot at those!
I've met them both and they are two great guys.
Would have love to carve with these masters!
Not to mention Crazy Al!

What, the rest of us are boring old jack-offs who turn out splinterey messes? Out of all of the tikis being chopped, sold, pimped, burned, stained, and changing hands this passed weekend(legally or illegally!), why are Bosko, Diablo and Crazy Al the only ones you care about? Broaden your horizons, man.......there were a LOT of AMAZING choppers at Oasis this year, so don't get stuck on Celeb carvers.

That being said, this whole thing would NEVER have happened if not for our good pals, Cammo, Mieko, Kate, Buzzy, Clysdale, Babalu, H20, Lee, Tikidav, Fly-Boy(who stood next to me the whole time, carving on freshly chopped legs!), 4WD, Eric,Birdman, Cheeky(for her lending me her sharp tools to cut myself with),, etc.....(if I've missed anyone, I blame the drugs). I was just some biker-punk-kid who was looking for a fresh scene and some fun new people, and Ya'll turned me into a fully addicted, tiki carving FREAK, and it is a most humbling pleasure to be a part of the group!!

I have a TON more thank-yous and pictures to post, but I have to go to El Centro to pick up the dog and kid. Will be posting tonight, so stay tuned!!!

[ This Message was edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-20 12:22 ]

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 12:47 pm   Permalink

I had a great time, even though I was only able to make it down for a few hours yesterday afternoon! Still great fun! Can't wait till the next chop chop!
Billy B was great fun to have as a carving neighbor!
And thanks to Buzzy for the log (and half round-- it'll make a cool mask!)!!!!!!!

The only question I have for everyone-- where'd you all get them sawhorses? I gotta get one of those!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiJosh 2007-08-20 16:19 ]

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-20 9:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The only question I have for everyone-- where'd you all get them sawhorses? I gotta get one of those!

Hey Josh- You can get them sawhorses at Home Depot or just about any hardware store. All ya do is nail a couple O' 2X4s to the sides and whamo! Instant Tiki carving station.

Super big thanks to Cammo and everyone else involved for putting the Carving Village deal together. Good times............good times.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 02:06 am   Permalink

Anyone remember what a great time Mieko had at the Bali Hai? I have proof!!

[ This Message was edited by: billybobaloo 2007-08-21 02:10 ]

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-21 04:56 am   Permalink

"why are Bosko, Diablo and Crazy Al the only ones you care about? Broaden your horizons, man.......there were a LOT of AMAZING choppers at Oasis this year, so don't get stuck on Celeb carvers"

Did not mean to dis anyone. Just wanted to see their stuff too.
I don't know of the carvers you talk of that's all.
But I will say that when someone comes up to your tiki
and says "That's a Bosko Or C al, Diablo" That's when you have made it.
When you have a style that is all your own, and that's hard to do with tiki.
It's kind of been done a lot.
Carve on.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 06:32 am   Permalink

"When you have a style that is all your own, and that's hard to do with tiki... bla bla bla etc etc."

Bro, you gotta go over to the Carving section of TC right now and look around. I mean, really dude. 4WDtiki has the most distinctive and recognizable style going. His cube-y Maois are REALLY getting popular.

And most people at Oasis were climbing over each other, paying pro carver Buzzy outlandish prices for the classic Bay Park Buzzy signed photos. That guy's fame is legendary. I think his photos sold out in like 27 minutes.

And Billy Bobaloo sold every Tiki he made at Oasis; some were international sales! Two were sold before he finished them!

Laytah.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 06:47 am   Permalink

It seemed like there were quite a few carvers that were swamped at their booths this year, and didn't get to carve, including the Buzz Master...I did get to meet Danny on Sunday though. If your out there Danny...I really dug your mugs man! Brought one that I'm drinking out of right now. Look forward to carving with you some day too. Huge thanks to both Diablo and Bosco for donating those pieces to the Sunday auction for the good of carving. Mad props!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 07:01 am   Permalink

that works...the 22nd is the only weekend I have really in Sept also...nice choice!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-21 04:56, tikiskip wrote:
"why are Bosko, Diablo and Crazy Al the only ones you care about? Broaden your horizons, man.......there were a LOT of AMAZING choppers at Oasis this year, so don't get stuck on Celeb carvers"

Carve on.

Skip.........you're just making it worse. Please go play somewhere else. The sad thing here is that you don't even think you've insulted anyone.

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-21 08:40 am   Permalink

"Look at me! Look at me!"

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 08:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-21 08:18, billybobaloo wrote:
Quote:

Carve on.

Skip.........you're just making it worse. Please go play somewhere else. The sad thing here is that you don't even think you've insulted anyone.

The sad thing is that you and many more beginners have delusions of grandeur. Not saying I can do better (I don't carve), or that you should stop carving, but for you to think that you're even close to the level of the artists you mentioned is absurd.
And I don't mean the technical skill of carving - I mean the creative style. I don't say this to offend, I say this to give you a little reality check. A little humility goes a long way.

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 09:06 am   Permalink

Thanks Mieko for letting me use your chisels on Friday. I was hoping to get the group log a good head start but alas it was not an idea that was going to catch on.

maybe another time.

Bummed I was trapped in a vending booth on the big carving day... I should have carved..

Thanks Cammo for going to so much trouble making those pendants they really turned out nice

Thanks Buzzy for transporting and stripping those logs... I know its a lot of work....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-21 08:48, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-08-21 08:18, billybobaloo wrote:
Quote:

Carve on.

The sad thing is that you and many more beginners have delusions of grandeur. Not saying I can do better (I don't carve), or that you should stop carving, but for you to think that you're even close to the level of the artists you mentioned is absurd.
And I don't mean the technical skill of carving - I mean the creative style. I don't say this to offend, I say this to give you a little reality check. A little humility goes a long way.

No, the sad thing is watching a bunch of grown men piss themselves over carvers like a bunch of little girls at an NSync concert. Saying that one carver is better than the other is like saying that grape is better than strawberry........it's all opinion. You wanna be a little carver groupie, you go ahead.

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-21 10:31 am   Permalink

billybobaloo Quote
"Since this is the Buzzy worship thread, here's my contribution~
IT'S BUZZY!!!!!"

Like little girls? You may have something there.

Babalu Just took a look at your stuff and it's looking good.
Porps to you man! Awesome.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation