FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Tak Shindo fans ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tak Shindo fans ?
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 07:52 am   Permalink

Great discussion guys!

In my experience I find it necessary to own both the mono and stereo copies of albums that I really like. Sometimes the mono copy is sounds better, sometimes the stereo. It all depends on how it was mixed.

Sometimes they are totally different recording sessions with different instrumentation. One for instance is the "Space Escapade" album by Les Baxter. The mono copy has a really cool electronic instrument playing on some tracks while the stereo copy does not. Another album by Les Baxter is "Ports of Pleasure." The mono version actually has two tracks that do not appear on the stereo copy. Sometimes even the chronological order of the songs have been changed.

I have yet to compare the Tak Shindo albums.

God I love vinyl!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 08:22 am   Permalink

"Ports of Pleasure," I believe, was the first stereo album Capitol issued. In the early days of stereo, the mono was not mixed from stereo or multitracks; they utilized two sets of microphones and engineers. So, the mic placement and overall mix on albums like "Ports" and "Escapade" is completely different.

In addition, both of those albums contain overdubs on the mono that are not on the stereo. On "Ports" there is a piano solo over "Pearls of Ceylon," choir on "Harem Silks of Bombay" and additional piano and percussion on "Spice Island Sea Birds." Agree, if you love Les Baxter, you need these two albums in mono and stereo.

Much as I love Capitol mono LPs, "Ports of Pleasure" is one of the best stereo albums I ever heard, hands down. I haven't heard the Cherry Red CD, but the "Exotic Moods" collection really botched the sound on the tracks from "Ports of Pleasure." "Tahiti" especially sounded bad on "Exotic Moods."

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation